new clutch?

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
few things make me think i need a new clutch...

-car sometimes makes me smile because i am pinned back in my seat under
load, but sometimes specially after warming it up it pisses me off because i feel like i am almost driving a honda, and it feels like it is slipping bad at high rpm, and it will sometimes catch even if its warmed up but usually it just winds up

-i notice now when i park on hills, the car will roll back even when it is left in gear, without the ebrake engaged

now do i need a new clutch? yea ok, i know i do but just making sure...
question is, should i get another centerforce dual friction like my other foxbody, or should i try sometimes else? i wanna do this car right, u guys gota help me :)

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I like the centerforce but I had a premature failure due to a throw out bearing.

In my quest of experiementing I am using a Spec 2+ now. If you are going to keep your mods low, then yeah I would say use the centerforce

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
i know what clutch smells like but i do not really smell it burning, the recently got a new rear man seal though, and it felt like it was slipping before i got i done, after i got i back it was pretty much the same but got worse over a few days, i am almost sure its a bad clutch?

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
i just got off the phone with somebody around town who owns a mustang parts store, he said the best route to go for a 87 fox for a clutch upgrade is a ford racing clutch, not spec or cf ??

jspalmer01

Established Member
TorchRedCobra04 said:
i just got off the phone with somebody around town who owns a mustang parts store, he said the best route to go for a 87 fox for a clutch upgrade is a ford racing clutch, not spec or cf ??

FYI...just put in a Ford Racing "King Cobra" clutch and it works great for a stock to mildly modified car. $169. from Summit Racing. Plus a new rear main seal (rtv'd to help eliminate any future leakage), new pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. Works like a charm now.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
FRPP king cobra for a mild modified car is a good choice. The only thing centerforce d/f clutch had over it (and all others) is the pedal effort is freaking awesome. You think you are driving a Honda when using the centerforce d/f

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
u know what, i have a habit of sometimes getting the best no matter what cost, but now to think of it, doing that for my car is not neccessarily better, i think i should just get the ford racing KING COBRA clutch, and its so much cheaper then other brands, and yeh does the job well.

svt2205

Established Member
Curious, I've got an old FMS HD clutch in my 93 and wonder if there is any difference between that and the King Cobra clutch you guys are mentioning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread