New Coils and Wire Set

fullofvenom

Established Member
I had a suspicion that my coils and wires weren't working properly. It would take a few cranks to get started, for one, and it had a slight bog/miss around 3500 rpms. So, I cleaned the IMRCs a few months ago thinking the miss was from them not opening correctly, still there. Put in new plugs (also changed the valve cover gasket and spark plgu seals (one hole had oil in it)), still there. The only thing I could think of was the spark. Sure enough. I replaced the coils with two new ones from Ford and got a 9MM wire set (blue) and its purring like an f'ing lion now. Pulls REEEAL strong right through the rpms in all gears. I'm seriously stoked about the revived power. Only down side is the length and thickness of the 9MM set. Doesn't look too bad, but it was much, much neater under the hood when I had the covers on the plugs.

allgo90

Established Member
i have the same problem you are stating. i had oil on the spark plug on #6, but still had good compression and it wasnt burning any oil. i replaced the plugs and wires with the 9mm, but still have it. where did you get the seals?

fullofvenom

Established Member
the spark plug seals came with the new valve cover gasket (along with the rubber grommets for the valve cover bolts). not sure if they sell them separately.

do you still get oil in the #6 plug hole? can't imagine you don't if you haven't replaced the seal.

i should have done the wires first, then the coil packs. i'll never know for sure which replacement really cured the problem since I did them in one shot, but it was most certainly one of two causing miss/start problem.

xxxcobra

Factory Freak
Established Member
98CobraStuntn said:
Hey i think im haveing the same problem with my msd coils and wires. how much were you coils and wires?

Alot of people have had problems with MSD coil an wires. I would go back to stock coils an ford racing 9mm wires.
You could PM FORDSVTPARTS he sells ford parts 10% overcost an I believe he sells ford racing parts now to.

allgo90

Established Member
i ordered the sparkplug seals and the valve cover gaskets from ford. ill install them this week and hope it fixes it.

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
i ordered my spark plug gaskets from sean hyland and they were OEM. when you replace them it will help everything including tghe miss.

I really think this is a good opportunity to let everyone know that they should stay away from any brands other than performance distributors, which make screamin demons and lives wires, and stock ford parts. everything else will fail on you after a short period of time. MSD and accel have not proved themselves as good alternatives to OEM ford parts.

Users who are viewing this thread