New cobra owner, and I have a question

CrispyBacon

Established Member
First off here is my recent purchase(mustang #2)
2C546789-60FD-439E-B067-E48C25BC0E6C-3625-0000049238DC084D_zpscfdfec99.jpg

1F670311-77D1-419A-B03A-4349207857C2-3625-0000049240FD9341_zpsa39bcf2a.jpg

My question is I noticed the car has a vari-time variable timing sprocket. Is this a worthwhile upgrade or is it possibly hurting more than helping? And if its something that would be best off removed, how hard is it to go back to stock?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Nice looking car. Is that the set up that moves the crank sensor and timing wheel to the outside of the timing cover?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

8smitty

Established Member
nice ride...and seems like a killer price...I was looking for a cobra vert for a couple of months and anything with those miles was between 12-15

01yellercobra

Established Member
I never installed one of those timing kits, but if memory serves all you have to do is move the crank sensor back to it's original position and remove the bracket and trigger wheel.

CrispyBacon

Established Member
8smitty
nice ride...and seems like a killer price...I was looking for a cobra vert for a couple of months and anything with those miles was between 12-15

They originally had it for $19,999 when they first got it in November, but they were desperate to move it after it sitting on the lot 7 months

slo984now
I never installed one of those timing kits, but if memory serves all you have to do is move the crank sensor back to it's original position and remove the bracket and trigger wheel.

Yeah I figured it wouldn't be too bad to take off. I'll have to see how she moves after I fix the exhaust leak. I'm thinking its tuned in some way, since the leak is where the pipe meets the manifold and still no check engine light

CrispyBacon

Established Member
It's funny how the car market varies so much. An 01 GT with 80k will go for $8k here. My last few craigslist deals I did I drove out of state and saved thousands. Not sure what the deal is here is omaha but damn cars are expensive compared to Kansas City or Desmoines

RyanApfel

Established Member
I accually think I got really lucky. I was looking out of state and pretty much everywhere when all of a sudden a really cheap one went one craigslist and the guy lived literally 5 mins down the street. It had a couple minor issues but nothing that I couldn't fix myself ( power steering leak, convertible top piston leak) it even had the whole font clip repainted so the paint is near flawless. And on top of that, he had a 2003 cobra 6 speed tranny installed with 30k miles on it. The guy said he just bought a z06 and wanted money quick to built the engine. Who was I to argue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread