New Finish opinions

brainpa

Established Member
SVTP Detailing masters:

I was wondering what the collective opinions are regarding attacking a new car finish. Conventional wisdom would think that just applying a good sealant/wax is sufficient. However, do any of you all apply a light glaze or polish initially before sealant/wax? As in a swirl remover or 205?

Car in question is a new silver Infiniti Fx-37. Infiniti paint sucks BTW...

Porter cable guy here.

Appreciate the input guys!

P.S. I am reading a ton of great reviews on Adam's products, so that's next!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I wondered the same thing when I took delivery of my new Shelby late last year. Unfortunately, many new cars come with less-than-perfect finishes. I ended up doing a minor/single-stage "correction" using a PC 7424XP with a white pad and fine/finishing polish. I followed that with sealant, glaze, and wax. I remain very pleased with the results and have a number of Best in Class awards from the car shows I did this summer.

As you can tell, most of what I use comes from Adam's. They're not cheap, but almost everything they sell is made in the USA, every product I've used works exactly as advertised, and they offer a 110% satisfaction guarantee. Be sure to check out their forums BEFORE you buy, since they offer a standing 10% discount for forum members. Alternatively, you can watch for one of the 3-4 big sales they run every year, when they offer 15% off everything. That's the time to stock-up...

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
My personal method is to correct the finish first. Then jewel it using PO85rd from Menzerna with a gold pad on a PC. Then a wipe down with mineral spirits to remove all the oils. Then I either use a really nice wax. Fuzion or Collinite 845 depending on what season it is and whether the car will be parked outside or not.
I use the same preparation method if I am going to OptiCoat or Cquartz the finish.

Users who are viewing this thread