New clutch and having problems

cajuncreeper

Established Member
I recently installed a new DFX, pressure plate, clutch cable, adjustable quadrant, and micro click firewall adjuster. I have less than 100 miles on the assembly and was driving easy for the break in period on the clutch. While driving I shifted from 2nd to 3rd and heard a pop, I tried to speed up and I only heard the engine rev. I pulled over and pushed the clutch pedal in and it felt normal. With the car running and the clutch pedal out I can shift into any gear with no problem at all. I pulled the inspection cover off and wathched the clutch fork push the TOB in and engauge against the pressure plate. I need suggestions as to what you think the problem is, thanks in advance.
Brandon

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Three possibilities:

Broken input shaft (most likely)

Broken disk (not as likely)

Broken pressure plate (most unlikely)

All will require the trans to be dropped.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Mine makes a grinding sound and gets louder with the rpms. Then all of a sudden it will stop completely then come back a day or too later. tob retainer sleeve?

cajuncreeper

Established Member
Update

I pulled the transmission today and it was the output shaft. I cant believe this broke instead of the input shaft or the stock halfshafts. Man this sucks, my buddy is the service manager at the local Ford dealership and he said he has never seen this.:shrug:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Thanks for the update.
I forgot about that one, it is so unusual. I have only seen them break twice and have read about a few others on some of the forums. It is very unusual for that piece to break.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
You broke the output shaft? I have a feeling you were driving a bit harder than "taking it easy".

They going to fix it, or you replacing the whole thing?

cajuncreeper

Established Member
I ordered the shaft from Steve at Trousley ford, the transmission is torn down now just waiting on the shaft to arrive. As far as driving it easy I was, my trans guy seems to think it was a defect in the metal while casting. A month ago I made 4 passes at tht track with DR's, I figured it should have let go then.

Users who are viewing this thread