New clutch, won't go into gear

Planeswalker

Established Member
My stock clutch started slipping so I took the car in to the dealership to have it checked out. They wouldn't cover it under warranty(I'm modded and didn't expect them to) so I ordered a Spec clutch.

They got the clutch in last night and I went to pick it up this morning. Right away I noticed the pedal was extremely stiff, I expected it to be way stiffer than stock but not that much. Also it was very difficult and sometimes impossible to get into gear with the clutch pedal all the way down. The dealership said this was completely normal! I drove it for a short while and noticed that with the clutch all the way down and at a stop the car still wanted to move forward, like it wasn't disengaged all the way. To get into gear I had to let the clutch pedal come up about an inch. It goes into gear just fine if the car is turned off.

I immediately stopped driving and got the car to a local import shop and they are going to get to it tomorrow. I know that dealership did a total crap job, they didn't even install the braided clutch line I gave them. They just kept it and didn't even tell me, I only found out because I looked for it.

Anybody have any idea what the problem is?

Van@RevanRacing

Couple of items to look for.

They could have installed the twin discs backwards.
They could have not properly bled the clutch system and there is air in the clutch hydraulics.

Try bleeding the clutch first.

I've also seen dealers not completely tighten the flywheels bolts.

I have a SPEC SS trim in my car. It was a little heavy at first and now it feels light and normal.

Hope you get it figured out quickly.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
If your dealer did you like that wiith the clutch line, they probably did not change out the slave cylinder, and it might be damage. When going to the new clutch, and also depending on who and which one you get, you have to change the slave cylinder.

For example, I went to a new Mcleod RXT. I have a 11, but I had to use a slave from a 09. This was because of the clutch and flywheel design. I am not sure about spec, but this could be your issue. You would think the dealer or shop would know these little factoids, but more often then not, they have no clue.

It could be other things as well. A friend had a clutch done and it was put in backwards...maybe lines have air ? Need to get it to a shop and see whats what.
Ahh I see VAn in here.

Hope your issue gets fixed. Would be interested in hearing the final resolution.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

If your dealer did you like that wiith the clutch line, they probably did not change out the slave cylinder, and it might be damage. When going to the new clutch, and also depending on who and which one you get, you have to change the slave cylinder.

For example, I went to a new Mcleod RXT. I have a 11, but I had to use a slave from a 09. This was because of the clutch and flywheel design. I am not sure about spec, but this could be your issue. You would think the dealer or shop would know these little factoids, but more often then not, they have no clue.

It could be other things as well. A friend had a clutch done and it was put in backwards...maybe lines have air ? Need to get it to a shop and see whats what.
Ahh I see VAn in here.

Hope your issue gets fixed. Would be interested in hearing the final resolution.

Definitely agree NINJAK. It's always good to replace the hydraulic slave and pilot bearing regardless of age when installing a new clutch.

If the correct part is ordered from SPEC they have different clutch designs for different years of the GT500 so you don't have to go to a different year hydraulic slave and they mate up correctly.

I had one instance where this happened and the installer couldn't use the provided hydraulic slave because the clutch was for a 2011 GT500. Instead of replacing the clutch we went up to a 2011 hydraulic slave as the clutch was going on a 2008 GT500 and everything worked flawlessly.

Myfast70

Established Member
I know this may not apply here but the trans is basically the same so it may. I had installed a Spec on my '01 F Body years ago and Spec used to supply a spacer that needed to be installed behind the slave cylinder. If it wasn't installed it would cause release and clutch issues. Like I said, it may not be needed on the Shelby just a thought. Once you get the spec figured out you will love it!!

blksn8k

Established Member
Did it get worse the longer you drove it? If so, my guess is that the system just needs to be bled. It might take several times to get all the air out. Some systems are worse than others.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
I'm sure it will get figured out. I have the SPEC P trim. The first 500 miles were a little rough with break in, but now at about 1000 miles, I'm very happy with it. Outside of a slight shudder in reverse and starting off from a stop in first it shifts better than stock. Sorry to hear your having issues. It will get figured out.

