New Edge Styling...Where Does it Fit?

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
I've always thought about this but thought it would be fun to get other opinions:)
I feel the New Edge body (Terminators included;-) ) should have been produced After the 05 body, smoother and more cool in my un-prejudiced opinion :D :-D

96 chris

Established Member
I think it kinda fit in because first you had the muscle cars - i'm going to catogorize the mustang 2 in that styling as well - then your onto the fox bodies, car in general got a lot smaller and squarer, so that style fits in (think about 80's camaro's, late 80's corvettes) - finally in 94 things got quite a bit smoother and rounder for the stang, a bit bigger too. look at the cars that switched to the round styling. The corvette got slippery in 97. the firebird and camaro, which had rounded out a bit but were still rather pointy, got really round in 98. This brings us to New Edge 99! I think a lot lot lot of car companies embraced this edgy style - think caddilac models, 03 chevy pickups, even the new vipers and vette are quite edgy. You have too agree that there are a lot of killer lines on this mustang style which is one of the reasons it is so popular. The Retro style mustang was a garunteed hit because Ford did it right. retro style cars had already been testing the markets(pt cruiser, ssr) and had done alright so ford new there was interest. look at the success of the 300c as well. Retro is huge right now(challenger anyone). The new edge and retro combined is what we are going to see more of from the american manufactureres in the short term.(new camaro??)(mustang concept??)

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
96 chris said:
I think it kinda fit in because first you had the muscle cars - i'm going to catogorize the mustang 2 in that styling as well - then your onto the fox bodies, car in general got a lot smaller and squarer, so that style fits in (think about 80's camaro's, late 80's corvettes) - finally in 94 things got quite a bit smoother and rounder for the stang, a bit bigger too. look at the cars that switched to the round styling. The corvette got slippery in 97. the firebird and camaro, which had rounded out a bit but were still rather pointy, got really round in 98. This brings us to New Edge 99! I think a lot lot lot of car companies embraced this edgy style - think caddilac models, 03 chevy pickups, even the new vipers and vette are quite edgy. You have too agree that there are a lot of killer lines on this mustang style which is one of the reasons it is so popular. The Retro style mustang was a garunteed hit because Ford did it right. retro style cars had already been testing the markets(pt cruiser, ssr) and had done alright so ford new there was interest. look at the success of the 300c as well. Retro is huge right now(challenger anyone). The new edge and retro combined is what we are going to see more of from the american manufactureres in the short term.(new camaro??)(mustang concept??)
I was going to joke that your response is pretty cerebral for these boards but that not true...........actually your opinion is well thought but no matter retro or not the New Edge looks fresh and more modern and evolution-wise I still feel should have come after the 05 style:coolman:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Its tough to say. Since it flows well after the 94-98 body style. What really doesn't match is the transition from the Fox body to the SN95 body style.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Hmm, interesting topic.

Personally I've always thought the best looking body style was the '96-'98 Cobra. I've always been keen on the rounded fog lights, the hood nostrils and the rounded body contours. Some day I'd like to have one of those cars and actually swap in an irs!

As far as the S197 goes, I've never been a huge fan of the whole retro trend. Frankly I think this whole retro trend signifies that they're running out of fresh design ideas in Detroit. Think of what will the 2015 Mustang look like?

However, after renting a Shelby GT-H in Vegas earlier this year, I can see why people like the new cars so much. It's a smooth riding and handling car w/ a very comfortable interior so I could see how this car would appearl to folks who hadn't previously owned a Mustang or who wanted an upgrade in comfort . . . read that as plenty of baby boomers trying to relive their youth!

I still think the automatic trans and the throttle by wire of the S197 makes the car lurch forward from a stop in a disconcerting way, especially in traffic. So given all of that, I'll definitely stick w/ my less retro, less refined "New Edge".

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Its tough to say. Since it flows well after the 94-98 body style. What really doesn't match is the transition from the Fox body to the SN95 body style.
Actually now that I think of it the New Edge is a refining of the 94-98 style and should be after it but still the sn197 is a departure, though a new platform I will always prefer the New Edge and as far as Im concerned its the nicest Mustang style so far.
Not just because I have one, prior to this I had my beloved Fox for 11 years. :coolman:

01VNMS4v

T-E-X-A-S!!
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
What the next "Cobra" should look like? (Just add a 6.2 N/A aluminum engine pushing 400 hp, and throw in an IRS and maybe an SLA option.)

