New Cobra!!

ericsnow25

Established Member
I picked up an Black 99 Cobra with 93k miles on Thursday. The car is almost completely stock with the exception of an fabbed up filter that is in fender. I just got her all shined up today and it looks pretty damn good for an 11 year old car.

Anyways, I've had the Cobra for four days and since I got it, the engine would make a very very faint ringing/buzzing sound when I didn't have the clutch pushed in sitting in neutral in the garage (maybe at stoplights too, but with the speakers on at all you couldn't hear it). I didn't think to much of it. I was coming home from walmart today to change my oil and a couple miles from home I pushed the clutch in to downshift and I started to hear a sqealing noise coming from the clutch area and every time hit the clutch it seemed to get worse. It started to where it was only when I hit the clutch but once I had it all the way in it would make noise. Closer to home it was when the clutch was in at all regardless of if it was slightly pushed or just being held for a while. But the noise is worse when I hit the clutch, when just holding it down it makes a squeal but not as loud. Any help appreciated!!

After doing some research, I think I need to have my Throw Out Bearing replaced. Most guys online have said when they replace their TOB just to use the stock OEM one and not an aftermarket unit. You guys agree?

ericsnow25

Established Member
Oh yeah I joined back in 2009 because I was on here trying to get ahold of a stock 03/04 Heat Exchanger for my Eaton M62 Supercharger setup on my 05 Cavalier, lol.

sdg97232

Established Member
yeah......sounds like the t.o.b. to me, when you replace it i would only use a ford oem t.o.b. i would replace the pilot bearing and the clucth cable with new oem parts as well. good luck with your cobra and get some pics posted up!!!!!!!!!!:beer:

ericsnow25

Established Member
Ok, I plan on taking it in first thing in the morning. My only concern is if I get a call at work with them saying "yeah, we need to replace your TOB and your clutch isn't going to last a whole lot longer either. We can replace that too for an additional $3-400." If thats the case then I'd like to order my own aftermarket clutch online but don't want to have them drop down the transmission twice and pay double labor.....Oh what to do??

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Well, that's the great thing about stuff breaking...it's always a great opportunity to make things better. In general, if I can foresee an issue coming up and I have an opportunity to take care of it I will, clutch being a prime example.

In my case, it's the rearend. Rather getting under the car multiple times and tearing into the differential and rear suspension and stuff, you're better off to just do it once and forget about it, especially if most likely you'll want to do it in the future.

If your finances are in order, you have to consider that in the long run you'll be saving money and that you'd be spending it anyways so it all comes out in the end. If in fact your clutch is in great shape, then I wouldn't recommend it I guess if it's a stock car, but since mine has a bit more oomph, when the clutch goes out I'll be upgrading. So I guess my vote would be, if you can afford it and not have to worry at all, replacing the clutch would be a good idea in my opinion to save all the extra labor in the long run. Plus it's a good opportunity to upgrade, especially if you have special plans for the car. The biggest issue then is figuring out the right clutch for what you're planning, but yet having something that's driveable and not so overkill you'll cause problems because it's TOO high performance of a clutch.

ericsnow25

Established Member
Also I have the stock 245/45/17 Tires all around and at 60mph in fifth gear I'm at almost exactly 2000rpm. Do I have the stock 3.27 gears??

ericsnow25

Established Member
Yep I was on my way home with the mobil 1 and the screeching started! Shop says they can do an aftermarket stock replacement clutch kit (Exedy). But I told them to get a Ford OEM TOB and he said ok. So I'll have an Exedy TOB brand new because they'll use the Ford TOB.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Also I have the stock 245/45/17 Tires all around and at 60mph in fifth gear I'm at almost exactly 2000rpm. Do I have the stock 3.27 gears??

That seems a bit high to me? Hopefully someone here on the forums has the stock gears and can tell you.

Isn't there online calculators for that if you know your transmission ratios, tire size and stuff????

Last edited:

GTOBobby

Established Member

Yeah, that sounds about right. Mine still has the stock gears( until Friday :banana: ) and that's what rpm I'm at at 60mph.

ericsnow25

Established Member
It is an Rhinopac Clutch kit made by AMS. Model number 07-024. After doing some research it looks like that kit is for the 01, and 03-04 Cobra for the 3650. I have the stock T45 in my 99.

slowbra99

Established Member
Im at 2000 rpms at 70 with stock gears. you most definitely have 3.73 gears in her.

Users who are viewing this thread