New Boss 302!!

CanuckCobra

Established Member
Ok it hasn't happened..I am not a big fan of the "retro" thing the look...the borrowing of old names etc...but I would like to see a lightweight,improved suspension,(irs??)5.0 cammer in a new mustang...something for the road racers..

Think Ford will make it?

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
CanuckCobra said:
Ok it hasn't happened..I am not a big fan of the "retro" thing the look...the borrowing of old names etc...but I would like to see a lightweight,improved suspension,(irs??)5.0 cammer in a new mustang...something for the road racers..

Think Ford will make it?

While that would be my dream...can't see it happening. For some reason, Ford can't make the 5.0L emmssions compliant (though it befuddles me that I can go to any aftermarket company and get a 5.0L modular block and make a street legal engine out of it).

That doesn't mean I can't dream though right....

Here's what I'd like. A normally aspirated 5.0L DOHC Modular putting out between 375 to 400 hp, IRS (the Boss 302 is the handling Mustang), lightweight body components (cf or fiberglass hood and rear deck), Recaro sport seats, rear seat delete, Koni and Eibachs all around, Brembos, and Goodyear Eagle F1's on 18' wheels.

Will we ever see it? Who knows. Like I said, if Ford can find a reason not to include IRS in the Cobra, what reason do they have to add it to any other model.

jwfisher

Banned
I think HT is too much of a tight wad... and if the question ever comes up there will be another BS response from him. He takes his potential customers as know-nothing idiots.

CanuckCobra

Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
While that would be my dream...can't see it happening. For some reason, Ford can't make the 5.0L emmssions compliant (though it befuddles me that I can go to any aftermarket company and get a 5.0L modular block and make a street legal engine out of it).

That doesn't mean I can't dream though right....

Here's what I'd like. A normally aspirated 5.0L DOHC Modular putting out between 375 to 400 hp, IRS (the Boss 302 is the handling Mustang), lightweight body components (cf or fiberglass hood and rear deck), Recaro sport seats, rear seat delete, Koni and Eibachs all around, Brembos, and Goodyear Eagle F1's on 18' wheels.

Will we ever see it? Who knows. Like I said, if Ford can find a reason not to include IRS in the Cobra, what reason do they have to add it to any other model.

I was at the big car show here tonight ..saw a Saleen(yawn) and a Steeda Q..now that looks like a Bos302..black and yellow!! I agree with your parts list there..i can't see myself driving a 500hp car in the city..my '01 cobra is enough of a beast around town...

Lightning247

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Established Member
Hmm let's look at this...

Ford gave us the Mach 1 when the 03/04 Cobra's came out. They were much faster then the GT's, but still not as fast as the Cobra's.

The new Cobra leaves a HUGE gap in performance between the GT and itself. I think there is a prime position for a 5.0L Stroker or Big Bore N/A car in between. Boss 302? Not a bad idea at ALL in my opinion. If Ford hasn't thought of that crap we should call someone...

Philip

crazyhorse06

Established Member
I think we will see something with a N/A 5.4 or maybe a S/C 4.6 3valve. I seriously doubt IRS will make it into a SE before the Cobra. I do think Ford will eventually bring IRS back to the Cobra when the sales taper off in a couple of years. Them Maybe a SE will get IRS.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
N/a 5.4 would most likely be dropped in over the 5.0 mod motor. I believe it would actually be much cheaper for Ford to go the 5.4 route over the 5.0. I would really love to see something like this in the near future. I say screw the IRS make it exactly like the Mach 1 right now except with the 5.4 It should be a car that is relatively affordable, slightly more than a GT and less than a cobra.

Paul

Paleoc

Established Member
Lightning247 said:
Hmm let's look at this...

Ford gave us the Mach 1 when the 03/04 Cobra's came out. They were much faster then the GT's, but still not as fast as the Cobra's.

The new Cobra leaves a HUGE gap in performance between the GT and itself. I think there is a prime position for a 5.0L Stroker or Big Bore N/A car in between. Boss 302? Not a bad idea at ALL in my opinion. If Ford hasn't thought of that crap we should call someone...

Philip
I suspect we can look back at the 68-70 mustangs as a potential example: In those they made a bundle of different models: base mustang (fastback or notch back), grande, cs, mach-1 (with multiple engine options), GT, GT-350, GT-500, Boss 302, Boss 429. They made so many in fact that they made the major business error of making mustang models that overlapped and competed for the same market share with other mustang models. Now (or in just over a year) there will be 3 on the market, base, GT, GT-500, however that leaves a large price gap between the GT and the GT-500 of from $12-15K depending on how the GT is equipped. This is an excellent range in which to drop in another model. In previous years they slipped in a Bullitt or Mach-1 here. In other posts I have seen that Grabber Orange may be a 2007 color option and that may be a hint. In 69-70 that was a color for the Boss cars. Since a performance 5-liter engine exists, this would be a perfect slot to fit in a SVT Boss-302 mustang. The emissions is easily solvable and I suspect already solved by their engineers. The 69-70 Boss 302 was designed as TransAm handling mustang and this could be the SVT mustang for the future. With less torque than the supercharged 5.4 liter engine, Ford would fret less about breakage of the IRS under warranty. It would give all the loyal SVT owners a pure SVT car (minus the Shelby badges which seem to deeply offend some of the anger management cases here) with the handling and IRS they want plus give Ford an outstanding handling car for the racing circuits. They could price the car in the middle of the GT and GT-500 probably in the low-mid $30k range.