Not to get off topic

Well I would hope something like this will be in the future but for the regular Mustang. The new Camaro base will have at least that (ls3 ?? Something) and the base Vette already 438 coming in Oct

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
HitmanKB said:
Ford will go to a 5L 400 HP DOHC V8 before they go back to pushrod!

You would hope that would be the case, but w/ the financial straights FoMoCo is in these days I think it'll be a few years before they seriously look at a new engine platform. If you think about the 5.0 went from '79 - 95 so I figure we've got at least another 5 - 8 years of 4.6 OHC variants.

Here's a vid of the Mustang evolution I uploaded to youtube. Sorry for the crappy quality, I had a copy of a copy on my hd and of course the transfer to youtube degrades that even more!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L1ry5D5z594

StevesBuddyAntz

Established Member
Its a modernized version of the sn95, similar to the change of the LT1 and LS1 cars but more drastic, basically just smoother lines. I think it was put out at the right time. Plus its also the last of the old ford chasis.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Personally I think the New Edge Mustangs to be the best looking of the bunch bar none. After seeing the S197 I ran out an got my 04 Cobra before they were all gone. If I was in the market for a new Muscle car I would look elsewhere.

Maybe Ford will re-release the Fox 4.

StevesBuddyAntz

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Personally I think the New Edge Mustangs to be the best looking of the bunch bar none. After seeing the S197 I ran out an got my 04 Cobra before they were all gone. If I was in the market for a new Muscle car I would look elsewhere.

Maybe Ford will re-release the Fox 4.
s197's look very good w/ the right wheels. When they first came out those production wheels were god awful, imo they hurt the look of the whole car.... Im Not sure what ford was thinking.. I also think the new edge's are one of the best bodysyle's to date.

96 chris

Established Member
i think they could have made the S197 a liiiiiittle bit smaller - say 6-8 inches shorter. The 2 main transitions from new edge to s197 (i think) are the fender flares - exactly off of the 99-04, and the rear bumper has exhuast cutouts on the gt and not the v6. I'm glad about the flares because like someone posted above...with the right wheels these cars look really wide and agressive - just like the 99-04's. the problem i see is that that car overall is so big that you need minimum 20" wheels to give it a cutting killer stance, while the sn95 18" wheel is plenty large enough.

StevesBuddyAntz

Established Member
96 chris said:
the problem i see is that that car overall is so big that you need minimum 20" wheels to give it a cutting killer stance, while the sn95 18" wheel is plenty large enough.
Funny you should say that. I believe it was a BF Goodrich add when the s197's first came out it was the 1st time I saw the new GT on a clean 5 star type 20 inch wheel and it was one of the nicest cars ive ever laid eyes on...From that day on I also agreed that the car needs 20. Not sure what size the production 5 stars are now there putting on the s197's but they also make the car look very nice. Kinda similar to the new 350z's when they 1st came out, those wheels (the ones that sort of look like the new saleen wheels) were horrible compared to the ones there putting on. For me it's makes all the difference.

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
Not to sound too negative or jealous about the sn197:rollseyes but the aftermarket stuff especially engine bay appearance items is incredible. Colors matching your car color are in a host of items but once the engine is covered its cool but its as if the engine has been replaced with a colred plastic powerplant. :-D Reminds me of the new mopar hemi engine bays with all the plastic coverage it has.
Give me a 32v cobra engine anyday now thats old school and even with some chrome and polished metal you know you're looking at 1 mean machine.:-D

StevesBuddyAntz

Established Member
Been pricing the s197's the last few day and u can find the 05's for right around 20 w/ good mileage, and less outta Jersey. Might be an option in the near future. Seems a SCT,CAI , and some light exhaust work gets them moving. Might be interesting to go w/ a new platform. If those original release rims :xpl: come w/ it that'll be my second round of mods though lol

Users who are viewing this thread