New Camera anyone have help on some lenses?

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I bought a Sony A7 IV as I have some events/trips upcoming and have been wanting to jump into this world for a while. I am wanting the best/cost effective lens for car shows and for track days. I do understand that is two different lenses but was hoping someone on here would have some experience in either scenario.

I was torn between the Canon EOS R6 and the Nikon Z6ii and ended up with the Sony due to the lens availability and the fact that I was starting from zero.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
The first question is- What is your budget?

You can really go mild to wild with lenses. I'd suggest the Sigma ART 24-70mm f/2.8. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1516303-REG/sigma_24_70mm_f_2_8_dg_dn.html

I have the Sony 24-70mm G Master but for half the price, you get pretty much the same image quality out of the Sigma. Again, it all depends on your budget. Car show photos look cool with a wide angle under 24mm, but if you're wanting something that will perform all around and don't want to spend $3,000 on the Sony 12-24 AND another $3,000 on the 70-200 GM II for the long shots, just go for the Sigma 24-70 ART.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Yes budget is a huge deal. I just bought the body and it came with a FE 28-70 lens and I dont want to spend a ton more for a while. I dont anticipate that I will love that lens but will probably go with a Sigma 24mm or so. I will look into the Sigma 24-70 ART. Thank you, this is what I was hoping for.

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
for track days, you will want to have some reach since you will be far away. For car shows, you will want wide angle to capture the cars since you will be close.

You mentioned not wanting to spend a ton, so don't get too worked up over aperture size. Most car shows and track events will be during the day time. You will not need a super fast lens since you will have plenty of light. Look for lenses with 4.0 or smaller (larger number), that will keep the cost down. Also, I'd strongly suggest looking at used lenses. KEH camera has been good for me.

I think you are set with 28-70 for car shows. You may find it to not be wide enough, but on a full frame 28mm gets you a decently wide shot. I think you'll figure out how to make it work for you. I worked with a 24-100 for a long time for car shows, but eventually ended up with a 16-35. 24-100 was perfect if there was some room to move back and take a shot, if the car show was super crowded and I had to be close to the car, I used the 16-35.

This was shot at 93mm, and I know it's not the full car, but I like this shot and I was really close to the car.

29514820944_0ba8a00461_6k.jpg

This was at 45mm and I was not more than 6ft away...not a great shot, but giving you an idea that a superwide lens on a full frame is not really needed for what you are looking to do:

39851519430_d70fbf679a_6k.jpg

You are definitely going to want more reach for track days. I use canon, so not familiar with sony lens series but the zoom ranges and aperture usually are similar across brands. For track days, I use a 100-400mm zoom lens.

36951311544_f0222080dc_5k.jpg

30026716352_2b10cab1dc_4k.jpg

WVTrakPak

Established Member

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I bought an R5 last year along with a couple RF lenses. Thankfully, I picked up a Canon adapter that allows me to use some of my older, L lenses too. Otherwise, holy shit are the mirrorless lenses expensive. Either way, you made a great move on a sweet camera body.

z5P1A0085-4K.jpg

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I bought an R5 last year along with a couple RF lenses. Thankfully, I picked up a Canon adapter that allows me to use some of my older, L lenses too. Otherwise, holy shit are the mirrorless lenses expensive. Either way, you made a great move on a sweet camera body.

z5P1A0085-4K.jpg
The decision came down to starting at zero with lenses and the ability to use Sigma.

08mojo

Established Member

z5P1A0085-4K.jpg
I just picked up an R5, it has been a nice upgrade over my 5Diii.

You're not joking on the price of rf glass. I'm glad the ef adapter and lenses work so well with the new body.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I need to use it more for car photography, hopefully when the sun returns to my part of the country I'll have that opportunity.

I have been using it for video and it works well, no overheating issues. I do need to try the settings that will push it to the limit and see how well it performs under relatively cool temps outside.

For portraits the R5 has been superb.

5P1A8242cropd%20copy%20resized-X3.jpg

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I hope to go to a Cruzin Saturday for the anniversary of the Stang. Will post pics with the box 28-70

Users who are viewing this thread