New engine build pics ... MMR 1000 (56k warning!)

skidad62

Established Member
Well all my parts have arrived and final assembly is slated for this week.

Here's the specs of the mods...

MMR 4.6 Street Mod 1000 (up to 1000 RWHP) - "The Aluminator Shortblock Killer"

*Brand New Cast Iron 2004 Cobra Block, torque plate bored and honed
*New 4340 Forged 3.543 stroke Cobra Crankshaft w/micro polished journals
*New 4340 5.933 Manley H-beam Rods w/ARP rod bolts (shotpeened, magnafluxed and weight matched)
*New Forged Manley pistons (Low compression with notches cut for the 274 cams)
*Speed Pro file fit rings (precision file fit to my blower)
*Speed Pro/Federal Mogul or Clevite Tri-metal Rod and ACL Performance Main bearings
*MMR block side bolts
*ARP Mainstuds
*MMR Street/Racing Oil Pump
*MMR/Felpro Extreme Duty Headgaskets
*ARP Headstuds
*MMR windage tray and hardware kit
*FRPP 2v ported heads
*Comp Cam Xtreme Energy™, XE274H cams
* Comp Cam Beehive valve springs
* Valve cover Breather kit for Supercharged applications
* MMR Street/Strip 7 Qrt. Oil pan
* FRP 60 lb fuel injectors
* Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch kit
* Custom Tune from Performance Dyno in Concord, NH
* FRP Aluminum Driveshaft
* FRP Driveshaft Safety Loop

Here's some pics of the progress...

Old engine with broken pistons, burned rings (and 4 bent valves in the heads)

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

Heads are deconstructed and in the process of being ported, and completely rebuilt including new valves, Comp Can springs and Comp Cam 274 cams

IMG_2218.jpg

My new MMR 1000 shortblock

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

Here's my car waiting for the new motor (check out the engine hoist!! )

IMG_2187.jpg

mustangengine1.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

mustangengine2.jpg

mustangenginebay.jpg

DaBigBone

Established Member
Lookin good! I really wish I wasn't so strapped for money, I have an MMR Block screaming at me in the garage!

skidad62

Established Member
Well it's been a long and expensive road... but I'm getting close on my build. Back in early May I blew my stock motor. We have now determined the cause - it was detonation caused by a lean condition. I had been told by my original builder that he had rigged up twin SVT focus pumps and that I had a safe tune and lots of fuel. Not so... only one pump was hooked up the other was a dead slave... was running out of fuel at 5200 rpm and with a red line set at 6200 it was only a matter of time. She blew big.

So... out with the old and in went a new MMR 1000 shortblock - fully built. Also ported the heads and added a set of Comp Cam XE274H cams. Upgraded the flywheel to a Fidanza aluminim unit to match up to the new 8 bolt crank. Also stepped up to a Centerforce dual friction clutch and an aluminum driveshaft and a driveshaft safety loop.

At Performance Dyno in Concord NH we discovered the fuel issues left behind by the original builder... and had to limit revs to 5200 to be safe until I can remedy the problem. Also noted that we are only getting 10 psi of boost with the big cams and exhaust valve overlap - need to address that too. Put down just over 400 rwhp and just shy of 400 rwtq with those limits - not bad for the big restrictions.

So... I've sourced a new fuel system

Terminator fuel tank w baffles
Fore Precision Works solid billet dual fuel hat
Zone 5 mega driver module to drive twin pumps
Dual Ford GT supercar fuel pumps
-8 an fuel lines from pumps to rails
60 lb injectors

To get my boost up I've also sourced a complete 8 rib conversion kit for my Vortech V2 SQ SI trim. Also went to a smaller Reichard Racing 2.80" blower pulley. This will be the limit for what my Vortech can spin and will require me to hold the MMR 1000 down.

Last step to go is a conversion from draw thru where my original builder had it to a new blow thru set up using a 05+ slot stle MAF.

Also picked up a Speed of Sound gauge pod with Autometer wideband and fuel pressure gauges and a Raptor shift light.

It'll be about 7-10 days or so before the last install parts are on. Then I need to get back to New Hampshire and get Pete Johnson to finish up the tune.

One other wrinkle that I hit in the build was the new MMR 8 quart oil pan that I installed... they swore that it would fit no problem... but turns out that only holds true for coupes... my vert required a lot of fabrication to make it work. Most notably there is a chassis brace and oilpan shield that needed to be completely overhauled. I've got some pics of that below too.

Here's a couple of quick vids at idle ...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otYKV31Zxwo&NR=1"]YouTube- ‪Comp Cam XE274H cams 2003 Mustang‬‎[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dir23MgC0c0&NR=1"]YouTube- ‪Comp Cam XE274H cams 2003 Mustang Vortech‬‎[/nomedia]

Here's a bunch of pics...

339.jpg

342.jpg

343.jpg

344.jpg

346.jpg

348.jpg

352.jpg

350.jpg

353.jpg

354.jpg

355.jpg