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
grandestang said:
N/a 5.4 would most likely be dropped in over the 5.0 mod motor. I believe it would actually be much cheaper for Ford to go the 5.4 route over the 5.0. I would really love to see something like this in the near future. I say screw the IRS make it exactly like the Mach 1 right now except with the 5.4 It should be a car that is relatively affordable, slightly more than a GT and less than a cobra.

Paul

Why? I would figure the GT500 would be a digger's wet dream. You're not getting the dreaded IRS :rollseyes

We're talking about a Boss 302...something for the handling guys. You want a drag car, you have the GT or the Shelby.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Paleoc said:
The 69-70 Boss 302 was designed as TransAm handling mustang and this could be the SVT mustang for the future. With less torque than the supercharged 5.4 liter engine, Ford would fret less about breakage of the IRS under warranty. It would give all the loyal SVT owners a pure SVT car (minus the Shelby badges which seem to deeply offend some of the anger management cases here) with the handling and IRS they want plus give Ford an outstanding handling car for the racing circuits. They could price the car in the middle of the GT and GT-500 probably in the low-mid $30k range.

I always thought a new BOSS built by SVT would be cool. The BOSS will always be remembered for it's TransAm roadracing heritage. I've posting the idea (with a lot of others) that the handling-enhanced verison should be called the SHELBY GT-350, but the BOSS heritage is just as strong in my mind. Is it the "SVT BOSS Cobra" or the "SVT BOSS Mustang"? Your positioning between GT and GT-500 would be great, but I wonder if we can get a new IRS AND a strong N/A aluminum block for that price. If we can get all that and a lighter weight car I think it would worth the price of the GT-500 (minus blanking dealer markups that is).

Paleoc

Established Member
The Bosses were made by a special division of Ford sort of like SVT. In fact in the 1980's there was another organization called SVO and they made a SVO mustang for a couple of years with a turbo charged 4 cylinder.

The original BOSS mustangs were not shelbys/cobras and I would think that a new Boss would simply be a SVT Boss Mustang.

Fourcam330

Established Member
You'll never see a big bore 5.0L in production. Bring on a N/A GT head 5.4L with VCT, sounds like a good Mach/Boss motor to me.

Joes66Pony

Dump the SRA
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
You'll never see a big bore 5.0L in production. Bring on a N/A GT head 5.4L with VCT, sounds like a good Mach/Boss motor to me.

I don't understand how aftermarket companies like SHM can offer 5.0L Modular blocks that can be built into street legal engines, but Ford can't.

I'd have no problem with the 5.4 if it was offered in aluminum. Bring back the Teksid blocks!

But either way...any Boss Mustang must have IRS.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Spoke to guy today who was driving a nicely modded Acura Intregra...color of the car was Madarin (sp?) Orange. Soft metallic with slight pearl effect. Truly stunning. Made me think of the Boss 302...would be a great color for a New Boss. New version should come with some wild color options...bright blue, bright lime green (too MOPAR?), yeller. Yeah, I guess a SVT Boss Cobra would be a bit confusing....kinda like referring to a horse as a snake.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
I don't understand how aftermarket companies like SHM can offer 5.0L Modular blocks that can be built into street legal engines, but Ford can't.

I'd have no problem with the 5.4 if it was offered in aluminum. Bring back the Teksid blocks!

But either way...any Boss Mustang must have IRS.

Aftermarket companies like SHM, VT, MP, etc. all offer big bore 305 Modulars because they don't have to carry warranties, nor does FRPP. You'll never see one in production for that simple reason, they would have to be warrantied.
BTW, the 5.4L block is offered in Aluminum, the Ford GT block. It can also be big bored to 358" (3.70"x4.165"). My GT block 5.5 is just .020" over.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I say keep your eyes open for the 06-07 Mach 1. This car might be the non-supercharged version of 07 cobra, with the shaker hood, making around 375hp. This would put it 75hp above the GT and 75hp below the Cobra. Fits right in doesn't it?

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Joes66Pony said:
Why? I would figure the GT500 would be a digger's wet dream. You're not getting the dreaded IRS :rollseyes

We're talking about a Boss 302...something for the handling guys. You want a drag car, you have the GT or the Shelby.

What are you trying to say, that a solid rear cannot handle well?? A solid rear can outhandle an IRS very easily, it has been done again and again. The Boss 302 itself had a solid rear and don't say "thats because the technology wasn't there" because vettes had IRS before stangs even existed. Did the Boss 302 have a handling problem? No, it actually was able to outhandle vettes that HAD IRS!

With a solid rear you'd have a car that is cheaper, lighter, no wheelhop, and handling just as good. The ride quality is the only thing that would be compromised and with the new platform the solid rear GTs actually have better ride quality than the 03/04 cobras.

I don't need a drag car, but do I want it to wheelhop, be a pig, and wheelhop? No. You want IRS, get a vette.

Paul

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
The 5.0 is too expensive to mass produce. I would bet on a 3V 5.4 as the most likely motor for an SE. Even with an aluminum block, it would not cost much to produce. I could see a GT350 with an IRS around 30-33k msrp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread