New guy just found this specific forum

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Quick question guys. Money is pretty tight right now, I still want to get rid of the 4x4 look of my Cobra, but I didn't know it was going to be so expensive. I wanted to do springs, dampers, caster camber plates, and full length subframe connectors, but it seems all I can afford at the moment are the springs and subframe connectors. Can I run H&R Super Race Springs without caster camber plates? If so, can I do it with stock shocks and struts or is this all just a bad idea? I want the car to be lower, but I don't want it to handle worse.

dragon40k

Established Member
Quick question guys. Money is pretty tight right now, I still want to get rid of the 4x4 look of my Cobra, but I didn't know it was going to be so expensive. I wanted to do springs, dampers, caster camber plates, and full length subframe connectors, but it seems all I can afford at the moment are the springs and subframe connectors. Can I run H&R Super Race Springs without caster camber plates? If so, can I do it with stock shocks and struts or is this all just a bad idea? I want the car to be lower, but I don't want it to handle worse.

I don't think you can run the HR super Race without new struts/shocks. If you only do one do the subframes. You'll have to live with the 4X4 look or find some used ford motorsport C springs (650lb) for cheap off a forum. They don't lower the car a huge amount but should help both handling and looks.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Stock dampers will not handle the Super Race springs. Better off saving up and waiting until you can get some good used stuff.

I do have a set of Koni DA struts and SA shocks, that I have been considering selling. They are in good shape too. The shocks are for an IRS car.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Ok guys here's the deal. Looks like I should wait until I can do springs, dampers, SFC's, and caster camber plates all at once. So I called Maximum Motorsports this evening to see what I could figure out. I get to speak with a tech and I tell him my thoughts and plans and that I was on a tight budget. He said that if I was on a budget and wanted to do my build in stages that he would recommend doing the mods in this order:
1. SFC's
2. Rear Lower Control Arms(I hadn't even considered these)
3. Bilstein HD series damper package for solid-axle Mustang(Non Adjustable)
4. Caster Camber Plates and Springs together.
Ok, so the only things that kind of through me for a loop was the Rear Lower Control Arms and his recommendation on springs. Everybody seems to recommend H&R Super Race Springs but the Tech said those would be TOO harsh for the street. He said the H&R Race Springs were almost as good on the track, but way better on the street. It seems the more I talk and research the more confused I get. What do yall think about his recommendations especially on the control arms and springs?

darreng505

Established Member
I have a set of M-18000-C tokico D's, springs and MM camber plates for sale cheap. Real cheap. Not sure if you have s197 tho. I also have H&R race springs that will work with the adjustable dampers.

Last edited:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I've been happy with running the Race springs. They are pretty stiff but won't rattle your teeth out on the street. I think they are a good compromise between performance and street drivability. I thought about getting the Super Race when I was deciding if I was going to do time trials but for an DE/street car, I'd think the Race springs would be fine.

Sirl, I saw you recommended the Supers, but isn't your car a stripped out "street legal" track car? Meaning you expect a loud, harsh ride. I get the impression pinetopbilld's car isn't quite to that point yet.

WPBcobra

Established Member
in my 97 cobra i had H&R super race with Tokico D-spec, MM camber plates and no subframes. I had no prob with this set up car ran thu the turns pretty good. The ride was not as rough as you would think so either

wheelhopper

Established Member
H&R Race are not bad but they are not as good as the Super Race. I have run both and friends who have done the same. I have not run Super Race on the street but if it is for a weekend driver I am sure it would be fine. Not sure if the HD dampers will be enough for them though. Also, no need to specify the Bilsteins as non adj. That is the only way they come, and I like it that way.

I would agree with MM that if you are going to piece meal it that SFC are first. Rear lower control arms are a necessity. The stockers are junk. Leave the uppers alone unless you simply replace the bushings. Like on the Steeda HD uppers.

