New Car - Questions about the fuel pump...

Tlayson23

Established Member
Hey guys, a couple months ago i bought a 03 mach 1 with a 03/04 cobra motor and eaton which has right around 1,000 miles on it. After doing some research i'm starting to worry about whether the fuel pump (single Ford GT Supercar pump) is strong enough for my setup; and it doesnt make me feel much better knowing that the previous owner didn't know anything about the car, other than how much he payed to have someone else do all the work.

As far as aftermarket parts, it has kooks lt's, upr o/r x pipe, flowmasters, and a SCT chip. When it was dyno-tuned he says it was right around 400rwhp but he doesnt remember the exact numbers.

My question is, does anyone know how much hp the GT pump can handle? Any signs i should look for that the car isnt getting enough fuel? and if i do have to go with a dual fuel pump what is the best route to go?

I really appreciate anyones help, i'm not new to mustangs but i am new to heavily modifying them..

crazycarlo

Established Member
take it to have it dyno tuned. They will be able to tell you if its getting the propper fuel. My 98 cobra with a single aviator pump makes 433 to the wheels and its doing great. Id say as long as your not running lean anywhere and your not maxing ur injectors out then youll prob be good for now.

riocobra97

SVT is Life
Established Member
I was running one BBK 255 in my procharged 97. I made 508.2 at 5800 rpm before my pump couldnt push enough fuel anymore. You should be good on your current setup but I would recommend getting a wideband just to be sure. If your not at the limit of one pump yet, you will be with a few more mods. 450-500 seems to be pushing it one a one pump setup.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That sounds like a really conservative tune for those numbers. I agree with Carlo about taking it to a tuner. Or at least datalog it and see what your fuel pump duty cycle is. I'm willing to bet your pump is maxed out already.

Tlayson23

Established Member
alright thanks guys... hopefully i'll be taking it to get the a/f ratio checked out very soon. If I am maxing out this fuel pump is there any way to run a safe tune until i can afford to go with a dual fuel pump? I have the money if it's necessary but i'd rather not spend it at the moment; i run a small lawn and landscaping company therefore winter months = no income

Users who are viewing this thread