New Best ET in the Cobra

NXGHOST

Established Member
Managed a new personal best Saturday in the Cobra. Just a few suspension mods from last time out and I dropped 3 tenths without losing drivability! I am quite happy with the time considering the car is a very mild build. (Left out Cosmetic mods)

1996 Cobra
100% Stock Drivetrain including airbox and pullies
BBK Headers, BBK Midpipe and MAC Catback
NX 50HP Wet Shot of Nitrous
Lakewood 70/30 in the front, 50/50’s in rear
Ford B Springs
Maximum Motorsports Lower Control Arms
Steeda Heavy Duty Uppers
Ford Motorsports 4.30 gears
Hoosier 26X11.5X15 Quick Time Pro’s (I absolutely LOVE these tires)
No tune at this point

Drove there on the tires (DOT), teched and staged… 60’ times were in the 1.65 range. Nothing wild but this car drives great on the street

N/A run 12.90@102-104MPH
Nitrous Run 12.40@111MPH

I am sure 12.20’s-12.30’s are possible with lower tire pressure and higher RPM launches but breaking was not a goal of the day! LOL

cobraboy169

Speed. . . My Anti-Drug
Established Member
that is very inpressive times. We have about the same set up. I have cams, and short runner intake but I also don't ahve my suspension on yet and I cut a 13.2 @104 na and 12.4 @111 with a 100 shot. I am buying my suspension this week and I am looking to put on Lakewood 70/30s in the front. Why did you put 50/50s on the rear instead of 70/30s? I was told by the people at Summit Racing that I would not need to put shocks in the rear. What is your .02 on the shocks?

NXGHOST

Established Member
epracmetcon said:
Were you spraying out of the hole?

YES. If you dont your MPH will go up but your ET will barely lower. The first 60' is where you need to make time.

NXGHOST

Established Member
cobraboy169 said:
that is very inpressive times. We have about the same set up. I have cams, and short runner intake but I also don't ahve my suspension on yet and I cut a 13.2 @104 na and 12.4 @111 with a 100 shot. I am buying my suspension this week and I am looking to put on Lakewood 70/30s in the front. Why did you put 50/50s on the rear instead of 70/30s? I was told by the people at Summit Racing that I would not need to put shocks in the rear. What is your .02 on the shocks?

I likely didnt need to put anything in the rear but I figured why not!? I dont like mixing and matching so i ran Lakewoods all the way around. My rear was not squating with the 50/50's and I am sure it would have with stock shocks, you DO NOT want squating.

JIMS SVT

Established Member
cobraboy169 said:
Why did you put 50/50s on the rear instead of 70/30s? ?
Because 73/30's are a strut.They go on the front.50/50 is a shock they go on the rear.What you guys need is the strage 10 way adjustable struts and shocks.They work greta.I had lakewood 90/10's and 3 way adj rears.I went from those to the strages stuff and went from a 1.52 60 to a 1.43.They work.You just have to adjust on them to the conditions of the track.

cobraboy169

Speed. . . My Anti-Drug
Established Member
Jims SVT how do you go about adjusting them? Is there a special tool that one has to buy in order to adjust them? What happens where one adjusts them? Sorry NXGhost not trying to steal the tread away from your times.

NXGHOST

Established Member
JIMS SVT said:
Because 73/30's are a strut.They go on the front.50/50 is a shock they go on the rear.What you guys need is the strage 10 way adjustable struts and shocks.They work greta.I had lakewood 90/10's and 3 way adj rears.I went from those to the strages stuff and went from a 1.52 60 to a 1.43.They work.You just have to adjust on them to the conditions of the track.

Jim, I replaced the Starnge 10 ways I had with the Lakewoods. The problem I had with the Strange 10 ways is they were only single adjustable. I dont have the power or weight you are running (120MPH). When I loosened up the Struts the front end would come up and the car would grab. Two feet later the front would drop and the rear would unload blowing the tires loose.This would happen because I dont have the power to hold the front up long enough If I adjusted them firmer the front would not come up enough for weight transfer and I would blow the tires off on the line. With the 70/30's the front comes up nice and stays there. Every car is different, this is what worked for me, Trust me, I tried adjusting the hell out of the strange units.

Users who are viewing this thread