New Cross Axis Joint Kit!!!

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Guys, anyone track their car much and find the cross axis joints worn out, or have yours just worn out with normal use??

Well, I have been working on a cross axis joint kit that is similar to the one MM sells at $400+ for only $275 in parts. You will have to use your existing cross axis retainer sleeves and modify them (I have complete instructions) or you could send them to me an I will be happy to do the modification / install for you.

I find myself recently retired and very board lately, so I figured I would find something to make and keep me buisy. I would like to get 10 people on the first kit to keep the cost down. I am not making any money on this kit, I'm only using the boards to get people to pool their money to buy the components in bulk and save money. For example, 10 kits would need 40 spherical bearings, 320 stainless steel spacers, 320 snap rings and it add up quickly for quality made in the USA parts, and that is not including a retainer sleeve as you must reuse you stocker and modifiy it (hope to have a seperate retainer sleeve on the second run, but can't make that happen yet).

Take a look at the protoype and let me know what you think, the kit is 1-2 week out.

Picture014.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Last edited:

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
Mine should last me through the season. They don't have any noticeable play YET, but the boots are torn on the pass. side on my car and it will make a good winter project.

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Well as promised.

First remove the dust covers.

Picture033.jpg

Then you need to remove the top of the extension for the ball joint.

Picture040.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Then grind down the upper and lower crimps, to remove the ball joint and nylon spacer.

Picture043.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Pop out the spacer.

Picture046.jpg

This is what you should have, note the ball joint sleeve is not a striaght bore, and is curved to hold the nylon spacer, this will have to be bored out.

Picture048.jpg

This is what you should have prior to boring.

Picture052.jpg

And this after boring. The boring is a 2 step process, you must first bore the entire way through, and then ream. Then you must bore a larger size and ream, but this one is not all the way though, it makes a step for the bearing to sit on. Note that this one has not had the second boring process yet.

Picture056.jpg

Here it is back from powder coating, it has the step for the bearing to sit and also an internal snap ring groove.

Picture067.jpg

Here is how you make the snap ring groove, you can also see the internal step for the beaing to sit on a little better.

Picture065.jpg

You can see it fits well.

Picture073.jpg

Picture074-1.jpg

And here is the final product. Let me know what you think!! The components are $275 becasue I bought in bulk. You will need to modify the stock retaining sleeves as shown above, or send them to me and I will do it for you but you must let me know PM me for details on having me do your maching.

Picture076.jpg

Or you can do the machining yourself, here are the demensions. The final demesions are: the first bore that goes all the way throughthe retainer sleeve 1.25", the second bore that goes from the top of the retainer sleeve to 0.70" down is 1.375", the snap ring grove is 0.94" from the top and is 0.044-0.046" wide, the bearing is 0.375" wide x 1.20" long with and ID of 5/8", the spacers are ID bore 1/2" and OD 5/8" x 7.52" long with a top to sholder lenght of 0.377". Good luck on your build!! If you need me to do the machine work let me know, I can help!!

Last edited:

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Jorge G, I have already purchased enough components to make 10 kits, 5 of them are spoken for, and you are welcome to have 2 kits if you like. Remember that you must use your stock cross axis joint retaining sleeves, I currently do not have any extras, and for 2 kits you would need 8 retaining sleeves. If you would like me to do the machining of your stock cross axis joints as well, I can do it for $25 for 4 or $50 for all 8, but you would need to send me the stock cross axis joints. Let me know what you would like to do.

P.S. for the second run I plan on having a machined retaining sleeve so that the stock ones are not needed, but I haven't begun that build up yet, and won't for a little while, and the price will be slightly higher.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread