New balljoint is creaking.....

bornatiger

Established Member
I just put it on maybe 4 moths ago. Can the grease come out that fast?:??:
Its a moog balljoint. They are supposed to be good.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Grease them up again and see if that takes care of the creaking...you sure its the balljoints and not something else like rack & pinion/tie rods

bornatiger

Established Member
I got under there with a stethescope (sp). Its definetly coming from the driver side ball joint. There was grease all around the boot. Gonna grease it this weekend. I hope that fixes it.

I thought it was the rack because I just replaced everything else. Nope!

tcstang17

Established Member
I had the same problems with Moog ball joints on my F150. I work for Firestone and see a lot of them coming back lately. Wonder if they're having quality issues. Sure they're lifetime but its still a PITA to replace or have them replaced.

bornatiger

Established Member
I greased it up and....still creaking like crazy. I already had some new rack bushings, so I put those on with my fingers crossed......still creaking like crazy. The passenger side is fine. If I have to, can I just replace one ball joint?

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I know you said the sound is coming from the balljoint but I have a suggestion. I thought I had a bad balljoint too one time, but it ended up being one of the control arm bolts was SLIGHTLY loose. I mean I could only crank the nut on the bolt like a tiny amount, but that was all that needed to happen for the noise to go away. Figured I'd throw it out there.

bornatiger

Established Member
I know you said the sound is coming from the balljoint but I have a suggestion. I thought I had a bad balljoint too one time, but it ended up being one of the control arm bolts was SLIGHTLY loose. I mean I could only crank the nut on the bolt like a tiny amount, but that was all that needed to happen for the noise to go away. Figured I'd throw it out there.
My plan now is to tighten every damn thing I can put a wrench on. Lol
If that doesn't work I will be replacing the balljoint. Which freakin sucks!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
When tightening th control arm bolts, be sure to tighten them while there is full weight on the arm. For example, Jack the car up under the control arm.

bornatiger

Established Member
Ok! The noise is coming from the sleeve that the rack bushings go around and the bolt goes though. How the hell do I fix that???:shrug:

bornatiger

Established Member
I just ordered the sleeves. I hope this takes care of the noise. Its f&*kin annoying and it sounds like I'm driving a piece of shite!

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Ok! The noise is coming from the sleeve that the rack bushings go around and the bolt goes though. How the hell do I fix that???:shrug:

This was going to be my suggestion but you beat me to it

(yay for someone who reads the thread responses before responding themselves lol)

This fix was a Ford tech bulletin awhile back as it was reported to be a problem with cars as far back as '96.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Best way to emedy that is a set of MM solid rack bushings. It's a noticeable difference in steering response.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
No, but they will improve steering and handling while eliminating your creaks. Buy the sleeves and buy the solid bushings. They are only $40. Why not so some preventative maintenance and replace the dried out rubber bushings.

bornatiger

Established Member
No, but they will improve steering and handling while eliminating your creaks. Buy the sleeves and buy the solid bushings. They are only $40. Why not so some preventative maintenance and replace the dried out rubber bushings.
The bushings are brand new! That's how I figured out the noise was coming from the sleeve (the driver side is very wobly until I tighten it down, the pass. side is in there pretty solid). It is a pretty easy job, messing with the rack. I will eventually get the solid bushings. I just want to get rid of the shit noise that's coming out from under there right now. I was about to put a new clutch and aluminum flywheel in myself. Then this god awful racket started.:nonono:

bornatiger

Established Member
I am at a loss. The sleeves are in. I tightened everything. If its the ball joint then so be it. It just doesn't sound like its coming from there. Who do I contact to get a new one or reimbursed for a new one.

The only thing I noticed was the spring was poking out of the iso about an inch. It looked like it could be touching/rubbing the control arm. Any more suggestions?:??:

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
careful about those MM solid rack bushings; if you ever decide to install a tubular k-member, those solid bushings will not work with any brand other than a Maximum Motorsports tubular k-member.

tighten down those steering rack bolts more.

bornatiger

Established Member
As you guys probably can tell, I am new to mustangs all together.
Got everything apart this morning. The ball joint was fine. The damn front bushing on the control arm is shot. I sprayed white lithium greaseon it for now. The noise is gone. Finally some silence :rockon:

What bushing should I get? How much of a pain in the ass is it to take the old ones out and put the new ones in?

Users who are viewing this thread