New build need Input

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
After a bad weekend at the track I have to rebuild my bottom end. Not sure to exactly let go yet but will soon. A little bit about car: MMR stroker 950 (6 years old) stage 3 heads, 2.5 blower cams, s-trim 2.87 14lbs, FMIC, blow thru, ported typhoon intake, built 4r 4000 custom stall.

I'm thinking of going back to MMR for their 1000 4.75 stroker with arp everything, so I can spin it a little harder. That's why I don't want a bigger stroke. I'm hoping to reuse my heads but get them freshened up with better springs,I currently have comp beehive. What would be better for 7k rpm possibilities.

What I'm really wanting is a high 9 sec car. I'm looking to either upgrade the vortech to a v-7 or go turbo route with a on3 kit using a 70mm and upgrade their junk pieces. Which will be the more efficient way to go. I know power wise it's easier with the turbo, but want some in put on all this.

I'm putting a front k member anyways and upgrading fuel as soon as I get the motor squared away. I'm pretty much gonna go through the whole car this go around but don't want to spend another 15k on the car.

Sent From a galaxy far far away

Last edited:

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
I'm not sure yet, I think a bearing let go I believe. It's been beat on pretty good. I used to spray it and now running around 15 lbs of boost. I think maybe the oil pump was gave out. I'll find out, I'll start tearing it down this weekend. I just hope my heads are in good shape

coposrv

Established Member
Spinning a 5.0 stroker to 7000 shouldn't be a problem. I would try to salvage as much as I could from the previous motor and rebuild instead of starting over. Im surprised MMR doesn't include arp hardware in their mmr950 engines. Or did I read it wrong?

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
Yeah I had it upgraded to arp, at least it's supposed to be, lol. I've just heard, not experienced that the stroker motors cause of the longer stroke will wear the cylinder walls quicker from the angle in which the rods are at the bottom of the stroke. I may be wrong on this. But I do know schrader performance advertises there standard stroke I think as higher rpm motor and not their stroker.

I'm pretty sure whatever let go tore the hell out of the bottom end. It was knocking and scraping pretty bad and loud and lost total oil pressure by the time I got back to the pits. I prolly should of pushed it back, too late now though. However if I can save the the most of it I will absolutely do that and change my pistons back for a little more cr.

coposrv

Established Member
Yes, A longer stroke will/ may pull the lower skirt out of the bottom of the cylinder and "rock" the piston. A stroker motor needs attention paid to the cross hatch on the cylinder walls to help with oil retention because of this. If you think about it though, a 5.4 based engine is basically a stroker 4.6

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
Yes, A longer stroke will/ may pull the lower skirt out of the bottom of the cylinder and "rock" the piston. A stroker motor needs attention paid to the cross hatch on the cylinder walls to help with oil retention because of this. If you think about it though, a 5.4 based engine is basically a stroker 4.6

But there deck height is taller to achieve that stroke. So it doesn't pull down so far in cylinder.
I'm gonna go with the 4.75 cause I'm not sure where the power will be with a ysi. I know I'm not going above 65-6800 with the turbo, I don't think the need will be there with the power they make down low

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
Ysi guys get in here! I need to know if this will get me the correct power band to get me on the 9's

What kind of boost will I see on a 2.87 and a 10% OD pulley

MOTOWN M

Established Member
Ysi guys get in here! I need to know if this will get me the correct power band to get me on the 9's

What kind of boost will I see on a 2.87 and a 10% OD pulley

Your going to see well over 20+psi with a 2.87 on a 10% od balancer/pulley

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
Okay, that's when the ysi shines correct? So I won't need to buy any pulleys, that's a plus.

Will my ported typhoon intake hurt me? As much as I would like yo go with the eddy and 6061 elbow, I'm kinda partial to it.

Gonna start draining all the fluids and taking it apart tomorrow. Labeling everything and bagging up nuts, bolts, and parts.

I'm debating on the best way to pull this motor. It has long tubes on it. Is it easier to pull it with trans attached?

coposrv

Established Member
Drop it out the bottom. Get your front suspension here and ready to go so you can have a roller with out putting the bulkier stock stuff back in. I usually pull the car off the engine then drop the engine back in the top.

dwtjr3

Established Member
Eddy is a lot better then the typhoon

And you said start upgrading fuel? What fuel system were you running with all those mods?

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
Start as in start upgrading the fuel more. Currently in the car is dual svt focus pumps w/BAP going with dual gt pumps or maybe return but prolly not.

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
Drop it out the bottom. Get your front suspension here and ready to go so you can have a roller with out putting the bulkier stock stuff back in. I usually pull the car off the engine then drop the engine back in the top.

Can I get the car raised enough with the picker to clear the motor? I would prefer it this way I think being I'm upgrading the k member anyways.

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
Eddy is a lot better then the typhoon

And you said start upgrading fuel? What fuel system were you running with all those mods?

It's better than a ported typhoon? If it is and have some proof I would be willing to change.

MOTOWN M

Established Member
Start as in start upgrading the fuel more. Currently in the car is dual svt focus pumps w/BAP going with dual gt pumps or maybe return but prolly not.

For the level of H.P. and performance your after you really need to go with a return style fuel setup.

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
For the level of H.P. and performance your after you really need to go with a return style fuel setup.

Okay, okay, I guess you guys talked me into it. I guess I'll start selling my fuel parts too lol. I've always known it better but I'm kinda hard headed at times. So now I'm selling my head unit and all fuel pumps with hats and maybe my ported typhoon intake. Guess all that can help fund my rebuild of the motor :) then replace all that with old money.

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
I guess if I'm going return I'm thinking of ditching the gas tank. I'll go with a cell in the trunk. Off to look up rules on that unless somebody knows what's needed

coposrv

Established Member
Can I get the car raised enough with the picker to clear the motor? I would prefer it this way I think being I'm upgrading the k member anyways.

Yup. I used an engine hoist to raise the car off the k member with the engine and trans still bolted together and rolled everything out of the side.

Users who are viewing this thread