new heads.... Help!!

87stang

Established Member
I have a 1987 mustang 5.0 with 119,000 miles. I have basic bolt ons like a cam, and a full exhaust. Well, i would like my next upgrade to be heads. If i put on heads that are good for like 50+ hp and a few other things with stock internals, will this be safe? i dont know where that point is to start uprading the internals. Any input would be helpful, thanks alot guys.

lone sailor

Established Member
Aftermarker heads will be fine with stock internals. Most of the time you wouldn't even think twice about that unless you're going with forced induction. I know quite a few guys that are even running a good amount of boost with the stock forged bottom end.

87stang

Established Member
no I havent converted to mass air. To be honest I dont really get that whole mass air thing. I feel stupid saying that but maybe some explaining will help me understand.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
87stang said:
no I havent converted to mass air. To be honest I dont really get that whole mass air thing. I feel stupid saying that but maybe some explaining will help me understand.

what kind of cam is in your car?

87stang

Established Member
I dont know the lift or duration but I know it's a lunati. When I bought the car the cam was already in there. I have been looking at the edelbrock performer 5.0 heads but I dont know if I should get them when I dont know the specs of the cam.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
That's why unless provided with a receipt, never buy a car with a supposed cam in it. If it TRULY has a cam, it's a speed density safe cam which won't really help with performance all that much.

86-88 5.0 mustangs are Speed Density. This uses a preprogrammed set of numbers that will calculate air/fuel ratio.

89-93 5.0's are mass air cars. This uses a meter that measures how much air is coming through the induction tube and sends a signal to the PCM to determine how much fuel to use.

When doing major mods, especially a cam, mass air is recommended on fuel injected cars. Now, your car should be ok when doing a headswap, but if your car really does have a cam, it's not a very aggressive one. AFR 165's are probably the best emissions legal heads out there.

87stang

Established Member
thanks for the info. Do you know how hard it is to do a mass air conversion? If its not that difficult I might go for it, although it is pretty pricey.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I had edelbrock performer heads but wish I would've went with the 165's. A guy that used to work on my car put them on his AOD coupe and he said the difference was night and day. Most aluminum heads will get you at least a 40rwhp gain.

For the mass air conversion you need an A9L for a manual tranny or an A9P for an auto tranny. You can usually pick those up for about $100 on the corral. You'll also need a harness, I think summit sells them for around $40 or so. Then a mass air meter of your choice and the induction hoses or a Cold Air kit for mass air cars. If you use a stock meter and induction hoses the swap will cost around $150.

SlvrBullet86GT

Established Member
the best way to go is 351 heads, but that only works if you change your push rods and im shure you dont want to get into that. O and if you have speed dencity. you can make decent power out of that but mass air is the way to go. only thing i dont like is the cobra computer. so alot of heads are good. just got to find the ones that suit your needs.

lone sailor

Established Member
poopnut2 said:
I had edelbrock performer heads but wish I would've went with the 165's. A guy that used to work on my car put them on his AOD coupe and he said the difference was night and day. Most aluminum heads will get you at least a 40rwhp gain.

For the mass air conversion you need an A9L for a manual tranny or an A9P for an auto tranny. You can usually pick those up for about $100 on the corral. You'll also need a harness, I think summit sells them for around $40 or so. Then a mass air meter of your choice and the induction hoses or a Cold Air kit for mass air cars. If you use a stock meter and induction hoses the swap will cost around $150.

You can actually use either one of those computers with either tranny. There are like 8 or 9 different computers and they all work for an auto or 5 speed.

However I do agree with you that the AFR 165's are a badass aluminum head :rockon:

87stang

Established Member
well, thanks for all the help guys, IM definitely going to go with the AFR 165cc heads. they sound like a good buy. I did see that the edelbrock performer heads make 70+ hp but by speaking with some of you that must be off a little bit. :shrug:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
lone sailor said:
You can actually use either one of those computers with either tranny. There are like 8 or 9 different computers and they all work for an auto or 5 speed.

However I do agree with you that the AFR 165's are a badass aluminum head :rockon:

You cannot use an A9L with an automatic. The PCM isn't set to shift an automatic transmission. You can use an A9P for a stick but to avoid any little problems including throwing a code, it's better to use the L for a stick and the P for an auto.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
SlvrBullet86GT said:
the best way to go is 351 heads, but that only works if you change your push rods and im shure you dont want to get into that. O and if you have speed dencity. you can make decent power out of that but mass air is the way to go. only thing i dont like is the cobra computer. so alot of heads are good. just got to find the ones that suit your needs.

Why put in a set of heavy ass 351 iron heads when he could put in the AFR 165's, get just as good flow numbers and shed 40lbs in the process? Only reason to get 351 heads is because they can be had for cheaper than dirt.

lone sailor

Established Member
poopnut2 said:
You cannot use an A9L with an automatic. The PCM isn't set to shift an automatic transmission. You can use an A9P for a stick but to avoid any little problems including throwing a code, it's better to use the L for a stick and the P for an auto.

Well I know I put the A9L in both of them and the worked just fine for me. I know several others that have none it recently without problems. :-D

Anyway, back to the heads...... :pepper:

Last edited:

SlvrBullet86GT

Established Member
A9l's are the preferd computer for all mustangs. and actualy your very wrong. 351 heads change a lot of things. such as better performance changes the compression ratio and more. also changing the #1 and #6 fireing order makes it run a whole hell of a lot stronger.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
SlvrBullet86GT said:
A9l's are the preferd computer for all mustangs. and actualy your very wrong. 351 heads change a lot of things. such as better performance changes the compression ratio and more. also changing the #1 and #6 fireing order makes it run a whole hell of a lot stronger.

Changing to an aftermarket set of heads can change your compression ratio depending on the size of the combustion chamber. If 351 heads are so good how come all the quicker cars are running aftermarket aluminum and iron heads?

Users who are viewing this thread