New Edge vs Terminator

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
When slapping a supercharger on a new edge do owners have to worry about cooling mods like the 03-04 guys have to or is that problem usually resoplved by getting a built motor in the 99-01's...just curious becuase of everything you read about the 03-04's needing all the cooling mods available but you never here anything about the 99-01's doing anything special...

Thanks in advance...

TacticalKaos

Established Member
svt1.8t said:
any car with slapping a sc on the should look into cooling mods just to be safe

Yup, more air=more fuel=more flame=more heat. I'd suggest a performance radiator and oil cooler (and def. an intercooler) on just about any forced induction or high compression car.

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
It depends on what your definition of 'cooling mods' is. All FI'd cars are going to really benefit from an intercooler of some sort, that's one type of cooling mod. What I think you're referring to is the LDC/Apten cooling mod, which is pretty much 03/4 specific due to the desin of the water passage design on those particular motors. The 99/01's have a differently designed block/head that doesnt have these same issues. Not to mention the whole block is Al rather than Iron, which is tons better at dissipating heat.

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
Snarf said:
It depends on what your definition of 'cooling mods' is. All FI'd cars are going to really benefit from an intercooler of some sort, that's one type of cooling mod. What I think you're referring to is the LDC/Apten cooling mod, which is pretty much 03/4 specific due to the desin of the water passage design on those particular motors. The 99/01's have a differently designed block/head that doesnt have these same issues. Not to mention the whole block is Al rather than Iron, which is tons better at dissipating heat.

exactly what I was referring to, burning up #7 pistons and stuff along with cylinder scarring or whatever the technical name is for it...but I see your point about the blocks being different...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The 99/01's woudl likely still benefit from the LDC/Apten cooling mod, especially in high HP situations. That's just a given I would think.

Anything you can do to keep temps down is going to give you greater reliability and performance.

Wicked

Established Member
It depends on what you use the car for. My car has been happy on the stock cooling system for 2.5 years with a 13psi setup. Only time I nearly overheated was when my fan failed.

I dunno about the Terminator heat problems, but most of it probably has to do with the 160+ mph pulls I keep seeing. And of course, an eaton will add a lot more heat then a centirfugal will.

Users who are viewing this thread