New clutch.

Badaz01

Established Member
New clutch slipping on pull out going forward and reverse but is ok when running through the gears. Is this normal on brand new clutch prior to break in period? This happened from the moment I left the garage.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Was the flywheel surface or replaced?

Did you keep your hands clean during installation and solvents/liquid off the friction surfaces?

Did you reset the clutch cable tension?

Badaz01

Established Member
Was the flywheel surface or replaced?

Did you keep your hands clean during installation and solvents/liquid off the friction surfaces?

Did you reset the clutch cable tension?
Shop install. But I do know he re surfaced the flywheel. Doesn’t slip when running through the gears.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Slipping like normal taking off from a traffic light? or slipping after clutch pedal is released (up), and going down the road? Does it shutter or chatter or make other noises when releasing pedal? New clutch? is it just a new clutch plate or both plate and pressure plate and what brand? You will feel a slip more on take off than when normal shifting going down the road. If adjustment is good and new plate and pressure plate are quality pieces, my first guess would be the shop got grease and/or oil on the plate after that I would say bad/low quality parts. Obviously you have to take it back to the shop and have them make it right which you should already have done.

Badaz01

Established Member
It’s only when taking off from a stop has a chatter to it. Feels fine when running through the gears and it’s a McLeod street pro clutch with resurfaced flywheel. Pedal catches at the very top as well. Other than for some chatter when pulling out or backing up it seems ok.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
I have the Spec Stage 2... have similar experience. Normal stuff until you get some miles on it. I still have a bit of chatter when reversing, quite tolerable as it's not a daily driver. You might want to install an adjustable clutch cable with quadrant and firewall adjuster to help get the pedal throw where you like it... should help with the chatter too.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Slipping when taking off is normal. As that's how you drive a clutch. The chatter might be from needing to break in. My RXT chattered until it was broken in. Then it became smooth enough to teach both of my kids to drive a manual with it.

shurur

Established Member
I've had both the McLeod street pro and now the Exedy 500 or 600 (can't remember now), but have never had any slipping.

But to be fair, I think my first mechanic burned the shit out of my McLeod Street pro right off the bat, as I only got 50k out of it.

I have the McLeod AL flywheel, and got it resurfaced by them for the Exedy install.

Badaz01

Established Member
Slipping when taking off is normal. As that's how you drive a clutch. The chatter might be from needing to break in. My RXT chattered until it was broken in. Then it became smooth enough to teach both of my kids to drive a manual with it.
Glad to hear that it seems with the first 100 miles down with lots of up and down shifts and pull outs forward and reverse it’s getting better. Another plus is it is not my daily driver so it’s a big deal enough but not life changing. Hopefully in 500 miles of continued break in it will work out the bugs.

FIREBALL

Established Member
So it turns out it was not slipping like first described in original post but only chatter or shutter-----yes it just needed to be broken in

Users who are viewing this thread