New clutch/shifter installed

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
I finally had time to go pick up my car today!

Installed items:

1. Mcleod RXT
2. MGW (set @ 5)
3. Amsoil tranny fluid
4. Amsoil diff fluid
5. new spark plugs

Obviously I haven't got on it yet BUT I drove 10 or so miles tonight. Some thoughts:

Clutch: light pedal action, high release, no hiss whatsoever. Feels good and more "normal" ie I am not reving the engine so much from a standstill. However, I am getting some noise in 1st and 2nd @ 2-3K RPMs...sounds a bit gravel like (not a chatter sound as far as I can tell)...I'll be patient and see how it settles in.

MGW: shifter is awesome, 5 might be a bit short, I'll give it some time...otherwise it is great. A tad noisier of course, but as expected.

Amsoil products: I wish I could tell, but I am not that discerning so I will trust the rest of you haha

Plugs: old ones were fine, just two years old so I had some new ones installed...

DaFreak

Established Member
I finally had time to go pick up my car today!

Installed items:

1. Mcleod RXT
2. MGW (set @ 5)
3. Amsoil tranny fluid
4. Amsoil diff fluid
5. new spark plugs

Obviously I haven't got on it yet BUT I drove 10 or so miles tonight. Some thoughts:

Clutch: light pedal action, high release, no hiss whatsoever. Feels good and more "normal" ie I am not reving the engine so much from a standstill. However, I am getting some noise in 1st and 2nd @ 2-3K RPMs...sounds a bit gravel like (not a chatter sound as far as I can tell)...I'll be patient and see how it settles in.

MGW: shifter is awesome, 5 might be a bit short, I'll give it some time...otherwise it is great. A tad noisier of course, but as expected.

Amsoil products: I wish I could tell, but I am not that discerning so I will trust the rest of you haha

Plugs: old ones were fine, just two years old so I had some new ones installed...

Nice upgrades! I've had the MGW shifter on for a couple of weeks now it's definitely "loosened" up. I'm running the 4 setting and it feels good.

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
I have these items om my car also and I wouldn't go with anything else. If you Drag Race, install ya a Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter. You won't be sorry.

Blackmax

Established Member
Mine is and was completely quiet fom the first time I drove it. That is a red flag and I would take the car back a.s.a.p.

Last edited:

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
I drove the car again, and I am not actually sure it is the transmission...sounds like it is behind the dash or some new sound being transmitted with the MGW.

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Do you have the Gravel/rattle that I do?

The NVH from the shifter is all that I've noticed from that area. I installed them at two different times and the clutch has been quiet since. Earlier this year, I installed a new motor on some Delrin Motor mounts I made, so I feel every hit of a piston now lol.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I had mine for about 1000 miles and doing the breakin it slowly went away and I only get it every great now and then at the up rpms I'll get it.
But follow McLeod's break in is what I was told. And it was hard, but I did, even though it was hard, and it's been fine.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

With the superior clutch and shifter swap, I don't find it hard to believe you can't detect the difference a fluid can make. You are in sensory overloads of joy of a lighter clutch pedal and shorter/improved shifts. :thumbsup:

No detectable difference from the driver when changing the diff. fluid. The only change I have ever been able to detect was when a fluid didn't have adequate levels of friction modifier. The clutch packs in the factory diff. were noisy until FM was added. Other than that, nothing to detect.

Enjoy your new setup, I'm envious. :beer:

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
Drove the car around a bunch today city streets and the highway. I think the rattle I am getting is from the tranny tunnel and something to do with shifter noise transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread