New Clutch Pedal Height Bracket Installed

Charles236

Established Member
I installed a bracket made by Steeda to allow the height of the clutch pedal to be lowered. I also installed at the same time a new double hook quadrant and firewall clutch adjuster, but I retained the stock cable. Wow! Its like driving a different car now, clutch action is totally consistent, engages closer to the floor and eliminates a lot of unneeded clutch pedal travel. After setting the pedal height to be even with the brake pedal, and getting the clutch adjusted to my liking, I had to learn to drive my Mach all over again. If anyone is looking for a simple and low cost mod that gives improvements all out of proportion to cost, this is worth looking into. I don't have the camera or computer skills to post pictures, but it doesn't look any different from any other clutch quadrant and adjuster installation until you notice something odd about the clutch pedal.

Charles236

Established Member
No problems with durability, but one unexpected complication. The way this bracket lowers the pedal affects the cruise control switch that disengages the cruise when the pedal is depressed. A tie wire around the switch will allow the cruise to work, but if the clutch pedal is depressed with the cruise on, the engine will rev to the limiter. A better deal is the Maximum Motorsports clutch pedal height adjustment bracket, it has no downsides that I can see. I would have used it if I had known about it.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have the MM unit, installs and works great. Did it over the Steeda for that reason, and the MM piece allows you to retain a better quadrant ramp feel from start to finish, instead of starting with it progressed.

GrimlokTT

Established Member
I had a heck of a time adjusting my set-up. (Pedal height adjuster, f/w adjuster and quadrant) Seems that I need the pedal all the way away from the fire wall once the pedal height adjuster was installer (which still moves it closer to the firewall than stock). This allows the proper clutch cable tension and full engagement/disengagement...WITH THE QUICK RELEASE QUADRANT.

Unless you use an aftermarket clutch with less pedal travel for engagment/disengagement, I don't really think there is a lot of flexibility in the pedal position when still maintaining proper positioning of components. i.e. The right amount of tension on the clutch release lever and enough movement to fully disengage the clutch... Copy?

Last edited:

Charles236

Established Member
Grimlok, I haven't had any problems with shortening the clutch pedal travel, but it could be the difference between two different cars (production tolerances stacking up differently). The difference in pedal travel to engage/disengage a clutch does vary with different clutch types, back in the old days one of my "tricks" on my Mopars was to use a GM style diaphram pressure plate instead of the Mopar Borg & Beck. The lever ratio was different (4/1 on the diaphram vs. 6/1 on the Borg & Beck), resulting in a faster release with less pedal travel. Since less travel was needed, shortening the pedal travel with a pedal stop was a beneficial mod.

GrimlokTT

Established Member
Mach1chuck said:
The difference in pedal travel to engage/disengage a clutch does vary with different clutch types, back in the old days one of my "tricks" on my Mopars was to use a GM style diaphram pressure plate instead of the Mopar Borg & Beck. The lever ratio was different (4/1 on the diaphram vs. 6/1 on the Borg & Beck), resulting in a faster release with less pedal travel. Since less travel was needed, shortening the pedal travel with a pedal stop was a beneficial mod.

I don't believe this is so. I know at a minimum Spec's clutch reduces travel as they've altered the fulcrum point of the clutch spring.

Users who are viewing this thread