New edge LS motor swap - trans question

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Hey, if my 2000 GT does not sell I want to do a 5.3L LS swap with a turbo on it.

Will be pulling many parts off of my Z this winter so I could upgrade the 5.3 motor pretty easily, but anyways onto my question.

Anyone know what auto trans would be pretty much a "direct" bolt on to the car?

I know the 4L80e trans will bolt up to the 5.3 but will my stock auto linkages and stuff work for that trans or would I have to fab something up?

That is my only real issues before diving into this swap.

Anyone have any info they can give me?

Thanks!

Chais92

Established Member
First off, i highly doubt this is gonna be greeted very well on this site. Now, with that being said, I think it's awesome and have actually thought about selling my setup to do it in my car! I'm not knowledgable on this swap so I can't be of any real input. I read one thread with the swap and he said the trans mounted right up but didn't mention anything about linkages. Sorry bro! Good luck and I would love to see the final outcome!

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Found a link to a for sale thread. Guy said he got the stock trans linkages to work with the 4L80e trans.

Might do this swap after all. There is so much more room in the Engine bay for activities with a pushrod motor as compared to a modular motor.

sportinawoody

Established Member
first register as a democrat, become a homo, find a mate of an opposite culture, sell your grand childrens future, defect to a 3rd world country and renounce your citizenship, get an obamaphone obamacare and foodstamps, get an education in liberal arts, join greenpeace, then do your mustang a favor and drive it off a cliff james dean style and put it out of it's misery. how about we take your limp dick and sew it on a female monkey first and see how it works out for the monkey ?
Or just sell yours and buy this one : http://hooniverse.com/2014/03/04/craigslist-one-mustang-troll-them-all/

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
first register as a democrat, become a homo, find a mate of an opposite culture, sell your grand childrens future, defect to a 3rd world country and renounce your citizenship, get an obamaphone obamacare and foodstamps, get an education in liberal arts, join greenpeace, then do your mustang a favor and drive it off a cliff james dean style and put it out of it's misery. how about we take your limp dick and sew it on a female monkey first and see how it works out for the monkey ?
Or just sell yours and buy this one : CraigsList: One Mustang troll them all | Hooniverse

I'm taking out the 2v, so i'm doing it a huge favor already.

sportinawoody

Established Member
That was meant as a joke to make you laugh ! No offense, my brother is doing this same exact swap in a 95. gl with your build.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
No hate here. Anyone who knows anything about the ls motors can tell you what work horses they are. They're fantastic.

I have no help but I do wish you luck. I used to want to do a swap similar to this, but the logistics of it were a bit more than my bank account could handle. It's not a very simple swap into a new edge, but is worth it in the end. Good luck with the swap brother!!

blacksheep-1

Established Member
FWIW I've swapped small block Chevies into about everything, 69 Cudas, Triumph Spitfires (with a blower) old GTOs and mid 60s Buicks and misc T-buckets and hot rods. My favorite was a big block Chevy with the painted steel stock valve covers and a Moroso front drive distributor that was painted Ford blue that we passed off as a "Cleveland" Ford...(to most people anyway) .

I like the new edge body styles, but being old skool, I miss pushrods..although I do love my SOHC 4.6 with the Kenne Bell in my 99. It's dependable as an anvil, I take it on trips all the time w/o a peep. I just "bumped" it to 10psi and an intercooler so we'll see. IT has about 80k on the clock.

Good luck on the swap it sounds pretty cool.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I sold almost all of my 2v stuff and still have my built teksid block sitting on a stand. I might buy a cheap set of 4v B heads and an on3 turbo kit but I dont know.

I can get a whole 5.3 motor with trans and wiring harness for around $700.

Time will tell what I do.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I sold almost all of my 2v stuff and still have my built teksid block sitting on a stand. I might buy a cheap set of 4v B heads and an on3 turbo kit but I dont know.

I can get a whole 5.3 motor with trans and wiring harness for around $700.

Time will tell what I do.

Flip over tot he cobra forums there is a guy over there with a cracked Teksid block that needs another....he's sounding desperate BTW

lilpanther

Established Member
Found a link to a for sale thread. Guy said he got the stock trans linkages to work with the 4L80e trans.

Might do this swap after all. There is so much more room in the Engine bay for activities with a pushrod motor as compared to a modular motor.

I have read quite a bit about doing that swap and I think it would be easier to just put in an aftermarket shifter rather than trying to rig the stock on to work. I just don't see how to really get the stock one to work right since the stock shifter only has PRND21 whereas 4l80e vehicles have PRNOD321.

NC03GT

Established Member
Theres a guy that works at Mayhem here in NC and his turbo 5.3 rolls out on his new edge. Ive personally seen the car run 9.60's at the local track. His was a stock bottom end 5.3 with stock heads and a cam with the turbo. Not sure on the numbers but his car runs hard. Theres a guy on the local forums Horsepowerjunkies.net that had a fully built blown 2v. Ended up parting his whole set up and built a stroked Ls motor with turbo and dipped into the 8s after he did the swap. claimed after parting out his set up, ended up coming out of pocket less than a thousand and picked up 2 secs in the 1/4mile...

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I think i'm going to go with a junkyard 5.3 and put my stock LS7 intake/cam into the motor and fab up a turbo kit for it.

I'm leaning towards doing that and just cutting up my stock console to fit the shifter

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
What year is the Corvette? The C6's are beautiful cars! No offense was meant by the earlier reply. I just kind of relate swapping a Chevy engine into a Ford the same a having a sex change...lol.

It is a 2006.

I can get the motor for cheap so I do not care. I'm not really brand loyal and I will have a spare LS7 intake/cam too to put on the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread