New exhaust and valve stems

NJredfire03

Established Member
So I finally got the chance to purchase an axle back. I went with Corsa. I was between Corsa and Bassani. I chose Corsa because their tips are the best ones out there. The sound is great. Highway driving isn't ruined at all. No drone. It's fairly tame just cruising, stomp on it and it sings just right.

Now, valve stems. I bought the car last June. Ever since I've had it my tires were losing air. Dealer I bought it from said they couldn't find a leak, but I should keep the air at 35 and keep the TPMS light off. UMMMMMM WHAT?! No sheit, so can you figure out why I keep losing air so the light doesn't come on? Ugh, they never found a leak. I figured they did their job right and assumed the factory goodyears had little punctures or slices that couldn't be easily found. So I got new tires, reference my post about new tires, and the problem got WORSE. Sprayed the bead, nope, sprayed the stems, bubble party. Talked to my friend. He said the metal stems have a rubber seal and those deals go bad. Well that sucks. Took em out and the rubber seal was alllll corroded. See pic below. He was able to retrofit regular rubber stems on to my TPMS sensors. I can FINALLY put the damn air pump back in the trunk and keep it there. What a PITA!!! Oh I also saw that the car came with an adjustable BMR pan hard. It's not lowered. It could have been. I'll never know.

fe89a28012f3eada0db41fb639127f2e.jpg

5f53c0df2534a898e61456f254186e83.jpg

a5fd6404fc8def4fbd48a6ca42b6b418.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy49

Established Member
You can buy the TPMS metal stems and seals at your Ford dealer or any tire store. I have an adjustable BMR panhard bar and brace on my car and mine isn't lowered, I just wanted to be able to center the rearend.

RockAuto also sells the metal stems.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Snoop, I didn't want to go back to metal if they were just going to do this again. I chose to go to rubber

Snoopy49

Established Member
The rubber stems have a lower speed rating than the metal stems. If you don't plan on going over 155 MPH you shouldn't have any problems.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
This happened to me at a little over 110 or so and my front left tire went flat immediately. I went back to metal stems on all four asap.

20150627_115630_zpsrd9xwzmy.jpg

**** rubber stems.

NJredfire03

Established Member
This happened to me at a little over 110 or so and my front left tire went flat immediately. I went back to metal stems on all four asap.

20150627_115630_zpsrd9xwzmy.jpg

**** rubber stems.

Well damn. Can't say I've ever seen that.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
How did you ever find the stem?
I didn't, it's still partially attached in the photo. It was stuck in the position you see it and I had to rip it the rest of the way to break it loose. I started a thread about it asking for recommendations on small and metal tpms sensors.

Well damn. Can't say I've ever seen that.

Me either, I was very unhappy sitting on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck. That shit coulda been serious business at the speed I was going.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I didn't, it's still partially attached in the photo. It was stuck in the position you see it and I had to rip it the rest of the way to break it loose. I started a thread about it asking for recommendations on small and metal tpms sensors.

Me either, I was very unhappy sitting on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck. That shit coulda been serious business at the speed I was going.

I gotta think that it had to be a faulty stem. I'd hate to put metal stems back on and have leaky tires again in 2 years

Snoopy49

Established Member
I gotta think that it had to be a faulty stem. I'd hate to put metal stems back on and have leaky tires again in 2 years

I wouldn't worry about having to replace the metal valve stem in 2 years. I have been on this and other GT500 forms since 2012 and yours is the first valve stem corrosion problem I have read about.
Looking at your picture, it looks like the corrosion on the rubber seal was from the rim and not the valve stem.
The factory metal valve stems are stainless steel. Check with a magnet to confirm.

Last edited:

NJredfire03

Established Member
I wouldn't worry about having to replace the metal valve stem in 2 years. I have been on this and other GT500 forms since 2012 and yours is the first valve stem corrosion problem I have read about.

Well wtf? That sucks.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member

It's possible, or maybe even it was installed incorrectly and damaged, I don't know what caused it to go bad like that. Good luck either way you go!

NJredfire03

Established Member
It's possible, or maybe even it was installed incorrectly and damaged, I don't know what caused it to go bad like that. Good luck either way you go!

Thanks man, likewise. I'd hate to see that happen to anyone. I'll heed warnings and won't go that fast.

NJredfire03

Established Member
In that case, I would be worried about the corrosion in the wheel.

Which doesn't make sense. I was with my friend when he swapped out stems. And it looked like there was just residue from the corrosion on the rubber seal. Either way, my friend cleaned up the hole for the stem with some light sand paper. I still have the OEM ones which I will keep as a back up

Users who are viewing this thread