New FCA Bushings

Termilvr

Established Member
After pulling my k member to do a header install I noticed how bound up the front A arms are and would like to replace the bushing. I dont have the money to buy a after market k-member setup that i would want so I have been thinking about changing the bushings. I see the only options are prothane, global west, steeda. From what i heave read polyurethane is not the way to go. I have also read about the global west and steeda's offset the a arms forward. Doe's anyone have any experience or input on any of these?

shurur

Established Member
I just did the GW Del-A-Lum Bushings.

The cost of the part is one thing.

But you will need a shop to press out the old bushings/sleeves and press in the new AL sleeves.

Others have done it with a press/vise and sockets...but it is some doing.

Figure $35/bushing (two hours work) or more if you have it done by a mechanic/shop...and worth every penny.

As far as the bushings go..they are the Balls...and like the FTBR Delrin bushings..they have grease fittings.

Arms move freely now....and are at least 1/4" forward.

The MM bushings are the same as GW but $$$.

Global West Suspension 1076RD - Global West Suspension Del-a-lum Control Arm Bushings - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Mustang 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007

Last edited:

Termilvr

Established Member
I just did the GW Del-A-Lum Bushings.

The cost of the part is one thing.

But you will need a shop to press out the old bushings/sleeves and press in the new AL sleeves.

Others have done it with a press/vise and sockets...but it is some doing.

Figure $35/bushing (two hours work) or more if you have it done by a mechanic/shop...and worth every penny.

As far as the bushings go..they are the Balls...and like the FTBR Delrin bushings..they have grease fittings.

Arms move freely now....and are at least 1/4" forward.

The MM bushings are the same as GW but $$$.

Global West Suspension 1076RD - Global West Suspension Del-a-lum Control Arm Bushings - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Mustang 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007

Did you feel any improvment in handling that would make the price of them and the hassle of installing them worth it? does the wheel look weird pushed 1/4inch forward in the wheel well or is it not noticable?

SlowSVT

Established Member
The MM delrin bushings started out as a Ford Racing part. Here are my reinforced front A-arms with the delrin bushings, beefy Moog ball joints replacing the zero friction OEM units. These bushings are a thing of beauty (anodized housing with a spiral grease groove, huge bearing surface compared to tubular arms and zerk fitting).

RusssCobraA-armsmodified1.jpg

RusssCobraA-armsmodified2.jpg

I think you have to buy new A-arms from Ford if you want new rubber bushings. Pressing the sleeve out would be extremely difficult: cuss:

To remove the bushings use a drill press and bore holes in the rubber to weaken it. Then use a hydraulic press and a fat socket that fits inside the sleeve press the rubber out of the sleeve. Using a hacksaw blade on a handle cut a slit along the length of the sleeve then used a chisel to tear the sleeve away from the A-arm. Be careful pressing in the delrin outer sleeve into the A-arm. The holes in the A-arm are not supported in the back and will bend if they are not supported (my welded-in brace helped here).

shurur

Established Member
The GW bushings have the beefy AL sleeve with grease grooves as well.
I used Steeda X2.

As far as noticing any difference...I did it this Winter and have no real time on them...Also after a Winter with the Audi..I end up relearning the Mustang every Spring anyway.

I do want to say the car seems to cut in or bite the corners more..I don't know how to describe it better.

I knew that I was keeping the OEM K-member and A-arms...so the decision was easy for me.

IMO If you have plans for MM derlin A-arms with coilovers...then maybe MM K-member ....then just get some prothane bushings without the sleeves..and do that for now.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
The 1/4" forward is not even noticable..MM offset arms move the wheels 3/4" with no problems!!...and with MMs K-member it's possible to go to a 1-1/2" total forward offset (some adjustments need to be made for that offset).

My lowered swaybar endlinks lined up better with the offset in the A-arms as well.

Users who are viewing this thread