New car woes

shub

Weirdo
Established Member
I've had my '03 for about 2 weeks now, and I'm starting to wonder about how the previous owner may have used/abused it. I bought it with 1380 miles on it and the carfax report came up clean, so I figured it to be a bargain at 30k. After I got it home, I noticed that it had yokohamas all around, hinting that the last guy had some serious fun smoking out his neighborhood... All during the break-in period. :burnout:

There is a slight rattle from the tranny during slow acceleration below 1750 right before the shift light comes on, is this normal?? My '89 does that, but the tranny is also 15 years old. I could not imagine how any kind of hard driving (on stock tires) could could do any damage to this T-56.

I sometimes get a bit of hesitation if I try to accelerate from a coast, very annoying behavior.. It leads me to believe it may be running lean (although I haven't noticed any detonation).

There is some blue writing (the kind you see on junkyard parts) on the idler. Could that have been a replacement??

And just to top it off my brakes are squeaking!!! :shrug:

Should I be worried? Are these problems common?

I really want to start with some mods, but I fear I may be looking at some warranty repairs later on.

Any input is appreciated...

-Shub

shub

Weirdo
Established Member
My biggest concern is the rattle and hesitation... When you guys start out in first slowly, like at 1000 rpm, do you hear anything weird, or is it just smooth??

Around here new '03s were going for around 35-36k, and bluebook was 32k for the mileage on mine... I don't think it's too bad.

-Shub

tigerwoods

Established Member
remind me to come out there and sell mine when the time comes.

the guy before probably drove it hard, but you shoulnd be worried it will take it. look at the passanger side kcik panel and see if it has been tampered with. it it has then the car was at least chipped a probably pullied. the new tires dont mean anything except that the stock tires are not that great for racing. look in the fender wells and see if there is any build up. a few things you should learn about 03 cobras:

1. lots of clunks, bangs, and pops from every where

2. lots of rattles from every where

3 it is still a mustang so the have the built in brake squeak mod

4. get a upr or steeda firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant.

5. get a triax or 5.0 shifter

6. read everything and learn from the guys on this board. if it can be tried with these cars someone here has tried it or invented it.

the cars run ultra rich from the factory and are hard to hurt. most cars that have let go have been due to too much nitrous and bad tunes. only a few stock cars have let go and those were flukes. enjoy the new ride.

shub

Weirdo
Established Member
OMFG!!! On the way to work today the "service engine soon" lamp came on!!!

I tell ya, I'm going to squeeze everything I can out of this warranty. I expect a near brand new car to behave much better than this.

Damn I can't seem to find the "LEMON" smiley.

:fm:

That will work for now.......

-Shub

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Your problems could be your clutch. If that is going, you would get the hesitation and chattering when starting out. Bring it in to the dealer with all your concerns and see what they find. Enjoy your car! It is a Terminator. :beer:

stangin

Established Member
I would run by Autozone and have them pull the trouble light code so you at least know why.. they will do it for free. I agree, lots of rattles and noises, Camaro's and Mustangs are known for this.

Yep, lots of reading.. lots of interesting posts on this boards and over on modularfords.com - I spent months just reading lol, when I got my Cobra.

akaeric

Established Member
You have to be a little heavey on the rpm's while releasing the clutch my 2003 you had to give it some gas to get it to take off.My 2004 isn't as bad but its not like a regular car you have to be alttle heavier on the gas with the clutch I think the rpms at idle is set to low but it doesen't like a soft foot and show whos in control so you might spin a tire learnng. My 2003 liked it better when took off with the wheels just breaking loose. I was thinking the opposite that you might have a Tri-ax or a shifter like that thats knows to be on the noisey side and if there wasn't any rubber insulating the shifter it could be hearing the noise running up the shifter. Do you have stock Cobra wheels I'm just thinking he might have or had after market wheels & tires or just tires are all four the same size. Or he might have burn them up its not hard to do with these cars I like to do it for the fun of it. Man my car rattled brand knew right off the lot a little rattle here and there and my front brakes went to squeeking I just hit them with some W-40 and the quiting right down. As someone said use the warrenty.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10th
Which is actually a great deal and i got the vert for $3500 below invoices .... both were 10th Ann's
so how much did it cost to cut your roof off and paint it red?

Users who are viewing this thread