Planeswalker

Established Member
OK got an update. Got a call from the owner of RIP tuning(import shop I took it to) and he said that they didn't install the shim(good call Myfast70). He called the Ford dealership and talked to the technician who did the install and he said he had the shim setting at the dealership.....RIP said there is NO way I should have to pay and they would help me out any way they could.

So, I call up the dealership and talk to the service manager(actually my wife did, I was WAY to mad lol), he said that they did the install correctly and that's what I get for getting a racing clutch! RIP said that they would handle it, they called him up and explained that they had already talked to the tech and he admitted that he left the shim out and didn't tell anybody. The dealership called us back and apologized and had somebody drive the shim to RIP, and said they would pay for the re-install.

RIP will be finishing up a 1000+AWHP GT-R today and then bumping my car up to the front, so I will have it back early next week.

5Eight0shelby

SVT poster
Established Member
Awesome to hear that it got resolved! I didn't know that the dealer did the install for you. My bad on the comment about RIP. Glad they stepped in and handle it for you! :thumbsup: BTW which dealer do you speak off? I know of a dealer in OKC thats really shady on there work and business.

Planeswalker

Established Member
Awesome to hear that it got resolved! I didn't know that the dealer did the install for you. My bad on the comment about RIP. Glad they stepped in and handle it for you! :thumbsup: BTW which dealer do you speak off? I know of a dealer in OKC thats really shady on there work and business.

It was Patriot Ford in Purcell. I took it down there because they said they could do it no problem and had a guy that has 30+ years experience building race cars on his free time. And yes, the "experienced" guy did all the work.

I think all of the dealers in OKC are extremely shady and will never buy a car from around here again. Except their paint and body shops, they do really good work.

5Eight0shelby

SVT poster
Established Member
It was Patriot Ford in Purcell. I took it down there because they said they could do it no problem and had a guy that has 30+ years experience building race cars on his free time. And yes, the "experienced" guy did all the work.

I think all of the dealers in OKC are extremely shady and will never buy a car from around here again. Except their paint and body shops, they do really good work.

I was thinking of David Stanley Ford on May and I-44. they got a mouth full from me few yrs back plus called them in to CS. ( im sure that didn't do much ) Anyway hope it all turns out ok for you bud.

Planeswalker

Established Member
I was thinking of David Stanley Ford on May and I-44. they got a mouth full from me few yrs back plus called them in to CS. ( im sure that didn't do much ) Anyway hope it all turns out ok for you bud.

It is now Randall Reed Ford and I have dealt with them, the name change didn't help with service LOL! They tried to charge a $30,000 ADM on a Roush...

TORQJNKY

Ninjak, I bought a Mcleod 2010-2013 GT500 Sprung Hub RXT StreetTwin Disc Clutch Kit from Lethal that will be getting installed in a week or two. Do you know if this clutch requires the earlier 07-09 slave cylinder? Lethal's website says,

NOTE: This clutch assembly works with the stock slave cylinder on all 2010-2011 GT500s.

It would be nice to know so I have all the parts I need before I take it in to my mechanic have done. Thanks.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Ninjak, I bought a Mcleod 2010-2013 GT500 Sprung Hub RXT StreetTwin Disc Clutch Kit from Lethal that will be getting installed in a week or two. Do you know if this clutch requires the earlier 07-09 slave cylinder? Lethal's website says,

NOTE: This clutch assembly works with the stock slave cylinder on all 2010-2011 GT500s.

It would be nice to know so I have all the parts I need before I take it in to my mechanic have done. Thanks.

If you have a 2010-2013 gt500 and purchased the RXT part number 6975-07M then you use the stock slave cylinder. If you ordered part number 6918-07 and are using it on a 2010+ gt500 then you'll need a 07-09 slave.

Hope that helps.

Jared

93 347 Cobra

Established Member

What about Jerry at Reynolds down in Norman? He's a great tech, he was there years ago, don't know if he still is...

Users who are viewing this thread