new engine low on power....

Keith 5.0

5.0 is the way to go
Established Member
I recently installed my new engine and got it back on the road. Upon taking it for a test drive, I realized that it doesn't have any low end torque to it. It doesn't really pick up on power until 3000 rpms. Any idea as to what it might be?

My car consists of the following...

teksid block, standard bore
JE flat top pistons (11:1 CR)
Scat 4340 rods
stock unported heads/ stock cams/ stock unported intake
LT's & Prochamber
4.10 gears/ solid axle

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
99'-01' 4v have no low end torque, sucks but its true. If your making good power around 3000k then your doing good. I think most dont start to get going good until after 4k.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
cobra2798 said:
99'-01' 4v have no low end torque, sucks but its true. If your making good power around 3000k then your doing good. I think most dont start to get going good until after 4k.

4v or not compression makes torque the car should have more lowend than a stock c/r cobra.
Other than compression ratio the engines mostly stock, if you had ported heads, intake, and 03 cobra cams listed then Id think theres a problem. When in doubt get it dynoed w/ an air fuel reading.

Keith 5.0

5.0 is the way to go
Established Member
I know it's a 4V, but I drove the car for 2 months before it took a dump on me, I know it wasn't this low on power before.

I forgot to mention that the car's not tuned, which is what I'm hoping it is. I knew I'd need a tune before taking it on a long drive, I just figured I'd be able to take it around the block and see how it drove.

I put 111 octane in the tank mixed with 91, just to ensure I wouldn't do any damage while taking it around the block. I mixed around 5 gal. of 111 with about 4 gal. of 91

Last edited:

duane v

Established Member
Way too much octane for 11.1 CPR...the most youll need is 100..If they still had 93 octane in CA, I would try to run that octane with my 11.1 pistons...

Give it some time, youre probably used to the the torque of the 5.0 that you drive around...DA snake boy!!!

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
get it to a dyno, changing the compression/internals on mine made my tune all crazy as well. Mine felt like crap after the rebuild but after tuning it got back to the way it should feel

wallie40

Established Member
hey kieth glad to see that miz got your car up and running. He did a great job on my live axle.

-pAul

Last edited:

4vBlewDevil

HOW MUCH BOOST??
Established Member
yeah my buddy swapped out his pistons in his 01 4v to 10.5:1 and he had the same problem. once he got his cai and had it tuned it ran way diff. the computer can compensate for small changes in fuel air spark but jumping from 9.85:1 to 11:1 is a big change for the computer. if it still runs like crap after having it tuned the only other thing i can think of its its s new motor and if its not a factory spec motor it may take some times to wear in. id say 3-5k miles to really feel where it should.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the rings seat in the first 30 minutes of run time.

flat top pistons get you to about 10.5cr, not 11 to 1.

basically, the extra octane ain't helping and yeah, its a 4v.

Keith 5.0

5.0 is the way to go
Established Member
quadcammer said:
the rings seat in the first 30 minutes of run time.

flat top pistons get you to about 10.5cr, not 11 to 1.

basically, the extra octane ain't helping and yeah, its a 4v.

I realize these pistons bring the CR up to 10.5:1, but the machine shop milled a little off the heads and the block. My engine builder calculated my CR and it's 11:1

bigpapa

Established Member
Becasue if the increase in compression you are rich and that is causing you to be down on power. Go get it tuned.

4vBlewDevil

HOW MUCH BOOST??
Established Member
yeah it shouldnt cost you much to get it tuned, a pass on the dyno with a wideband hooked up will let you know where you stand, and if you have a handheld tuner like me you dont have to pay them to add more fuel or spark, i got like 30 wrh from just adding a bit to my wot fuel table...and im almost certain that you will gain a good amout of power when your AF ratio is where it should be.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Keith 5.0 said:
I realize these pistons bring the CR up to 10.5:1, but the machine shop milled a little off the heads and the block. My engine builder calculated my CR and it's 11:1

in that case, its possible your cam timing is off.

Users who are viewing this thread