New 60-130 Time

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
I know most people with mustangs are more into the 1/4 mile than roll racing, but maybe some enthusiasm for 60-130 pulls for mustangs can be built!

I posted my baseline when my car was stock of 14.05 seconds.

Atmospheric conditions: 68F, 30.02, 80% humidity, sea level

Then after adding my tune and h-pipe I went 13.10 seconds with 78F, 29.93, 80% humidity and sea level. The after mod time was nearly a second better despite that it was 10 degrees warmer and there was lower pressure.

Then I got some air recently that was more similar to my baseline pull 70F, 29.98, 60% humidity and improved the time pretty big again, 12.42 seconds.

So with $700 in mods I dropped 1.63 seconds 60-130. I was pretty confident up front that the best bang for the buck mods would be the tune and o/r h pipe and I'm definitely happy with the results.

If you are interested in doing pulls like this to compare your car vs other cars with different mods and see performance gains let me know. We could start a list of times with specific mods. The first thing you need is a Performance Box, it is ~$500 but a great tool and comes with great software to do analysis afterward.

I'm especially curious what times these 5.0 with superchargers would be able to run.

acrbill

Established Member
There are a lot of variables in drag racing and tests like this take several of them out.

cmsnake

Established Member
Thanks for sharing. Ive been intereseted in this time as well. Awesome how much your time improved with the minimal mods.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Our 5.0s are not the most aerodynamic so that hurts the time a little but I'd really be interested in seeing times of camaros, challengers, vettes, m3, etc cars that are in similar performance and power range.

I'd also really be interested in testing the boss manifold. If anyone was about to install one and near me and didn't want to drop the $500 I'd be up to driving a little ways to loan my Pbox for some before and after timing.

The peak power above 7k is there with the boss intake but I'd really like to see how much area under the curve is improved by staying under 7200.

I was pretty pumped how much of a difference those two mods made, I'd also really like to test before and after a CAI.

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
130mph on public roads here in Florida? I'll ignore the legal aspect, and just point out you're not only putting your self at risk, but all the other drivers just trying to get home from work to see their families.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Yeah doing that in Orlando would be tough but over here in Tampa you could do it all day long on I-75.

130mph on public roads here in Florida? I'll ignore the legal aspect, and just point out you're not only putting your self at risk, but all the other drivers just trying to get home from work to see their families.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Always at least one in every crowd...

I'll ignore that your whole nanny boo-who post is based purely on assumption and point out that there is a whole category of street racing near the top of this forum that you better go offer your services too.

:loser:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Late at night? Hours of extremely low traffic? Possible?

Always at least one in every crowd...

I'll ignore that your whole nanny boo-who post is based purely on assumption and point out that there is a whole category of street racing near the top of this forum that you better go offer your services too.

:loser:

:lol1:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Nice gain...... Powaaaaa u need MOAR!

IMG00042-20101125-1106.jpg

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Sweet, someone else does have a Pbox!

Holy crap btw, that must not be a stock gt500, what kinda power are you putting down to run that kinda time?

I'm hoping that with some good air I can get into the 10s NA.

That is a great time!:thumbsup:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Borrowed that box from a buddy. Car was around 770 to the tire when that pull was made. One shift 3-4.

The guy who's box it is has a TT 997 pulled a 4.3x iirc on that box.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
12.? I finally bit the bullet and installed the intake and JLT 93 street tune. I also have the Borla Touring axle back. Those are the only mods. Hit a bump at 80ish and didn't realize I had to shift to 5th to reach 130... haha 6M with 3.31's

th_VIDEO0004.jpg

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
kdanner,

When you say data logs off the processor are you referring to data logging off the obdII port using a handheld or livelink? I wonder what type of precision that has.

The Performance Box is a 10 Hz GPS receiver, plug it into your cigarette lighter stick it low on your windshield with its suction cups and your good to go.

What is really awesome about the Pbox is you can see your shifts so you know how fast/slow they are. Also, since it is GPS you can get all the TSPI data you can imagine including lateral and longitudinal accelerations.

That is a good time though, how is the 4.30 in the auto, first gear must just melt the tires!

stkjock,

You don't need to hit 5th to get to 130? I guess I never looked at the gt500 gearing, must be taller.

mebcop,

Hard to pinpoint with video but definitely looks like between 12-13, that's a good run for tune, intake.

Maybe I'll break down and buy a CAI and do a before/after and see what they really are worth.

With single gear pulls for consistency I found that the hpipe was worth ~15hp and the tune was ~20hp. Would be nice to find the CAI really was worth 10-15hp.

Keep um coming folks!

Buy those Pboxes!!! (no I don't work for Racelogic or get kick backs)

:rockon:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
But then I also thought, you're going to have some margin of error on GPS as well, and it doesn't appear that it is even showing you how many samples per second you're getting with that, I highly suspect it would be fewer samples thus a higher margin of error.

It is a 10Hz GPS receiver. My only thoughts with using the obdII port is it is relying on the speedo basically to tell you your speed which is not going to be as accurate as GPS no matter what the sampling rate. It probably is consistent (which is important) and I would imagine it is pretty accurate, I'd be interested in seeing the relationship between the two. In fact I might do that soon myself. I'll hook up my GPS and livelink and see how much variation there is between the speed the two are indicating.

Edit: I meant to mention, on the CAI, my experience at the track is that they are worth maybe, maybe, half a tenth and I'm hesitant to even say that much. Yes, I know they show a bunch of power on the dyno, which is with the hood open.

I've always suspected that the environment at the dyno helps the CAIs and that they may not really provide the area under the curve that is suggested.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
CPE - no I can go to about 135 with a 26.4" tire. With a 28" I can go 145 ish letting it rev to 6800 IIRC

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
I wish I could avoid the 5th gear shift for 130....

Even at best its 3 tenths for a shift... oh well hehe

I still hope I can hit 10s NA, might require back seat delete but eh....

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
It is a 10Hz GPS receiver. My only thoughts with using the obdII port is it is relying on the speedo basically to tell you your speed which is not going to be as accurate as GPS no matter what the sampling rate. It probably is consistent (which is important) and I would imagine it is pretty accurate, I'd be interested in seeing the relationship between the two. In fact I might do that soon myself. I'll hook up my GPS and livelink and see how much variation there is between the speed the two are indicating.

The livelink has a slow sampling rate compared to a lot of the scan tools. Using the dealer-level IDS the sampling rate is very high. And you're not reading off the speedometer, it's pulled directly from the speed sensor- in the car, that signal is then sent off over the CAN bus to the instrument cluster. GPS units have long been known for being slow to refresh, the new 10hz is better but.. I would be far more comfortable pulling truly accurate numbers from the car's electronics.

Then there is the little issue of having to go arrest-me speeds to know where you're at with the new benchmark. Too risky for me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread