(new guy looking for exhaust advise)

2003Terminator

Established Member
Hey ya'll, I just recently registered here on SVTperformance. I bought a Zinc 03 Cobra in December of last year. It is pretty much stock other then a pro comp boost gauge and a steeda Tri-ax shifter that came with the car when I bought it. My first project is to change the mid-pipe and cat-back. I'm looking for an exhaust that would have a real deep and throatly sound. This is also my daily driver. I am thinging about getting the Mac Prochamber and Mac cat. Does anybody have any suggestions?

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
"I am thinging about getting the Mac Prochamber and Mac cat"
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

69Mach1351w

Established Member
i was going to go mac, but then i found a great deal on ebay for a brand new bassani catback.

Stock headers + Off Road X + bassani catback is my current setup

throaty down low, with very little drone, but due to the O/R x and the nature of the bassani muffler some slight rasp up high. But i love the new exhaust and its mild enough at idle and light throttle, but then it sounds mean in the higher rpms.

For throaty deff. the prochamber, or another brand H-pipe ( i think thats the most important piece to achieve a throaty tone)

mac will sound good, magnaflow will be kind of mild with very little/if any rasp. Flowmasters are just garbage, that was my old setup.

Just my .02

p.s. welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

2003Terminator

Established Member
I love the prochamber and Mac 3' catback. Do ya'll think that the 2 1/2 catback would sound much different? I've heard that if the diameter of the exhaust is too big that is could rob you of horsepower and that is back fires bad. Thanks for the info ya'll.

2003Terminator

Established Member
I love the prochamber and Mac 3' catback. Do ya'll think that the 2 1/2 catback would sound much different? I've heard that if the diameter of the exhaust is too big that is could rob you of horsepower and that is back fires bad. Thanks for the info ya'll.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
i heard both of 2.5 and 3 mac and i can't really tell the diffrence.....but maybe it's just me. you're going to loose a little bit of power with 3" because of less pressure. i have a bassani o/r x with magnaflows. some people dont like the "exotic car" tone but i love it. and YES flowmasters are garbage...too much drone

Last edited:

Charles236

Established Member
I would start with the mid-pipe first if I couldn't afford to swap mid-pipe and cat-back both. I currently have a MRT catted H-pipe with an FR500 cat-back and love the sound, deep and it roars when the revs are high. Sound quality is a matter of personal preferrence, though, so listen to other cars and see what sounds good to you. I doubt if there is more than a 2 or 3 horsepower difference between aftermarket 2 1/2" mid-pipes of different brands, same with cat-backs.

striker_29

One Man Gang
Established Member
So the power loss of the 3" compared to the 2.5" should be negligible? And they sound basically the same? I'm was thinking about going with the 2.5 setup, now I am thinking maybe the 3".

Yellow2003

Genetically lazy
Established Member
striker_29 said:
So the power loss of the 3" compared to the 2.5" should be negligible? And they sound basically the same? I'm was thinking about going with the 2.5 setup, now I am thinking maybe the 3".

I don't think there is any power loss with the 3" MAC. Early on I made 431rwhp with a MAC 3" and a K&N FIPK II with a Ford 'performance' tune.

The 3" is a little deeper sounding than the 2.5"

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
If you still have a 2.25" or 2.5" mid pipe, I seriously doubt a 3" catback will hurt you. It's all about the sound, and it sounds GOOD : )

Users who are viewing this thread