New GTO

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
I think the CTS is a bit awkward.And Super-roo,I'm pretty sure most here knew of the GTO's situation and understand what you're saying..But I really doubt it will be around as originally designed(rear wheel motivation and v8)for too long...Just look at what happened to the F-bodies and Impalla SS...This car will never be as popular as the F Body was and as soon as ppl realize that it's not going to be a suitable replacement,sales will surely plummet(sp.).....Like I said at first,I like the idea,but GM is all about sales and compromise when it comes to their performance cars...The Vette has survived because of it's enthusiasts and sales.The F-body had it's followers as well,but also had the Mustang as competition.And we all know the results of that.....Not trying to dog the car for what it is...But only time will tell of how long it will be what it is under GM sales and engineering.....

4camV8

Established Member
Originally posted by super-roo
you guys should be worried , real worried !!! about this car...

worried? why? because GM is bringing in a pretty sweet, albeit blandly styled, RWD V8? Whether or not we appreciate the styling, I think the consensus here is that it's a nice car overall.

just wait and see when the general U.S. public get a look and feel for it.

biased ford remarks about its looks hold no sway in general society. (epecially when your despratly clutch at straws "it looks like a cav, no its a GP, no its a.. a.. a.. " here let me help its Friggen HOLDEN, and thats what it looks like.

Clutching at straws? If you don't think that car looks like GP you are blind. Granted, the cavalier comments, including my own, are more subject to interpretation, but that thing reeks of Grand Prix. That being said, I think the Grand Prix is a finely styled car, but why introduce the GTO with such a similar look?

this car will dominate sales, too bad they can't bring in any more.

Like the F-bodies did? I don't think Ford is hiding in the corner sucking their thumbs just yet. Besides, the only people who care about that are Ford Execs. With the exception of the few people in here who get their paychecks from Ford, we gauge success on other things. Was it any consolation to 90's stang drivers, after being waxed by an LT1/LS1 f-body that our slower cars outsold theirs? No.

the Humbler is here, this is the way its going to be baby !!! [/B]

Okay... i guess:rollseyes

super-roo

Established Member
Originally posted by 4camV8
Clutching at straws? If you don't think that car looks like GP you are blind. Granted, the cavalier comments, including my own, are more subject to interpretation, but that thing reeks of Grand Prix. That being said, I think the Grand Prix is a finely styled car, but why introduce the GTO with such a similar look?

how can you even sit there and give that answer :dw: you don't know that the grandprix and GTO look similar ??? even back in the 60's they shared the same look.

Like the F-bodies did? I don't think Ford is hiding in the corner sucking their thumbs just yet. Besides, the only people who care about that are Ford Execs. With the exception of the few people in here who get their paychecks from Ford, we gauge success on other things. Was it any consolation to 90's stang drivers, after being waxed by an LT1/LS1 f-body that our slower cars outsold theirs? No.

again , maybe the mustang was easier to live with , driving position, maybe slightly better build qualty, more v6's sold, the Mustang outsold the F-body whilst being a slower car (true) , but the same thing could happen with the GTO vs the Cobra ... ;-) , the GTO aint no creaking, window motor blowing, warped rotor, weak rearend special like the f-body was...

in reviews here the GTO comprehensively beats the stang in all aspects , except the 1/4 mile of the '03 snake, don't expect the GTO to be a pushover though , it will be somewhere between the '03 and mach in terms of acceleration.

Last edited:

SSlayer96

Wheeeeeee!!
Established Member
OKKK looking car, nice HP numbers from the factory. I wonder how well it will do with aftermarket parts

4camV8

Established Member
how can you even sit there and give that answer :dw: you don't know that the grandprix and GTO look similar ??? even back in the 60's they shared the same look.

Well it's not the 60's anymore, but let's not even get into that. You said that saying it looked like a GP was "clutching at straws". Now you say they've looked alike since the 60's (true). So is it wrong to say they look alike or not? Make up your mind.

again , maybe the mustang was easier to live with , driving position, maybe slightly better build qualty, more v6's sold, the Mustang outsold the F-body whilst being a slower car (true) , but the same thing could happen with the GTO vs the Cobra ... ;-) , the GTO aint no creaking, window motor blowing, warped rotor, weak rearend special like the f-body was...

True, it's a nice car. And ANYTHING can happen. Does that mean "the Humbler is here?" I don't know... YOU certainly seem confident, but i'll need to wait and see in order to pass judgement.

in reviews here the GTO comprehensively beats the stang in all aspects , except the 1/4 mile of the '03 snake, don't expect the GTO to be a pushover though , it will be somewhere between the '03 and mach in terms of acceleration.

Ok... i said i don't like the way it looks.:shrug: but thanks for your opinions on where the GTO will fall in the performance hierarchy.

MackCaddy

Established Member
The new Caddy CTS-V was at the show too, along with the new XLR. I have pics of both, if anyone is interested in seeing more of the the XLR let me know. :beer:

CTS-V

03CobraBro

Established Member

So its going to run high 12's? (A snowballs chance in hell) Cause the Mach's are pulling mid to low 13's as we speak.

We've also forgotten about the Corvette factor... It wont be allowed to run any quicker than the LS1 C5 (low 13's).

All in all, iv seen the car compared along side the 99/01 Cobra, and that seemed like a pretty good match up. So I highly doubt there's any reason for an 03 owner to break a sweat. A 60lbs weight difference is barely anything when it comes to the straight line, so the GTO's going to need alot more than 350hp @ the crank to hold a candle to the 03 Cobra.

I cant speak on behalf of handleing though, we'll just have to wait and see there. With the 03 Cobra being compatition with the LS1 C5 on the road course, I'd be very surprised if the GTO could out do a Terminator in that area. But hey, maybe it'll surprise us... We just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Originally posted by SensesFail
hey, you guys already may know this, but I thought I might as well put it out there anyways...

The new GTO is just a rebadged Australian Monaro...In reality the car is about 5% American and 95% Australian...It is contructed at the Holden Plant in Sydney Australia.

Heh, so it isn't really a true American Muscle car to say the least...but it is licensed under a US company...

here's a link if you guys want to see for yourself: http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/9_06_hol.htm

Hopefully Ford never takes the easy way out by borrowing other nation's car designs...

Um, Holden is a division of GM. They use GM powertrains in Holden vehicles. Nearly all the Holdens have LS1's in them. GM didn't "steal" anything.

GM fans have been asking for Holden-based cars to be brought to the US for awhile now. I'm glad they're finally listening to the consumer.

BTW, I see a lot of comparisons with up-and-coming cars to the M5. Holden already has something for the M5: HSV GTS.

Users who are viewing this thread