You know if you check the classifieds you should have no problem finding a good deal for all the items you need. Maybe at a price where you can get your parts sooner than you think.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
And don't forget that a lot of N/V/H can come from swapping out bushings and the like.
While my urethane bushings made for a more jarring ride, the worst was when I thought something had gone bad in the motor when after I had a motor mount break, I replaced them with solid ones.
There's a lot of engineering put in by Ford to keep us isolated from the harsh road out there, and only some of that is from softer springs.

Kartracer

Established Member
I haven't read this whole post but I have a 95 GT and wasted a ton of money making my car turn because I was not sure what I wanted to do with the car so you need to determine if this is a street car that you will take to the track or a track car that you will drive on the street. I did H/R Race with Tokico's then Bilstein HD's with Super Race and still drove it on the street, it was a little harsh but not horrible. If it is more important to be a good track car go with Super Race, you can run H/R Race or Super Race with Bilstein HD's but this combo is a minimum, don't bother with the Tokico's. You can find some springs in the classifieds if you want to try H/R Race but just save up for good dampers. I would go SFC then springs/dampers and camber plates then the rear control arms, your car only has 23k on it they should be okay for now.
If I was to do it over I would have done SFC, saved for coil overs with MM2 or 3 dampers and cc plates, then control arms etc..
Short story long, don't go cheap thinking it will be enough because it won't, save and get what you want the 1st time, you will save in the end.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Thanks for the advice once again guys. You have made me realize that this is a street car that I am going to take to the track a few times a year. So I am going to do the basics: SFC's, CC PLates, H&R Race, and HD Bilsteins. With only 23,000 miles I am going to let some of my OEM stuff wear out a little more, that should buy me some more time to save up some money.

I have been checking the classifieds and so far I have scored some good deals on MM CC Plates and some MM Full Length SFC.

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Ok, just when I thought I had it all figured out something else happens. This may, however, be a good thing. Koni is having a sale. I can get Koni Yellows for $60 bucks less than the Bilstein HD's. This is for all four corners. What do yall think?

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Ok guys, after tons more research I discovered a gentleman by the name of Sam Strano. I am sure that most of yall have heard of him. So I gave him a call and give him the lowdown on my car and what I plan to do with it. Which is to have a nice street car that I track a few times a year. His suggestions were CC plates and SFC's (which I already have), Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, and a bigger front sway bar. When I do drive the car on weekends it is for extended periods of time and I have my wife and kids with me. That was his reasoning for the Steeda Sport Springs, he said they would perform almost as well as the H&R Race on the track, but ride much better on the street. I am definitely doing the Koni's, but still looking for input on the springs and the bigger sway bar. Sorry to bother you guys, just trying to be sure I get what I want. This is a good chunk of change for me.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I would still recommend the H&R race over the Steeda Sports. Regardless of which way you go, hold off on the sway bar until you have the rest of the components installed. How your car performs with the new springs and dampers will make a determination on which sway bar you should use.

Kartracer

Established Member
Hold off on the sway bar, this car is going to push, or under steer once you get comfortable enough and you will want a smaller sway bar or to disconnect it like I have mine to add front grip.

WPBcobra

Established Member
Like wheelhopper said Go with the H&R over the steeda. Wait to do the sway bar also because you wont know how the car will be after the springs you might need a smaller sway bar instead of the larger

pinetopbilld

Established Member
Ok guys, here is an update with a question attached. I ended up with H&R Race Springs, Koni Yellows, MM Caster Camber Plates, MM Aluminum Steering Rack Bushings, and MM XL Full Length Subframe Connectors. The SFC's are the only items that I have installed so far. I would have never guessed that two metal tubes could make such a difference. They made the car feel about half it's original size.

So here is the question, while I have the car apart doing the springs and dampers, are there any other little things I should go ahead and do while I am in there? Spring isolators, specific bushings, or anything else that I am not aware of? Refresher: car is a 97 Cobra Coupe 23,000 miles, garaged entire life.

Users who are viewing this thread