New A7x album

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I'll be the first to admit that I was a bit skeptical of how this album would turn out. After I heard Nightmare, I thought to myself "oh god, here comes a bitter memoir to Rev in the key of typical mainstream watered down A7x." But with Portnoy behind the kit for this album, I still had hope. Being a fan of the band himself, he was hellbent on picking up Rev's sound to keep the sound authentic.

Well I got two out of three. The CD is littered with references to Jimmy's death. However, I was pleasantly surprised by its overall quality. It's a great fusion of Waking the Fallen, City of Evil and Self Titled with a natural maturation and progression of the band's sound (part of which can probably be attributed to having a legend in the studio, not to mention that Portnoy forgets more drum and music theory everyday than I learn)

He also did a fantastic job making it sound like Avenged. A few times throughout the CD I forgot that he was drumming because it blended so well.

There's more ballads than I would have liked and I feel like they take away from how well they did on the heavier stuff. I'll let em play but they're not to my taste.

It's also a darker album than the past couple. Instead of long, melodic guitar riffs and hooks, they've cranked the gain and let those low strings come to life. Even the slower songs have a much darker feel. Vocals are brutal at some points a la Seventh Trumpet and that was very refreshing and even brought a smile to my face. I wish Syn would have plugged into his Bogner for this album but what can you do? Still sounds good.

The last track on the album is called Save Me and it's almost 11 minutes long. It's a very interesting track because you can distinctly hear the progressions of the band throughout the years. Not sure if this was on purpose, but you can clearly tell what parts were influenced by Seventh Trumpet, City of Evil, etc.

I still need a few more listens before I can make solid judgment but so far it's been better than expectations.

Anyways, if anyone else has picked this up yet let's hear some thoughts.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I may have acquired the album early but I'm not against purchasing music from bands that deserve it. I'll go out and buy this album because I really like the band and I don't mind supporting them. However, bands/artists who are clearly in it for the money/girls and not the love of music don't deserve it. Sorry Drake, I will not be purchasing your album.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
Im not big on downloading music from bands that I love. I have 2 sevenfold themed tats, greatest band in the world in my eyes or ears.

They're easily in my Top 5. The band that broke me out of my teenager Malibu's Most Wanted rapper-wannabe phase (Thank god. We've all been there) and I've been a huge fan ever since.

I think their musical talent is very underrated. I see a lot of people bashing Syn, saying he uses massive gain to cover up his mistakes, etc etc. In reality, what you DON'T hear from A7x is a simple, power chord, palm muted, chugging verse with some more power chords in the chorus and the drums/bass are just there to keep time and rhythm. Every instrument in that band is extremely diverse and it keeps the music fresh. All That Remains, As I Lay Dying...they're cool but it gets old. Every member of A7x has their own style and they blend very nicely.

As a drummer, I've said for a long time that The Rev is (well, was) one of the greatest drummers alive. Listen to their albums, see them live, the way he moves all over the kit and seamlessly changes tempo sets the tone for the entire band. He really was the maestro.

clbailey

Established Member
Their musical talent compared to most bands now a days is what makes them my favorite band. I still like sevendust, killswitch, godsmack, atreyu, bfmv. But nothing is more hands down better than a7x.

The thing I like most about em is their live show. Not a single bit different from the way it sounds on the album. Save for added content beforehand.

Bands like killswitch cant compare to the live show sevenfold puts on.

Jaysin

Established Member
Interesting to hear that Portnoy is drumming for them. I will pass, not a fan of these guys at all.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I don't know what the inverse is for "growing on you" but this album is starting to grow OFF me. The more I listen to it the more it starts to sound like a rock opera/fairy tale/movie soundtrack. Just too slow and too many "wah wah our friend died" songs. Don't get me wrong, I miss Rev but Avenged has written too many ballads already. (See: Seize the Day, Dear God, Little Piece of Heaven, etc)

The turning point for me was when I put on Waking the Fallen, then Nightmare, then City of Evil, then Nightmare again and it just wasn't even close; that's not even taking Sounding the Seventh Trumpet into consideration.

They're still really talented but as with most bands that see fame and success over time, I fear we'll never see that Avenged Sevenfold again.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I can't wait to get my hands on this album tomorrow. Definitely not a fan of illegally downloading music from bands I love.

I've heard a couple of the songs and have been fairly impressed so far. The thing about Avenged Sevenfold is that they are definitely one of those bands that the more you listen to any of their CDs the more an dmore you like it. Their songs tend to grow on you more than any other band that I've ever listened to. Also, it seems like they never get old.

I bought tickets to see them here in Chicago when they come for the Uproar tour in August. They are co-headlining with Disturbed. Should be an awesome show. Anyone else checking out the Uproar tour?

Paul

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
my local station has been playing out Nightmare for the past 2mo now. They started playing the next song about a week ago but it hasnt caught on like Nightmare did.

Though Nightmare gets stuck in my head more than any other A7x song ever has.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I can't wait to get my hands on this album tomorrow. Definitely not a fan of illegally downloading music from bands I love.

I've heard a couple of the songs and have been fairly impressed so far. The thing about Avenged Sevenfold is that they are definitely one of those bands that the more you listen to any of their CDs the more an dmore you like it. Their songs tend to grow on you more than any other band that I've ever listened to. Also, it seems like they never get old.

I bought tickets to see them here in Chicago when they come for the Uproar tour in August. They are co-headlining with Disturbed. Should be an awesome show. Anyone else checking out the Uproar tour?

Paul

I saw them almost 2 years ago and it was amazing.

i would definalty see them again.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I downloaded this and I really dig it.

Doesnt sound much diffrent than their other stuff

:beer:

M3xpress

Established Member
I've heard Nightmare and Natural Born Killer, I like both of those songs. I need to listen to the whole album though.

Users who are viewing this thread