New Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Encounter

Drewsky65

Established Member

here is a stock vs stock vid. with a little suprise in the end. looks pretty darn even to me. i dont know why there is ppl on here saying this is impossible?? a modded gt500 will easily pull on a stock hellcat and visa versa. even in 4th there is enough tq to get moving.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member

here is a stock vs stock vid. with a little suprise in the end. looks pretty darn even to me. i dont know why there is ppl on here saying this is impossible?? a modded gt500 will easily pull on a stock hellcat and visa versa. even in 4th there is enough tq to get moving.

My stock terminator would pull on both those : /

Troponin

Established Member

Lies. That GT500 is heavily modded.

TrollDad3.png

jbs$

Established Member
The HC has two big advandages, a higher HP engin and an eight speed AT that will keep the higher HP engin centered in it's power band. This combo will generally beat the lower HP six speed.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The ironic thing is, this isn't true. The gearing and torque of the HC makes it an interesting performer. The GT500 is quicker off the line, but the HC hits 150mph faster than the GT500 in stock form...by a full 2 seconds, according to some tests. It also pulls some pretty crazy 1/2 mile and standing mile times. It was DESIGNED for high speeds, which is why they are wicked on the highway and rolling. So it's the opposite; if you want more of a chance in a GT500, you're better off from a dig.

You're referring to the Car and Driver test where they ran a Hellcat to 150 on those 3-season tires in 33-degree weather after a huge cold front had rolled into Michigan. I don't think that outlier of a test is real-world accurate and shouldn't be used for comparison.

A better comparison would be comparing the MPH from a Charger Hellcat at the Colorado Mile versus what I ran in my '14 with 3.73s, TB, Ford Racing res delete, and extremely conservative VMP tune (by my request a/f was slightly richer than stock). The DA was around 8500 feet those two days. Hellcat was 168-171 with a hero run at 172 with a 25-mph tailwind. I was 171-173.5 without the tail wind, on my run with the tail wind I was slightly off going into 5th and ran 173.5 again.

Though OP's encounter wasn't both cars starting side-by-side at the same time OP wasn't bs'ing.

ArchdukePoland

Established Member
I read the first page and couldn't be bothered to read the other 4. I find it hard to believe that the Hellcat was even racing based on your description.

chris1badL

Established Member
My 800hp HC I think is a turd. I'm not all that impressed with it. Actually its for sale if anyone is interested. Lol. This story is believable

fearthesnake

Established Member
My 800hp HC I think is a turd. I'm not all that impressed with it. Actually its for sale if anyone is interested. Lol. This story is believable
A turd? Cant imagine any 800hp being one. Why do you say that?

What car did you come from prior to the HC?

chris1badL

Established Member
A turd? Cant imagine any 800hp being one. Why do you say that?

What car did you come from prior to the HC?
Don't get me wrong its fast and strictly a highway monster but also a big car. I came out of a 2016 GT with a whipple making 700hp. The car is hell to drive on the track with a 6 speed. Throwing codes, laying down, etc.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Don't get me wrong its fast and strictly a highway monster but also a big car. I came out of a 2016 GT with a whipple making 700hp. The car is hell to drive on the track with a 6 speed. Throwing codes, laying down, etc.
Ahh, got ya. So which car is faster- the GT or the HC?

paluka21

Established Member

Due to how big the hellcats are and the weight they carry, they're deceptively fast. Saw a hellcat Charger running a few weeks ago, and went bottom 10's (10.1 - 10.2) with few modifications, and quoted to make in the neighborhood of 775rwhp. Also saw a stock A8 Challenger running 11.3 - 11.4 in 90 degree heat.

chris1badL

Established Member
Due to how big the hellcats are and the weight they carry, they're deceptively fast. Saw a hellcat Charger running a few weeks ago, and went bottom 10's (10.1 - 10.2) with few modifications, and quoted to make in the neighborhood of 775rwhp. Also saw a stock A8 Challenger running 11.3 - 11.4 in 90 degree heat.
I'm guessing both autos. The A8 isn't no joke. Turning a decent time in a M6 is another story. There was another M6 out at the track identical mods to mine running same mph. Also had 2 other guys that I know can drive give it a go and no difference. I'm not saying all HC are turds but if you want to run a decent time at the track will have to be a A8...

paluka21

Established Member
I'm guessing both autos. The A8 isn't no joke. Turning a decent time in a M6 is another story. There was another M6 out at the track identical mods to mine running same mph. Also had 2 other guys that I know can drive give it a go and no difference. I'm not saying all HC are turds but if you want to run a decent time at the track will have to be a A8...

You're correct, they were both A8 cars. It definitely takes a lot more practice and technique to get a manual cars times down compared to an auto. A lot of the technique comes down to the first 60' of the track with getting a smooth launch and transition from standstill into power.

Users who are viewing this thread