New GT500 has 772hp

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Fair enough.... I just don't really see the "Skill" in shifting gears. I get the whole being in the right gear at the right time thing but with todays computers and the fact that they have (10) speeds to chose from the auto will chose the right gear as soon as u depress the pedal or slow down.

there is no 10 speed gear box for a stick shift. Todays technology just trumps having a stick shift these days.

I get why people like them cause u feel like ur actually driving the car vs. computer making decisions for u but if it isn't making u go faster then its not that desirable for most in a competitive field.

Think about tho if a competitive racer could clearly go faster with a stick shift over an auto don't u think they would all be driving a stick shift?

GNBRETT what you fail to realize is that your rationale proves my whole argument.

Yes, auto wins most races/sports events. Auto is an advantage over manual. Less possible errors / loss of performance over the manual, hence why race teams go with the autos. They want to win races, not show which driver had more skill.

Races are won on a multitude of factors, not solely on driver’s skill.

Go drive a new z06 on a drag strip in both forms (auto and manual), I bet your auto run is faster than your manual. Same story if you take both to the road course, your auto lap will likely be faster.

Only people with EXTREME skill like Randy P. can get the manual z06 to go fastet than the auto. Not because “its easier to drive” but because he is just that proficient at operating it.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
So, in your world, the only "professional" racers are drag racers, Formula 1 drivers, and scripted "reality" Street Outlaws? I gave you just a tiny list of PROFESSIONAL racing series where PROFESSIONAL drivers still use manual transmissions (and there are TONS more), and you're still saying "no professionals use manuals."
The boys seen in Street Outlaws are still using a bump shifter. Yes, they have an automatic. However, they have to choose which converter to run based on track / street conditions. They do not have a clutch, but they are still manually shifting up.

In a true daily driver street race, an auto should win every time. Full throttle and trans efficiency should make perfect and precise shifts.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blk02edge

Established Member
no clutch is used to shift gears. its all automatic. call it what u want but their is no "Banging of gears" taking place.
Theres nothing really automatic about whats going on there lol go drive a sequential race car, ill bet you miss a couple gears. Regardless, even the modern F1 car is a hell of a lot easier than what they used to use with the 4 speed H patterns.

There isnt even an argument that a true auto is easier to drive.

Sequential gives full control while being faster due to not using the clutch in motion (which is still there btw, manually used to get moving)

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
For the street which is 99% of the drivers here the new 10 speed trannies are the shit and will out run any stick shift anytime on either a road course or the drag strip compared to a stick and thats all that really matters cause less then 1% of the forum members here have a dedicated competitive race car so who really gives a shit!

Theres nothing really automatic about whats going on there lol go drive a sequential race car, ill bet you miss a couple gears. Regardless, even the modern F1 car is a hell of a lot easier than what they used to use with the 4 speed H patterns.

There isnt even an argument that a true auto is easier to drive.

Sequential gives full control while being faster due to not using the clutch in motion (which is still there btw, manually used to get moving)

blk02edge

Established Member
For the street which is 99% of the drivers here the new 10 speed trannies are the shit and will out run any stick shift anytime on either a road course or the drag strip compared to a stick and thats all that really matters cause less then 1% of the forum members here have a dedicated competitive race car so who really gives a shit!
And why is the 10sp going to be faster around the track with 99% of people who drive them?
Drag strip is an obvious answer but when talking road course... The 10sp is faster becaaaaaause...?

RRMBrembo

Established Member
If you use the Z06 as an example that's been stated a few times as an example for logic purposes. For this test there are two Z06's. One manual one automatic. There are two drivers. One is Randy Probst and the other is some average Joe. Both do 10 laps each. 5 in the automatic and 5 in the manual. In the experiment Randy Probst posts better times with the manual whereas the average Joe has better times in the Automatic. Does this clarify why a manual requires more skill? I don't get why this isn't blatantly obvious?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
The boys seen in Street Outlaws are still using a bump shifter. Yes, they have an automatic. However, they have to choose which converter to run based on track / street conditions. They do not have a clutch, but they are still manually shifting up.

In a true daily driver street race, an auto should win every time. Full throttle and trans efficiency should make perfect and precise shifts.

CO2 air shifter, they aren't manually shifting.
Consistency wins.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I think 700 is the new 500, which was the new 300 and on and on. Pretty soon, momma's mini vans will start at 500hp.

Indeed. The new cars with all the new safety standards have really made them quite heavy so it's great the HP can be bumped up so far.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok. So you understand that driving a manual takes more skill than driving an auto. Now let us move on to the next point...

My previous statement of “Manual car / driver will always comand much more respect that their auto counterpart”, DOES NOT PERTAIN to 17 yo teen girls. Its a statement that blankets car guys / gear heads.

Skill and respect go hand and hand.

Its the same thing as going out in the wildernesses and hunting a boar manually with only a knife or going out and hunting it with a rifle. They both require a certain level of skill but the guy that does it with his hands/knife gets a lot more respect from people within the community (which is not 17 yo girls or Jake at State Farm).

Hope you get it now..

Not even going to entertain it.

"Bless your heart!"

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member

Now we are talking. If I could have a bump shifter (no clutch) in my car, that would be the best of both worlds. I'm just not much of a fan of the paddle shifters. Too removed from all the action I suppose. I've driven an automatic Mustang and it was a different experience for me. I just prefer the manual, more fun.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
And why is the 10sp going to be faster around the track with 99% of people who drive them?
Drag strip is an obvious answer but when talking road course... The 10sp is faster becaaaaaause...?

Oh FFS, it allows more flexibility to keep the engine in the power band.

Users who are viewing this thread