New Gun Law....Well, Almost!

Leedog

Clan SVT
Established Member
Ted Nugent for Pres!

Bill allows Texans to keep guns in cars at work.....

By JAY ROOTAssociated Press Writer
March 26, 2009 - 5:01 a.m.
Texans who love guns and pickup trucks with equal fervor could soon have the right to keep them together all the way into the company parking garage.

The Texas Senate gave unanimous approval to legislation Wednesday that would allow people to carry firearms to work and then store them in their parked vehicles outside. Businesses could still keep guns out of their offices and company-owned vehicles.

But the bill, a top priority of the National Rifle Association, would no longer let employers ban guns in company parking facilities - as long as they remain locked up inside an employee's vehicle.

"Here in Texas, people like their firearms," said Republican Sen. Glenn Hegar, author of the legislation. State law already allows Texans to carry concealed handguns in their vehicles, with some restrictions.

The bill drew criticism from business leaders, who called it an affront to property rights. Bill Hammond, president of the Texas Association of Business, warned that it could also spark more workplace gun crimes - particularly at a time when more and more people are losing their jobs.

"People could go out to their car, get their weapon and go after their supervisors or co-workers who hadn't been laid off," Hammond said.

Senators engaged in a sometimes lively debate, but - in a state where guns are generally pried away from cold dead fingers - not a single "no" vote was cast. Business groups are hoping to derail the legislation behind the scenes, but if it makes it to the House floor, passage is considered likely there, too.

The bill states that Texans carrying legal firearms, including concealed handguns, could store them in locked vehicles in company-owned parking lots.

Employers could still ban firearms from secure, fenced parking lots and garages, but they would have to provide an alternative parking area.

The bill would not apply to school parking lots or federal property where firearms are already banned.

Even in Texas, as Hegar noted, "we can't trump federal law."

Last month, a Denver-based federal appeals court ruled that Oklahoma's law protecting employees' rights to have a guns in their locked vehicles at work is constitutional.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Awesome, but why would you want to store you gun in a parked, unattended vehicle? That sounds like an awesome idea.... until someone steals it.

And I am not ANTI GUN but this doesn't sound like anything great.

Pewter99TransAm

Awesome, but why would you want to store you gun in a parked, unattended vehicle? That sounds like an awesome idea.... until someone steals it.

I agree...how is storing a unattended gun a good idea? So if someone breaks into your workplace your going to have the time to go outside unlock you gun then come back inside and do work? Doubt it. And like said above....your car gets stole then someone could end up using your gun to kill somebody.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
In Louisiana your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. I can park anywhere except a courthouse, government building, etc. with my gun in my truck. That being said, I will never do that because I'm afraid of my truck getting broken into.

txyaloo

Established Member
This bill is pretty worthless. It doesn't offer the employee any protection. If this becomes a law, your employer might not be able to fire you for having a handgun in your car, but Texas is a right to work state, and if your employer doesn't like the idea of employees carrying a gun in their car, they can fire you without providing any reason at all.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
The way I see this is it allows you to legally have your gun stored in your car after your commute to work. There might be a lot of people who would carry one on their drive, but don't because they can't keep it in their vehicle once parked.

I bet this won't change the fact I can't have one on state/capitol grounds at work :(

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member

Because then you would have it on hand when you drive to and leave work :shrug: I work in an area of Houston called Greenspoint, affectionately known by residents as Gunspoint. I've been harassed by a bum in the Burger King drive through, he very well could have been a thief trying to carjack me. Luckily all he wanted was to sell me his mix tape...but it coulda been worse. Texas FTW.

Leedog

Clan SVT
Established Member
Because then you would have it on hand when you drive to and leave work :shrug: I work in an area of Houston called Greenspoint, affectionately known by residents as Gunspoint. I've been harassed by a bum in the Burger King drive through, he very well could have been a thief trying to carjack me. Luckily all he wanted was to sell me his mix tape...but it coulda been worse. Texas FTW.

Exactly. Now you can carry a gun with you on commutes to and from work. Where as before, one might not have done so due to company policy. Not that it ever stopped me, and probably not most others, but now it is law. Sure you can get fired here in Texas for any reason, but if they fire you for no reason, you can almost rest assured it wasn't for carrying a firearm on company grounds. They probably wanted to get rid of you anyway. Just like Hybred stated. If you detour before or after work, you always have it with you. Now, there is nothing stopping you, aside from personal preference and federal catch laws, from carrying a firearm with you at all times. :thumbsup:

txyaloo

Established Member
Exactly. Now you can carry a gun with you on commutes to and from work. Where as before, one might not have done so due to company policy. Not that it ever stopped me, and probably not most others, but now it is law. Sure you can get fired here in Texas for any reason, but if they fire you for no reason, you can almost rest assured it wasn't for carrying a firearm on company grounds. They probably wanted to get rid of you anyway. Just like Hybred stated. If you detour before or after work, you always have it with you. Now, there is nothing stopping you, aside from personal preference and federal catch laws, from carrying a firearm with you at all times. :thumbsup:

Uhh, no, it's not law yet. The senate passed the bill. It still has to go through the house and get signed by the governor before it becomes a law.

SNCBOOM

Established Member

That sorta sounds like Texas FTL :shrug:

txyaloo

Established Member
It will, you know Perry is gonna sign off on this one.

Who knows if the house will push it through though. Dumber things have happened.

I still say it won't make any difference. If your employer doesn't like you having a firearm on their property, they will find a way to get rid of you. If you plan on doing this, best practice is to not let anyone know you carry. That's a good idea anyway if you're leaving a gun unattended in a car.

Users who are viewing this thread