New Cobra - Weird Issue - Need Advice

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Ok, so just purchased a 2003 Cobra with 17k miles. Truly mint condition inside and out.

Go Fast Mod that I have found so far:
Bassani Cat-Back Exhaust
Bassani Catted X-pipe
MGW Short Shifter
Billetflow 4 piece Pulley (2.93” w/ 100mm Idler)
JLT CAI
AFCO Double Pass Heat Exchanger
Aluminum Supercharger Coolant Tank
Aluminum Radiator Reservoir

Car dyno'd at 448rwhp / 466 rwtq based on the paperwork I have, some years back. Do you see any modifications I should be pairing with this set up to keep the car running as it should?

Issues/Questions:

A) The transmission is notchy and noisy. Is that just the nature of the beast? Read about the anti-venom mod and did adjust the clutch using the stock adjustment procedure.

B) I see blue fuel injectors coming off the rail? Are those stock and if not how would I figure out their flow rate?

C) The real kicker, with the pulley and such I think it should be pushing max boost around 13-14lbs, when I am driving it hard and go WOT in 2nd, when I get near the top of the RPM range and clutch in to shift, the car feels like the brakes get hit. Looses all its power (car is still running), shift into 3rd, clutch out and gas it and go's like no tomorrow. Just keeps flying like a freight train.

From what I have read it could be the spark plugs blowing out? Does that sound related/similar? It only gets me on the 2-3 shift at WOT. Not 1-2 and have not done a 3-4 at WOT to the top of the range yet.

What plugs do you all recommend and what gap? (Seeing a lot of NKG TR6 or Autolites at .028-.032 gaps)

A few day 1 pics. Will do a nice shoot once I wash it this weekend. Need to de-chrome it a little bit too.

IMG_0506.JPGIMG_0502.JPG

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
b, stock injectors are blue.

c, could be a pprv problem, google it. You could delete the pprv or go to a tuner and have them tune around it better.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Depends on what trans you're used to shifting. My wife thought my trans with the MGW was notchy. But she's used to her 06 GT. I think it's fine.

That does sound like the shift hesitation. A good tuner can fix it.

Last edited:

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Depends on what trans you're used to shifting. My wife thought my trans with the MGW was notchy. But she's used to her 06 GT. I think it's fine.

That does sound like the shift hesitation. A good tuner can fix it.

Coming from an 01 cobra with an mgw. So notchy i get but these also seems noisier.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I went from a 3650 to a T-56 and noticed a little more gear noise at idle with my T-56. The T-56 in my 01 had the anti-venom mod and my 04 doesn't have it. Both have/had MGW shifters and my 04 is a little "heavier " to shift. Even with synchromesh.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
That's interesting about the shifter, I went from a 99 cobra which I think has a t45, with a steeda shfiter to an 03 that I put an MGW in and I found the t56 to be smoother and less notchy.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I know my current T-56 isn't perfect. Apparently the previous owner decided one quart of fluid was enough. And I didn't catch it until after third started whining.

A friend of mine has a Tri-ax in his 03 and it is noticeably more noisy and notchy than my MGW.

Last edited:

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Sounds like a fluid flush is probably in my plans for the nearer future on the trans.

Think i will probably try some new plugs as well to have piece of mind and see if it clears up the issue.

Thinking about it some today I might need to let the engine come up to temp more, might be getting on it too much when 'cold'. Thoughta? Might this be a contributing factor to the engine issue?

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
1.T56 is a notchy transmission to shift especially in the upper RPM's, my old Cobra felt like it would lock out of 3rd. I had aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant, nothing really helped the way it shifted may have been clutch related.
2.The blue injectors are stock and are 39lbs
3.Sounds like you may have hit the rev limiter if you are in the upper RPM's and then hit a wall and when shifted it took off, hard to tell diagnosing on the internet.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
I know the 2-3 "hit" you are talking about because mine does it too if I get out of the gas a little before the clutch is in... I am not sure what it is but I can NOT do it by staying in the gas when shifting 2-3

Users who are viewing this thread