New Ford Performance Pickup - Hint: Its not a Raptor

N A Rush

Established Member
:pepper: Letting the cat out of the bag here... but its for a project I am planning. :pepper:

I currently own a Ford F150 Lightning :)rockon:) and would like to make a smaller version of the truck and have it appear factory, using the Ford Ranger. My first thought was to use the 03/04 Cobra 4.6L DOHC supercharged engine. However, this engine seems to be a little too tall and therefore a little too wide to accomplished without extensive modifications and highly likely having to remove the HVAC system, which isn't an acceptable solution. :bash:

More searching... for a factory type engine producing approximately 350-400 HP and have smaller overall dimensions that the Ford 4.6L led me to the possibility of the 4.2L used in the Jaguars. I learn theses 4.0L and the 4.2L are suitable replacements for the 3.8L that is used in the Lincoln LS. This leads me to believe that the 4.2L would be a suitable candidate for my intended application. Nonetheless, I wish to obtain more information to confirm my assumptions.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this engine, I am referring to the AJ34S. The AJ34S is a supercharged DOHC V8 installed in the 2004–present Jaguar XJR/Super V8, the 2003–present Jaguar XKR, the 2003–present Jaguar S-Type R, or the 2009–present Jaguar XF producing either :bowdown: 400 or 420 hp and 408 lb·ft torque.

:nono: I could go the easier route and swap in the legacy 5.0L engine from a Mustang or Explorer but its seems everybody is doing this and it doesnt fit my requirement to be supercharged and factory stock appearing. :nono:

Another thought of mine was to use the supercharged 3.8L V6 from the mid to late 90s Thunderbird. The downside to that is the power output is also down, IIRC 215 HP. The upside is there is aftermarket support for the engine and it could be a small stroker with 4.2L parts. Even with the aftermarket and stroker options I could make 350-400 HP and look factory stock, however I believe I would be on the edge of survivability. :kaboom:

Additionally, I wish to show the truck at Ford and Truck events such as Carlisle All Ford Nationals. Since the F150 was already named Lightning I wish to stay with that theme of naming, similar to the Typhoon and Cyclone GM did with their performance trucks a few years back. One problem would be "Thunder", a company has already placed the Lightning 5.4L supercharged engine into Ford Expedition and called it Thunder. Then there is the Thunderbolt option that was available for the Ranger, which precludes me from using anything thunder related. I am thinking of calling this enhanced Ranger "STORM." :??:

Anybody have any additional ideas or possibilities kicking around??? :pop:

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
the terminator motor will fit if youre willing to work with it a bit

Check out the new episodes of TRUCKS! on powerblock, theyre putting in a marauder DOHC 4.6 into a Mazda B600 (a ranger with a mazda badge, same exact truck)

N A Rush

Established Member

Check out the new episodes of TRUCKS! on powerblock, theyre putting in a marauder DOHC 4.6 into a Mazda B600 (a ranger with a mazda badge, same exact truck)

A buddy placed a '99 Cobra engine in his '99 Ranger, basically the same engine. He said he lost power brakes until he went with a hydra-boost setup. He also mentioned there was NO way of saving the AC system. With him living in New England the lack of no AC isn't as a big of a deal as it would be down here in the South. He also said the use of a two valve motor may have help keep the AC though. Is PowerBlock keeping the AC???

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
I currently own a Ford F150 Lightning :)rockon:) and would like to make a smaller version of the truck and have it appear factory, using the Ford Ranger. My first thought was to use the 03/04 Cobra 4.6L DOHC supercharged engine. However, this engine seems to be a little too tall and therefore a little too wide to accomplished without extensive modifications and highly likely having to remove the HVAC system, which isn't an acceptable solution. :bash:

Another thought of mine was to use the supercharged 3.8L V6 from the mid to late 90s Thunderbird. The downside to that is the power output is also down, IIRC 215 HP. The upside is there is aftermarket support for the engine and it could be a small stroker with 4.2L parts. Even with the aftermarket and stroker options I could make 350-400 HP and look factory stock, however I believe I would be on the edge of survivability. :kaboom:

Local guy has an 03-04 cobra driveline in his ranger, but he had to remove the inner fenders- Im sure you could reshape them, but it would be a task.

and the 3.8/4.2 6 would easily make 350hp with just a blower(or as a supercoupe, some upgrades. stock internals are good to 400hp safely on supercoupes)- toss in a stroker kit from SSM and youll be good to 700+hp:poke:

N A Rush

Established Member
Ford stuff a Lightning drivetrain into a Ranger and it had working AC.

PickupTruck.Com - First Drive: Ford SVT Lightning Bolt Ranger

Steel,
Thanks!! I forgot about that one. It did give me some ideas, especially the idea of using an Econoline AC system. Somehow I left that one off of my list of links.

I didn’t want to go that route though. I guess my line of thinking against it was a small truck, smaller engine, same horsepower levels. I also wanted it to be different.

LS1 SWAP!!!

Kidding. But why not go with a good ole 5.0?

To ordinary, almost no thought to it, its been done so much...

N A Rush

Established Member

Thanks for reminding me, the DVR is set to record it now!

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
You could use the new 5.0 from the 2011. I'm sure they'll be hitting salvage yards this fall. It is more compact that past 4v engines and has the power to meet your requirements N/A. You could also use the 3.7 V6 from the 2011 Mustang, it has 305 hp N/A and will be a beast under boost.

I'm sure the 5.0 will be available from FRPP soon.

Just some food for thought.

Unoid

Established Member
Honestly the ranger looks like ass. Too bad you coudln't do custom body panels on a ranger to give it a Modified f150 look. F-150 + ranger had a kid.

I echo using fords new v-^ with a single 70+mm turbo

Users who are viewing this thread