new engine build help

exp500

Boost Addict
Established Member
Alright, I'm new in the modular department, although I know the basics I want some feedback and opinions, I have a termi with a fried piston #8, I will be trying to do a somewhat budget build, my thoughts are keep the stock rods and crank, and go new pistons, the engine is taken apart and ready to go to the machine shop for a hone if possible, if not I will go 20 over. I have no idea what pistons I should go with that will support good power but are affordable. I will be upgrading to arp bolts. And yes I want stockish compression, which correct me if I'm wrong 8.5:1, thanks svtp in advance! :banana:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
You should be able to reuse your stock crank and rods no problem unless there is something wrong. Plan for the future and step up to ARP head studs, rod bolts, and cam bolts while the engine is being rebuilt. Again, plan for the future on your piston choice also. I personally run JE custom pistons with a very thick top ring land and heavier skirts because the power my car makes, but I wish I would have went to this type of piston years ago. Good luck.

Last edited:

exp500

Boost Addict
Established Member
Thank you for the reply, as far as I can tell everything is in order except one side of one piston having the protective coating wearing a bit, looked worse at night, however I don't re-use pistons. I got a hold of RSP and was leading me towards mahle pistons, I'm not familiar with them however from some things I have read the je pistons are forged pistons with expensive coatings. The Mahle are similar to Manley, any thoughts? I would love custom pistons however I'm not swimming in cash, just a good ol boy wanting to go fast lol

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The Manley are by far the best Modular pistons available, the MMR/Manley design is the only piston for a modular proven to handle up to 3000HP!! And for a great price of just $799 LOL! We keep all compression ratios and bore sizes in stock. We also have the economy Manley version starting at just $599. We also stock all of the rings and bearing kits. You can even send in your shortblock for the rebuild!

Let us know how we can help

MMR
Modular Motorsports Racing
chutes%20out.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread