New GT500 Owner in SF

speerjam2000

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I just got a 2012 GT500. Took it to AED got a tune, Shaun told me that one of the catalytic converters is going bad(due to previous owner having incorrectly gapped plugs). Wondering if any of you can point me in the direction that can either gut my cats or, if really necessary I'll replace the midpipe/cats stock and just need a shop that can do that.

Any input is appreciated.

Papaw

Established Member
Couldn't AED take care of this for you or is AED a "tune only" kind of place? I thought they did repairs and upgrades there too.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
OP= Original Poster
I can speak on behalf of being in California, lived there for 3 years and dodged their strict emissions crap. Saved only by an Active Duty Military ID Card and out of state registration.

I run a Lethal O/R H pipe, which is stamped with Kooks. Think that's who makes their stuff

speerjam2000

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification guys! I was looking at the Kooks H pipe as well. I think I am going to try having the cats gutted first as it is the cheapest solution; if it is too loud then I'll go with the Kooks catted H pipe or I "may" just give in and get the stock pipe with cats; which is $1200, while the Kooks pipe is $650. I'll probably have to go back to AED as I'm just not seeing or hearing of ANY good shops other than AED. I'm assuming I'll be able to tell when the cats are really starting to go; right now it's running perfect and there is no rotten egg smell . Again thanks for all the support for this new, anxious owner!

Harry08

Established Member
Try searching the classified section and put a looking to buy post up for stock midpipes. There are sets out there . You should be able to find a set. I don't know if I would gut the cats with the California smog troopers running around.

speerjam2000

Established Member
Apologies for my ignorance, but is there a classified section on these forums or are you referring to other classified such as craigslist?

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I paid $850 to have AMR replace their Hi-Flo Cats . I had their headers already. During my 2-3 years of indecision I had the car pull many times on the dyno which they say can burn Cats.
My buddy had same issue with his '08 with AMR headers....he looked at the price tags and simply gutted the Cats. They did this on a bench and it cost WAY less than new Cats.

sleek98

Established Member
That's for a 2010 GT500; not sure would that fit on a 2012 model? I'm a newbie so that's why I'm asking

2010 is 2.5" piping. The 2011+ is 2.75" piping.

I have one off my 2012 with 8-9k miles on it but I am in Missouri so not sure what shipping would cost. I might be able to freight it out there, or via greyhound bus.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Thanks for the clarification guys! I was looking at the Kooks H pipe as well. I think I am going to try having the cats gutted first as it is the cheapest solution; if it is too loud then I'll go with the Kooks catted H pipe or I "may" just give in and get the stock pipe with cats; which is $1200, while the Kooks pipe is $650....

Here is a member from south Cali selling his 2012 & states he’s running aftermarket mid pipe but has all his stock parts. Maybe he would be willing to sell you his stock pipe with cats if you decide to go that route.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/fs-2012-gt500-svtpp.1160765/

speerjam2000

Established Member
2010 is 2.5" piping. The 2011+ is 2.75" piping.

I have one off my 2012 with 8-9k miles on it but I am in Missouri so not sure what shipping would cost. I might be able to freight it out there, or via greyhound bus.
Thanks for the clarification. I am VERY interested and would be happy to pay for the shipping. I would PM you but have no idea how to do that yet on these forums!! Is there a way I can contact you so that we can discuss this?

Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread