New guy here, 98 cobra problems, HELP!!!

stevo350

Procharged 98 Cobra
Established Member
So I recently bought a 98 cobra with 27k miles and has a procharger on it. I think my ecm is giving me trouble. I bought the car from a friend and it has been sitting for some time now and we put a new battery in it, turned the key on and the cooling fan came on before we even cranked the engine. We cranked it several times and got no fire. We then turned off the key and started checking wires and everything looked pretty good so we tried it again. When we turned on the key we heard an abnormal clicking sound coming from the ecm. So we took off the kick panel started wiggling wires and tapped on the ecm, turned the key back on and it fired right up! It ran smooth but was idling a little high. I figured it would come back down on its own but it never did. We proceeded to drive it around the block a few times thinking maybe the computer needed some time to readjust since it hadn't ran in a while and has had a dead battery. The idle finally started to come back down and started acting somewhat normal after a day or two, but sometimes when I went to start it the ecm would click a few times and wouldn't fire yet again...until I tapped on the ecm then it would fire right up. Well I haven't driven it much, but I took it for a short drive day before yesterday, and it was running really rich (I could smell it) and it started backfiring and died. I gave it a couple minutes, had to tap on the ecm to start it again and got it home. Well later that night I came home driving my other vehicle and pull up to the house to see my right front blinker blinking rapidly. Key wasn't in the car, hadn't been drivin for 8 hours or more, and when I opened the door I could hear the same clicking coming from the ecm everytime it blinked...couldn't get it to stop, so I disconnected the battery and I'm still scratching my head trying to figure it all out. Any help or imput you guys may have would be greatly appreciated! :beer:

stevo350

Procharged 98 Cobra
Established Member
Haven't figured it out yet. I know the wiring harness has been spliced into in a couple different places so I'm thinking about replacing the entire wiring harness just to eliminate that possiblilty and so I know everything is right with the wiring again. I hope the ecm isn't bad...I wouldn't know what to do if it was.

crazycarlo

Established Member
make sure and look at all the wiring if the car was sititng outside a rodent may have gotten in there and chewed up some wires. Its happend now on both my cars that sat outside for a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread