new edge cobras against the 05-10 GT's

01MGSVT

Established Member
how do the new edge cobras hold up against the 05-10 GT's? my girlfriend just bought a legend lime 05 GT and i drove it around, i was pretty surprised at the power it has for a GT.

99Snaker

Resident Coffee Addict
Established Member
Usually a driver's race, if it's stock vs. stock. From what I've seen time and time again at the local dyno, the 3V's are a little more mod-friendly, meaning, I've seen much larger gains at the wheels on the 3V Gt's than I've seen on the 4V Cobras, but in the end, driver's race if all things are equal.

01MGSVT

Established Member
would be a good match

i agree!! i personally think if her GT had a JLT cai, tune, and a good exhaust system my cobra would not be a match for it. it highly has me thinking about going to maybe an 08 GT or something in that area. plus the interior in those body syles put the 94-04s to shame.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Fixed it for ya' ;-)

i agree!! i personally think if her GT had a JLT cai, tune, and a good exhaust system my cobra would not be a match for it. it highly has me thinking about going to maybe an '11 GT or something in that area. plus the interior in those body syles put the 94-04s to shame.

Predatorbird

Established Member
i agree!! i personally think if her GT had a JLT cai, tune, and a good exhaust system my cobra would not be a match for it. it highly has me thinking about going to maybe an 08 GT or something in that area. plus the interior in those body syles put the 94-04s to shame.

My next door neighbor just bought an 07. I haven't gone for a ride in it yet, but they should be an even match from what I hear. I'm very jealous of the interior on the newer cars. I would love to have the 05+ interior in a 99-04 body.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
My next door neighbor just bought an 07. I haven't gone for a ride in it yet, but they should be an even match from what I hear. I'm very jealous of the interior on the newer cars. I would love to have the 05+ interior in a 99-04 body.

I agree 100% :beer:

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
i never realized those 05-10 GTs were that stout. I just looked up the specs for new edge and 05-10 gts and it seems they weigh about the same. Seems odd since the 05-10 looks so much bigger. With about the same power output it doesn't look good for the new edge.

01MGSVT

Established Member
i never realized those 05-10 GTs were that stout. I just looked up the specs for new edge and 05-10 gts and it seems they weigh about the same. Seems odd since the 05-10 looks so much bigger. With about the same power output it doesn't look good for the new edge.

yeah thats what im thinking, my cobra would beat it off the line seeing as i have 4:10s, but 0-100 i think the GT would beat it.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
In a quarter mile they are very equal and we take the edge by something like .2 of a sec. It mostly comes down to the driver when it comes to close races like that. I have beaten a few of them already and only "performance" mod that I have is O/R X with Borla catback nothing special.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
lol, id love to have one of those but that is way out of my price range!!

There not as pricey as you might think, sure if you load em up with all the options it will get up there but a base gt which is still very nice is right at 30 with tax and destination fee's. With the a or x plan and dealer rebates Ive seen them order up for as low as 27 out the door with a few grand down that payment wouldn't be to bad. Think about it... think about it.... :beer:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
My pops has an 05 vert, I drive it around and its fairly stock except a k&N and flowmasters. Car is better set up for the street as it feels better in the low end, but I can tell the car is slower than mine and feels heavier for sure, but I do like driving it a lot compared to my car sometimes but then again I am no longer stock. My car is still running stock gears and I can feel it on the low end compared to the 05 where it seems the torque is there when it needs it based on the variable cam timing.

Anyways your car can def. be a faster car, but once you start modding everything can go out the window.

sweetcobra1

Established Member
I have an 01 with 3.73,jlt,and catback.I was dead even with a 06 with 3.73,O/R x,catback,intake and tune.I mean DEAD even.So I think u shouldnt have a problem with her gt

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
I've driven both, I like the ride of the new edge cars better, when you powershift an s197 it jumps all over the place. My mom has an 07 gt with 4:10's x pipe catback, cai and tune and made 303hp and went 12.89@104 on a "decent" pass.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
its a pretty damn good match. theyre about even. i ran my buddy last night (05satingt) my mods in sig, his mods are pypes shortys, o/r x, magnapack cb, c&l intake. got him by about a car each time. did a couple 2nd gear rolls from 45 and a couple 3rd gear rolls from about 70-80. definately a drivers race because both cars are about equally matched. from the 1st 2nd gear roll, he came back around and we were door to door at the top of 3rd into 4th. and the other rolls i got him by just about a car maybe a hair more or less. regardless, theyre evenly matched for the most part. as far as bolt ons go...

wma8706

Established Member
It is somewhat of a drivers race but this is what should be expected ... [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttM8bbb4qf8"]YouTube- ‪99 Cobra vs 05 GT‬‎[/nomedia]

Last edited:

clbailey

Established Member
I blew the doors off a 05-09 gt/cs at the track last friday.
View Video on FQuick

Best run of the night was 13.7, it was 100+ degrees with intermittent rain, that they didn't jet dry off the track. Was the worst track prep ive ever seen, none what so ever I hopped bad in first till shifting into second, hopped till it caught in 2nd then topped the quarter in third. I need 4.10s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread