New(ish) arrival

mvp1222

Established Member
So I finally pulled the trigger and picked up #4738 a few months back. (Thanks for all the help Mike) Trailoring her back was definitely not worth the 400 bucks I saved. That day like 40 tornadoes hit Ohio, and it was white knuckle driving the whole way. I honestly expected to look in the rear view mirror and see her off in a ditch. Since then, work really picked up and she hasn’t been out of the garage too much.

As it has finally warmed up here in sunny Western PA, I am hoping to make it to a few car cruises, but have a few lingering issues that I want to resolve. Hoping some of you could help out so I don’t spend the whole summer chasing down the wrong fixes. My goal for this car is a nice, stock looking garage queen, that Ill occasionally jump on when getting on the highway. No track time, no autocrossing.

The car currently has the M179 (24mm ET) Cobra wheels on it. I picked up a set of 5 lug Cobra turbine replicas (29mm ET) which I want to use (thanks Hermann). However, there is some moderate rubbing which I can live with now, but I think will get worse with 5mm more offset (rim edge sits 5 mm further in). After speaking with the previous owner I have determined the following mods are currently in place:
1. Ford B Springs front and back (about 1.5 inch drop, I think this may be the culprit)
2. 28 spline Ford Motorsport axles on the rear with North Race Car brackets and 4-lug rotors re-drilled for 5 lug fitment.
3. Baer brakes on the front. Some mods have been done to this
a. The 6 piston calipers (the $2900 setup) used by the originally owner for autocrossing have been replaced with 03 Cobra 2 piston calipers.
b. The rotors are the ones which came from the Baer kit.
c. 94/95 spindles which have been modified to fit the Baer rotors. Apparently this is how Baer keep you using their rotors.

When the wheel is hard over to one side (take left for instance), the left wheel trailing edge rubs on the A-arm and the Right wheel leading/top edge rubs on the strut.

The owner who did most of the brake work had coilovers all the way around, so he said he never had any problems.

Here are some solutions I am considering:

1. CC plates to move the strut out of the way…But that may screw up the C/C too much.
2. A less aggressive spring…I’ve heard that HandR springs are only 3/4” drop.
3. Scrapping the whole suspension setup for coilovers that I can adjust.
4. Spacers 5/8” spacers on the front. And maybe 3/8” on the rear. Either hub centric or just the plain plates.

I haven’t had anything apart yet, and I have been pretty busy. Just hoping someone can either confirm that 1.5” drop is too much, or offer some advice.

On the bright side, the interior is SUPER clean...and the tints already been removed.
Thanks in advance for reading and any CONSTRUCTIVE comments.

Mark
2012-03-07_12-29-53_664.jpg

buddha93

Established Member
Sounds like too many variables that could be the cause of the rubbing.....lol!

I would be inclined to guess that a different spring would help, but the car doesn't look to have an overly slammed stance to it. One thing you didn't mention was the actual tire size. Up front, anything past a 245 width gets tight and you really have to watch what parts your mixing matching. What was the mod to the spindes to make them work with the Baer stuff? Some sort of machining I'm guessing?

Ford had the MK2300 kit which is kinda similar to what you have, though I believe your better out back with the North Car setup. Anyway, that kit pretty much required rolling fenders and what not to get an acceptable amount of clearance.

There are a few guys in here that have done the 5 lug conversion, so I'm sure they can chime in. Otherwise, hop over to the Corral and see what those guys are running and compare notes.

BTW, nice snag. Always liked the look of those wheels on a Fox Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread