New Ignition Key and Opener? Lost mine!

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Guys: Over the weekend, a great friend from college showed up. I took him for a ride in the GT500 and even let him drive it back. Never saw the key since then... He has since flew back to east coast and says he does not have the key. Anyway, it could be around here somewhere, but I am down to my only spare. How hard is it to get a new key and program the openers?

Thanks

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you have an administrator key, one of the originals that has not been turned into a MyKey, you can buy a key off of eBay and use your original to program the new key.

Flip-Key

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
You cannot program your own key if you only have one left. Ask me how I know.:nonono:

It will cost you anywhere from $75-150 to have a Dealership program another key for you.

That does not include the price of the second key, which you can purchase and have cut, yourself.

If you have two keys, you can program the third key yourself.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Programming a Spare Key
Note: A maximum of eight coded keys can be programmed to your vehicle. Only four of these eight can be integrated keyhead transmitters.
You can program your own integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock coded keys to your vehicle. This procedure will program both the engine immobilizer key code and the remote entry portion of the remote control to your vehicle.
Only use integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock keys. You must have two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible. See your authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed coded keys are not available.

Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.
1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of turning the ignition off, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.

5. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.

7. After three seconds but within 20 seconds of turning the ignition off and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition.

8. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

The key will start the vehicle’s engine and will operate the remote entry system (if the new key is an integrated keyhead transmitter) if it has been successfully programmed. The theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and then go out to indicate successful programming.

If the key was not successfully programmed, the theft indicator light may flash on and off. Wait 20 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 8.

Take your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the new key programmed
if you are still unsuccessful.
Wait 20 seconds and then repeat this procedure from Step 1 to program an additional key.

Snoopy49

Established Member
You cannot program your own key if you only have one left. Ask me how I know.:nonono:

It will cost you anywhere from $75-150 to have a Dealership program another key for you.

That does not include the price of the second key, which you can purchase and have cut, yourself.

If you have two keys, you can program the third key yourself.

I forgot about the second key. Another thing to remember is the flip key cannot be used as an admin key, it will not act as a replacement for an admin key if you try to program another key.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Guys, thanks! I found the key. Being a college buddy, we perhaps enjoyed too much Tequila AFTER the GT500 spin and one of the two of us misplaced it. Crisis averted, but, I definitely want to get a spare or two. I am not sure what the admin key means. Where can I get some replacements for the admin key, or do I even bother? I could get a flip key then put the two originals in my safe perhaps.... thoughts? Thanks!

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Guys, thanks! I found the key. Being a college buddy, we perhaps enjoyed too much Tequila AFTER the GT500 spin and one of the two of us misplaced it. Crisis averted, but, I definitely want to get a spare or two. I am not sure what the admin key means. Where can I get some replacements for the admin key, or do I even bother? I could get a flip key then put the two originals in my safe perhaps.... thoughts? Thanks!

This is the replacement key I purchased:

http://www.ekeyfobs.com/ford-remote-key-fob164r8073.html

I called them to verify that it would work with my 2012 GT500.

I then had it cut at a local hardware store for a few bucks.

After that you can program it yourself since you have two other keys.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
OK guys, this was an amazing adventure. I still have not figured out how to program the key FOB to lock/unlock the doors, but, I do have the ignition working....

I ordered the Flip Key as linked above, two of them. Came in quickly and look pretty nice. I took them to ACE Hardware to be cut, no dice. They could not figure out how to cut the key with the "flipper" end on it... I then ended up at 3 additional locksmith shops. Shops A & B refused to real with a key from a 3rd party. Shop C (Andy's Locksmith) was RUDE, but said "sure".... I do not even think they tried... the key did not even look close to the factory cut. Instead of arguing, I left. The issue again seemed to be removing the KEY from the FOB. Searching the internet, I realized that the key could be removed by pushing out a pin. You can only see the pin as you open/close the key. It was not too hard to get out.

Once the keys were removed from the FOB, my trusted colleague at ACE hardware cut the two keys spot on! However, putting the pins back in the keys was a bee-autch! This is not for the short tempered and seems to be a really stupid design in retrospect.

So, on to the programming. I followed the instructions above and sure enough, the ignition fired (THANKS!). However, anyone know how to program the FOB for the door locks and trunk release? I used Google and tried two different methods on the internet, no luck so far....

All in all, this key thing was a real PIA. I would not go through this again and just pay the "stealership" to get a spare key.

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the 2013 Mustang Owners Manual.
Replacement of Integrated Keyhead Transmitters and Coded Keys
Note: Your vehicle comes equipped with two integrated keyhead transmitters.
The integrated keyhead transmitter functions as both a programmed ignition key that operates all the locks and starts your vehicle, as well as a remote keyless entry transmitter. A maximum of eight coded keys can be programmed to your vehicle; only four of these eight keys can be integrated keyhead transmitters with remote entry functionality.
If your integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock coded keys are lost or stolen and you don’t have an extra coded key, you will need to have your vehicle towed to an authorized dealer. The key codes need to be erased from your vehicle and new coded keys will need to be programmed.
Replacing coded keys can be very costly. Store an extra programmed key away from your vehicle in a safe place to help prevent any inconveniences. Please visit an authorized dealer to purchase additional spare or replacement keys.

Programming a Spare Key
Note: A maximum of eight coded keys can be programmed to your vehicle. Only four of these eight can be integrated keyhead transmitters.
You can program your own integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock coded keys to your vehicle. This procedure will program both the engine immobilizer key code and the remote entry portion of the remote control to your vehicle.
Only use integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock keys. You must have two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible. See your authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed coded keys are not available.

Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of turning the ignition off, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.

5. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.

7. After three seconds but within 20 seconds of turning the ignition off and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition.

8. Turn the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

The key will start the vehicle’s engine and will operate the remote entry system (if the new key is an integrated keyhead transmitter) if it has been successfully programmed. The theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and then go out to indicate successful programming.

If the key was not successfully programmed, the theft indicator light may flash on and off. Wait 20 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 8.

Here are the additional instructions, if needed, to get the buttons to work. I had to use these on my key.

1.Close all doors, then open drivers door and press the Unlock button on driver’s door while it is open, insert key into ignition.

2.Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 8 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming mode. (Off is the position where you can remove your key, RUN is the position just shy of starting your car.)

3.Within 10 seconds press any button on the first keyless remote to be programmed. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming. If you only have one remote then skip to step 5.

4.Within 10 seconds, press any button on the second keyless remote. Door locks will cycle again to confirm programming. Repeat step 4. for all other remotes.

5.Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

If the above procedure does not program the remote, please try this procedure
1. Turn the ignition from OFF to RUN 4 times within 3 seconds.

2. Turn the ignition OFF. The system will chime to confirm programming mode.

3. Within 10 seconds, press any button on first keyless remote. The system will chime once to confirm programming.

4. Within 10 seconds, press any button on second keyless remote. System will chime once to confirm programming.

5. Turn ignition to RUN to exit programming mode.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The issue again seemed to be removing the KEY from the FOB. Searching the internet, I realized that the key could be removed by pushing out a pin. You can only see the pin as you open/close the key. It was not too hard to get out.

Flip Key Pin.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread