New F150 question??? Need help deciding!

jdl1000

Established Member
I'm thinking about buying a new F150. Those of you that have a newer F150 whats your thoughts on it? I had an older 2000 F150 and I liked it but I don't know anyone with the newer body style. I'm thinking about a 5.4 with 4X4.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Have an '05 150 "standard" cab, still has the small suicide doors.

4wd/FX4 package, 5.4, auto, 18" wheels, black cloth interior, power accesories, manual seats.

I like the whole truck, but the front skid plate is STUPID. It has a hole cut right in front of it, not sure what they were thinking.

Only thing I've done is remove the Fx4 stickers on the bed and removed some 1" spacers out of the rear leaf springs to get the rear end out of the air. Truck now sits barely up in the rear. Rides/drives/looks MUCH better.

Otherwise, no issues at all, very smooth, good power, quiet, squeek/rattle free, gets around 15+mpg in mixed city/2lane driving.

Hope this helps.

svtexcelr8

Patiently Waiting
Established Member
I have an 04 F150 5.4 supercrew (4 full doors) FX4. I absolutely love it. I got mine with the moonroof, flow through console, power back glass, leather and the audiophile stereo. I have never ridden in a more comfortable pickup truck and i get comps all the time on it. They tow wonderfully ( i have the extra towing package and 3.73s) and it performed like a champ in the ice this winter. Put some good mud tires on it and get a programmer for it and you will fall in love. The truck is highly recomended in my book!

FordRacing200

Banned
I've tested both, the 04-newer were kinda gutless, but had real sweet interior (just like the older ones) but the most impressive thing was the sheer smoothness, that thing felt like it was on a cushion of air at 102mph (maybe we were?? LOL) and it handled awesome!!! Just my .02 $ the power thing might not make sense to you, so just go drive them! The newer trucks are great in all ways just if you're going to do any towing or anything of the sort don't bother, just go for the 350 V10.

Last edited:

Mustangmaniac

Established Member
I ahve a bright red 04 fx4 supercrew that I absolutly positivly love it has an 5.4 liter motor blows the doors off of some mustangs:) but the only thing I hate about it is the skid plate thing in the front and I wish I would have gotten bigger rims intead of the 17's and I wish it was a stick

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
jdl1000 said:
I'm thinking about buying a new F150. Those of you that have a newer F150 whats your thoughts on it? I had an older 2000 F150 and I liked it but I don't know anyone with the newer body style. I'm thinking about a 5.4 with 4X4.

Thanks for any info.

If you do go with a new F-150, make sure to get yourself the new Roush intercooled kit, Trilogy, or Whipple setup. Night and day in the performance category.

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
I've been looking for quite some time and finally came across a 09' XLT 4x4 5.4L at a sweet price. It's been a damn fine truck and rides like a Cadillac.

On a side note: They discontinued the 5.4L after 2010. So if you're just buying "new to you" then look at 09-10 with the 5.4L. The 5.4 also has issues with spark plugs separating from them self when you try to remove them due to a poor design. However, in 09 ford fixed the issue with a one piece plug that supposedly doesn't have any issue. But if you do get an older one or one with old style plugs then go to NAPA for their tool to get the spark plug half out. Otherwise you're paying a dealer 400 - 600 to change them.

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
I have an 07 lariat screw. Been awesome so far. Great power, comfortable too. But the 5.4 also has crappy exhaust manifolds. Mine is leaking a bit.

That's what long tube headers made by stainless works is for:rockon::burnout:

Those headers, true deals, s&b intake, and a 5star tune for 91 boosts 75tq and 40hp. At least for 09's like mine :coolman:

99GreenCobra

Established Member
That's what long tube headers made by stainless works is for:rockon::burnout:

Those headers, true deals, s&b intake, and a 5star tune for 91 boosts 75tq and 40hp. At least for 09's like mine :coolman:

Nice gain!! If I keep the truck thats what I will do. I usually dont keep anything for more than a year or two. I have the edge tuner already and for these trucks you can make a dyno proven CAI for 15 bucks or so.

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
True, but the S&B is just sexy and I like the way it goes from a huge filter/pipe mouth and tapers down to the throttle body while moving the MAF sensor back to keep proper calibration. It also is the only one on the market that is designed for drawing in cold air from the factory spot in the fender and also has an attachment for a "ram air" for more true cold air from off the front bumper. Just wouldn't recommend that for off roading lol.

Users who are viewing this thread