New flywheel and clutch- why is pedal so soft?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
The dealer just put a new engine in my 03. The new engine comes with a new clutch and flywheel. I got the car back today and the clutch pedal is easy to push in. My old clutch pedal took a lumberjack leg to push in. What gives?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
they "redesigned it"

others have posted that their replacements were softer...supposedly its on the Ford computers as the new type to use...not sure whats different :shrug:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Yep. When my transmission was replaced they also replaced the clutch and flywheel.

The new unit was noticeably easier to push in.

TruBlu03

Ahh yes I remember the post now, sorry bout that. How does this engine feel compared to the last? Also wonder if the new clutches they are using are stronger than the last?? Might they be using SPEC for their new equipment?

fakesnake.com

Established Member
I took off the Densecharger and Accufab throttle body prior to taking it in for new engine. Didn't want the dealer to mess up those items up or losing them in the process.

New engine feels like those parts are already back on car. I'm also having to adjust after driving a Focus for 2 weeks.

Last edited:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
hmmmm. after they replaced my tranny the clutch effort remained the same as before. i drove our audi tt while it was getting replaced and believe me.... the 03 cobra is much stiffer than most other cars still. I like it.

but I''ve ordered the spec iii so it is moot.

:beer:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by F1Cobra
I believe they are using centerforce clutches.

If they are they suck then. Mines been replaced twice already. The new clutch will stiffen up slowly. Once you get 1K on it it'll be as stif as the old one. Enjoy the easy feel while it lasts. ;-)

F8LBITE

4xPerformanceParts
Established Member
Screw the stock clutch it is a piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My car wouldn't even go into gear over 5900rpms so I put a SPEC stage 3 in and its been great never dreamed of missing a gear now, and the pedal is great.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I hate to dig up such an old thread, but I just got my clutch replaced and it's much softer as well. You mentioned the clutch stiffening over time SoCalBlk03, was your pedal loose a bit at forst as well? Mine rattles a bit to the point where it's audible when coming to a stop. Will that tighten up (already tried to adjust it) or do you think I need to take it back to the mechanic?

matrix

I just got my clutch, TOB, and flywheel replaced and I have noticed that the pedal is softer to press. I guess this is normal .Are they using differnet parts?

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
Tech that did my car told me ford changed the spring tension spec on the new clutch setup. The clutch is just as strong but lighter pedel effort. I like it better then the first design. Besides pedel effort doesn't necessarily mean how strong the setup is!

My friends got a 93GT with a dual fiction center force and his pedel was lighter then mine.

just my 2 cents

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by tccobra
I just got my clutch, TOB, and flywheel replaced and I have noticed that the pedal is softer to press. I guess this is normal .Are they using differnet parts?

different pressure plates.....

:beer:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I replaced my own(paid a local shop to replace), since I'm the one who damaged it and bought a replacement, everything but the flywheel, which I had turned, from Ford. It did look different. The pressure plate pads were arranged differently. It's noticably easier to use the clutch. I've been to the track probably 20 times since relacement, no issues...

bigboye

Established Member
Before I got my car I called SVT to ask few question. One of my questions were what changes were they making to the 04 cobra. I was told that the clutch was of of the changes and If you bring your 03 in to have the clutch replace the new version will be the one you get. The 04 cobra should feel softer than the 03 clutch. I told the tech I liked the stiffer clutch and he said if mine went out and was going to be replaced by ford it would feel softer. It will be the same part # but different part. That's just what I was told.

Users who are viewing this thread