New guy

Kshelby

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Kyle. I do not own a Shelby... yet. You'll probably see me posting around here and there trying to learn as much as I can and what not too about these beautiful cars until I can save enough and pull the trigger on one.
I have been a previous member on this site, unfortunately after I sold my terminator I slowly stopped signing in to the point where I forgot my password and couldn't recover due to email issues.
SOOOO I did have a 2.6H kenne bell MC cobra for a few years and I absolutely loved it, however it was a money pit lol... Ended up selling cause the oilfield industry took a massive nose dive 4 years ago and job security was a concern at the time... that and the old lady said it was either her or the car, and as much as I would have loved to say her.... we all know how that goes....
Always told myself that I would get another Cobra but after being in/driving a Shelby I'm in love. So here I am, looking at taking something new on. I'm not too fond of the motors or drive trains in these cars and how much power they can handle before running into restriction/problems. Coming out of the bag they do pack a great punch so they must stand up quite well before you start doing surgery on them. Any tips on anything about them would be great!

Kyle

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Welcome, good choice starting with a '13-14 if you can afford it.
Read the stickies and use the search.
No need to mod right away.
My advice is always drive it for a few months and decide what YOU want to improve.
I can tell you 4.10s, Lund tune and Nitto DRs and it's the best start by far.
Like anything, it's easy to get carried away, my car now makes 965rwhp on the way to 1100 soon :)
Good luck.
-J

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Welcome to the SVTP.
From what I've seen lately, it looks to be a buyer's market, some very good deals to be had...............Good luck.

Beercules

Established Member
-New gears and a clutch!
-Tune, dd149 and whipple elliptical tb, ati 10% lower pulley (for the better balancer).
-Keep it under 800whp and don't max out rpm (unless you NEED to) until you change the connecting rods (powdered metal).
- stay away from the 2-steps until you upgrade the valve train (powdered metal parts in there).
-Van at revan racing will steer you in the right direction and won't sell you anything you don't need.
-Get your ford parts here (big discount). Genuine Parts for 2014 Ford Mustang|Shelby GT500 5.8L V8 - Gas | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
-Talk to 1320 junkie (facebook) before you start looking at blowers. (His port work stopped my top end drop off).
- if you need suspension advice, talk to Kelly at BMR.

There's also supposedly a new gt500 coming out in the next year or 2, in case some people jump ship.

I understand about the oil industry. Good thing you were able to hang on. Every time prices come down it will get worse though. Frackers just get more efficient. Invest money and/or be ready to change careers on the next drop (just in case), electric cars are becoming more mainstream.

Beercules

Established Member
Nitto 555s don't hydroplane like the MT ET street SS does, MTs stick better though I think.

Welcome, good choice starting with a '13-14 if you can afford it.
Read the stickies and use the search.
No need to mod right away.
My advice is always drive it for a few months and decide what YOU want to improve.
I can tell you 4.10s, Lund tune and Nitto DRs and it's the best start by far.
Like anything, it's easy to get carried away, my car now makes 965rwhp on the way to 1100 soon :)
Good luck.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Correct on Nittos. Far superior STREET tire.
Kyle: do you plan on driving on street with drag radials? Have you street driven on DRs before?
I highly recommend an aggressive R compound tire for this car for both enjoyment AND safety.
If not wanting DRs, the next best option is Toyo R888 or now R888R.
I personally would never enjoy this car without sticky tires.
Toyo comes in stock 285/35/20 and now both Toyo and Nitto in 305/35/20 which fit great on stock 20x9.5" rears.
Lots of guys here with tons of experience, so if you get one and then determine what you want to improve, we probably have a proven solution.
-J

raustin0017

Established Member
Welcome back OP. Bone stock is amazing. Too many ways to mod to discuss. It is all about the amount of $$$$ you want to spend? Find your baby and enjoy it.

blk96SVT

Established Member
Toyo comes in stock 285/35/20 and now both Toyo and Nitto in 305/35/20 which fit great on stock 20x9.5" rears.

-J

I have the 285's on the stock 9.5'' wheels. So the Toyo R888R 305's will fit on 9.5"? I really want some wider tires out back without going the more expensive route of wider wheels.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I should clarify I've never seen the Toyo 305 only the Nitto 305 that fits perfect on stock 9.5s.
Anyone try the new 305 Toyo R888R?
-J

MastaAce03

Established Member
I have the R888R in a 285 and they just work. They run wide, I wouldn’t attempt a Toyo 305 on a stock width rim. They are a loud ass tire but I don’t care. I know what I’m getting with that tire every time and it’s quality traction in a straight line than can also handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blk96SVT

Established Member
I have the R888R in a 285 and they just work. They run wide, I wouldn’t attempt a Toyo 305 on a stock width rim. They are a loud ass tire but I don’t care. I know what I’m getting with that tire every time and it’s quality traction in a straight line than can also handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. They are a bit loud, but they hook pretty decently. From a dig, not so much, but from a 30 roll in 2nd with 3.73s they hook up nicely. Just wish I could get a 305 on the stock wheel.

Kshelby

-New gears and a clutch!
-Tune, dd149 and whipple elliptical tb, ati 10% lower pulley (for the better balancer).
-Keep it under 800whp and don't max out rpm (unless you NEED to) until you change the connecting rods (powdered metal).
- stay away from the 2-steps until you upgrade the valve train (powdered metal parts in there).
-Van at revan racing will steer you in the right direction and won't sell you anything you don't need.
-Get your ford parts here (big discount). Genuine Parts for 2014 Ford Mustang|Shelby GT500 5.8L V8 - Gas | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
-Talk to 1320 junkie (facebook) before you start looking at blowers. (His port work stopped my top end drop off).
- if you need suspension advice, talk to Kelly at BMR.

There's also supposedly a new gt500 coming out in the next year or 2, in case some people jump ship.

I understand about the oil industry. Good thing you were able to hang on. Every time prices come down it will get worse though. Frackers just get more efficient. Invest money and/or be ready to change careers on the next drop (just in case), electric cars are becoming more mainstream.

Wow I really appreciate the go-to's here that's very useful information! What I am planning on doing is hopefully finding a stock(ish) low miled gt500 iv been stalking kijiji like a hawk waiting for that opportunity. Wanna find something unmolested for sure. I'm a power engineer so it does open doors for switching industries if it came down to it rather than career, but for experience wise im 100% oilfield.

Correct on Nittos. Far superior STREET tire.
Kyle: do you plan on driving on street with drag radials? Have you street driven on DRs before?
I highly recommend an aggressive R compound tire for this car for both enjoyment AND safety.
If not wanting DRs, the next best option is Toyo R888 or now R888R.
I personally would never enjoy this car without sticky tires.
Lots of guys here with tons of experience, so if you get one and then determine what you want to improve, we probably have a proven solution.
-J

I had a full set of toyo888s on the terminator when I had it. 315's on the rear I absolutely loved the look of them. Traction wise I was pretty impressed for the most part at 600whp. she was a complete right off in 1st gear so I never really did the dig, that and I was afraid of blowing axles apart dumping her off the line. so she was more of a roller and the toyos kicked out, but they grabbed soon after... Never been on a DR before... tell me how fun it is lol

Clemson

Established Member
Would be nice to have some DRs in our size, but, alas....Ford figured these skinny little turds were plenty :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread