New Camera (D40) = Lots of Mustang Pics

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Well I just got my Nikon D40 on Friday and I have been real busy. Ive probably taken four or five hundred pics. Here are some of my best. some were taken with a tripod. My brothers trans am and my GT are pictured. Enjoy. Comments welcome.

These were taken at the local Zoo as you probably can tell.

D40-016.jpg

D40-006.jpg

D40-019.jpg

D40-043.jpg

D40-045.jpg

Other pics later on

D40-058.jpg

D40-095.jpg

D40-105.jpg

D40-110.jpg

D40-113.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

Here are my brothers trans am and my GT going under the photoshop knife

Transparenttransam.jpg

TransparentGT.jpg

Thank you for your attention.:thumbsup:

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
^^^Cool, thanks.....I took several different exposures of my brothers trans am but when I merged them and played around with the tone mapping I just didnt get the desired effect. I guess a silver car isnt the best for HDR:shrug:

04sn8k

Kenne Bell is my hero
Established Member
Very nice pics and cars. I'm not too far away from ya. Just a few hours away actually.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
^^^Cool, thanks.....I took several different exposures of my brothers trans am but when I merged them and played around with the tone mapping I just didnt get the desired effect. I guess a silver car isnt the best for HDR:shrug:

Thats because it's fake HDR...

venomws6

Established Member
Both cars look great tell your brother to lower his car.

Awesome pics BTW.

Are you using the lens that came with the camera?? I'm thinking about buying one so what do thing about the camera???

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member

You sure? I'm pretty sure thats actually real HDR....

I thought I'd throw up some useful crits.

-Lots of stuff "sprouting" from the cars in the direct background (I'm HORRIBLE about doing that :( )
-Lightning looks to be around mid-day. Try early morning or late afternoon.
-You perspective is either waist level or eye level on every one of those. Try to mix it up a little bit.
-Also try to find some brighter or just different colored things to use as a background. You sort of have grey on grey-white or grey-blue.

If you want really dramatic shots, get some in the failing light, to create some sinister moods. Heres one of mine of a Mach 1 in a cloudy sunset.

Machsunset1.jpg

Some like that style, some don't.

Can't go wrong with a nikon!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member

The one I did was not fake HDR. I didnt post it cause i didnt like the results. I took 5 different exposures with a tripod and merged them.

Both cars look great tell your brother to lower his car.

Awesome pics BTW.

Are you using the lens that came with the camera?? I'm thinking about buying one so what do thing about the camera???

Yes im using the lens that came with the camera (18-55mm). I want to get an additional lens (55-200mm VR).
Ive only had the camera over the weekend but I absolutely love it. Its easy to use and produces excellent pictures.

My brother wants to lower his car but he wants heads and cam first.

You sure? I'm pretty sure thats actually real HDR....

I thought I'd throw up some useful crits.

-Lots of stuff "sprouting" from the cars in the direct background (I'm HORRIBLE about doing that :( )
-Lightning looks to be around mid-day. Try early morning or late afternoon.
-You perspective is either waist level or eye level on every one of those. Try to mix it up a little bit.
-Also try to find some brighter or just different colored things to use as a background. You sort of have grey on grey-white or grey-blue.

Can't go wrong with a nikon!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Thanks for the advice. Ill definetly try some new angles next time. I didnt even realize I was doing that until you said something.

I thought the zoo background was pretty good:shrug:

Only problem about finding different colored things is that everything here in west texas is still dead. I havent gone scouting downtown yet but im sure I can find something to use as a background.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Last edited:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
I thought the zoo background was pretty good:shrug:

Only problem about finding different colored things is that everything here in west texas is still dead. I havent gone scouting downtown yet but im sure I can find something to use as a background.

Thanks for all the compliments.

No I agree on the Zoo, its pretty cool. But thats only like two of your pictures. I've taken quite a few photography classes and if they ever preach anything, its value. Value is the contrast of light and dark. If you have appropriate value and good shapes, you will make great photographs. Keep that in mind while you are doing your composition. I live on the plains too...it sucks :lol: I have a 18-135mm on my D80 and it is extremely versatile. All I want really is a wide-angle, and I'll be set.

Last edited:

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
No I agree on the Zoo, its pretty cool. But thats only like two of your pictures. I've taken quite a few photography classes and if they ever preach anything, its value. Value is the contrast of light and dark. If you have appropriate value and good shapes, you will make great photographs. Keep that in mind while you are doing your composition. I live on the plains too...it sucks :lol: I have a 18-135mm on my D80 and it is extremely versatile. All I want really is a wide-angle, and I'll be set.

Ill try and keep that in mind and I hopefully will develop my photographers eye.

What textbooks did you use? Im thinking of buying some photography books. Any suggestions.

I wish I could have taken some photography classes when I was in college but I dont think they offered any back then.

Haha back then....I was in college less than a year ago.:lol:

Last edited:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Ill try and keep that in mind and I hopefully will develop my photographers eye.

What textbooks did you use? Im thinking of buying some photography books. Any suggestions.

I wish I could have taken some photography classes when I was in college but I dont think they offered any back then.

Haha back then....I was in college less than a year ago.:lol:

:lol: Well my mom is a photo instructor at the college I go to so I've been around it for quite some time now. I have never really used technique books, but I have gone through many books of work, and been to museums with more work. If you ever get a chance to do darkroom photography, I would suggest it. Just take a course at a jr college or something when you have time, its a nice stress reliever. I just love to develop photos while listening to guns n roses for hours. :rockon:

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I was referring to outlaws "HDR" picture. HDR, as most know, requires multiple pictures. His isn't 'true' HDR. It's just a bunch of layering,sharpening, etc...

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
I was referring to outlaws "HDR" picture. HDR, as most know, requires multiple pictures. His isn't 'true' HDR. It's just a bunch of layering,sharpening, etc...

oh ok.....i wasnt entirely sure which pic you were talkin about. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread