New Gears and Driveshaft Installed

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Went with 3.31s instead of the 3.73s..... Car still hits hard, still struggling to hook in 2nd. I'm sure it wont be a problem on a hot day though. 2000 rpms at 80mph is a good thing!

Also had the Dynatech Driveshaft installed. No problems and all seems good there! Going back to the track on Wed to see if these mods effect 1/4 mile times at all.

Bud

Established Member
Very cool! If I can get away early enough Wednesday I'll try to head down to check it

Flaco1

Established Member
Does it feel different going to 3.31 vs 3.73. I got 3.73 on my 2.9 whipple 2011 gt and sometimes wonder if I need to swap gears. The last time I went to the track I was redlining before I was at finish line in 4th gear. Sometimes it feels like I got to shift to quick when I'm out playing on the streets. Thanks

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Does it feel different going to 3.31 vs 3.73. I got 3.73 on my 2.9 whipple 2011 gt and sometimes wonder if I need to swap gears. The last time I went to the track I was redlining before I was at finish line in 4th gear. Sometimes it feels like I got to shift to quick when I'm out playing on the streets. Thanks

I'm bone stock and running about 80whp down from you sea level guys and I think I have to shift to much with my 3:31's. I dont know how you guys can stand 3:73's at sea level with a true 600whp. I would go crazy.

rwboring

Established Member
Went with 3.31s instead of the 3.73s..... Car still hits hard, still struggling to hook in 2nd. I'm sure it wont be a problem on a hot day though. 2000 rpms at 80mph is a good thing!

Also had the Dynatech Driveshaft installed. No problems and all seems good there! Going back to the track on Wed to see if these mods effect 1/4 mile times at all.

preach man... i love the way my 13 gt500 feels... BUT you have to slip the clutch some to get rolling (especially on hills!)

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member

I hated the 3:73s honestly. They'd be fine in a NA situation, but waayyy too much shifting with a blown car. Like you said too, I hate having to bang 5th at the dragstrip. The car still hits really, really hard down low, but that may be the driveshaft helping with that a little too. 3.73 is waayyy too much gear in these cars with a blower with the way the tranny is geared IMHO.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
. 2000 rpms at 80mph is a good thing!

I've got the auto with 3.15 gears and I'm at 2000rpm at 70mph?

6th gear seems to be hugely overdriven. It's about 1000 RPM drop from 5th. Really don't see using 6th now except for 75 mph highways.... Should get some killer fuel economy though!

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I'll be curious to see how the ET works out, my car slowed down a little with the taller gears.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Went 3.73 to 3.55 and slowed down a tenth. It could have been my driving, though, never can launch consistently with all the stock suspension parts.

Did you have a chance to drive after just the gears, then add the driveshaft? Conventional wisdom says the shaft should be worth a tenth or two by itself but it seems most people do it along with another mod at the same time.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Never had a chance to drive it with just gears..... How was your MPH when you switched out gears? Thats a more telling tale.....

Users who are viewing this thread