New car+issues already

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Hey guys,

Not new to the site, but recently crossed over from SN95 to the dark side-IRS Cobras. I'm very pleased with the buy, and I love it, but there's some concerning noise.

It's intermittent; I bought it a week ago, drove it 3 hours Sunday with no issue, drove around Monday afternoon no issues, then after a car wash there seemed to be a rattling sound, like rocks in a tin can, from the driver's side valve cover. Didn't notice any loss of power. Got up the next morning for work, and the sound is gone. It stayed that way until today, when I drove it to get a haircut and had no issues, then it appeared when I fired up again.

Car doesn't seem beat on, I bought it from an older gentleman that says he bought it from a guy in CHP. It's stock power train wise, and he's got receipts for the clutch replacement, CA inspection, and oil changes.

Any ideas? Is it maybe the issue the head cooling mod will fix? I really don't have much money right now to put into head/valve work, so I'm hoping it's simple.

Thanks!
Mike
9a8ebf2770df5c483074041a34cc8339.jpg
d7b713e5fd1f446069547524496ad482.jpg
31933a21d97cb6fcd910c53f3fa1e46e.jpg

Geno-04

Established Member
Had a similar issue once....when the car warmed up it would make noise that sounded like rocks in a tin can....everybody thought it was the trans. Even a guy that owned a transmission shop. The mouse started after a clutch install on jack stands. I know it couldn't be the trans cause all it did was change the clutch and related parts. So I pulled the trans again and it turned out to be a crushed pilot bearing. Somehow the input shaft crushed/broke the bearing and when I pulled the trans down the bearing fell out in peices. Might not help but worth a shot since it was a similar sound.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You'll have to take a stethoscope and see if you can find the area it's coming from. I had a primary tensioner that liked to make noise once in a while. I replaced it and the noise went away.

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Update: it was parked for about 15 hours, and when I started it this morning it did the same sound on the initial turnover, then went away. I'm kinda leaning towards something with the temp because it only does it while it's real warm outside and running.

Users who are viewing this thread