New 331 Plus Lot's More (lot's of pics)

9T3SVT

Established Member
I got a really good deal on a Forged, O-Ringed, Canfield headed 331 so I bought it. The motor was built with boost in mind, I bought it complete with a Trickflow track heat intake, Canton 7qt pan, Billet steel flywheel, and a FMS SFI balancer. The heads have been stage 2 ported at Flowtech Induction. The TFS was also port matched at flowtech and the motor was balanced and blueprinted by Keith Kraft. It sports an Anderson B-41 blower cam, and a Nowak girdle. I'm not thrilled that it's a stock block but it's worlds better than the old 118K mile oil pump.

To complete the new setup I also bought an SCT BA2600 maf, AIS methanol injection system, Maximum Motorsports steering shaft, S&B air filter, and Racetronix 42lb fuel injectors.

It made 502RWHP and 468RWTQ, we tuned it with the MSD BTM pulling out .5 degrees of timing. The blower hit 11.5lbs of boost at 5700rpms. Needless to say I am happy with the results. The car pulls hard and it gets up a hell of a lot quicker than it used to. Top end has only been limited by the weak T5 and 3.73's. All I need now it a torque arm PHB setup and a stronger transmission.

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
I dont know about the paint in the lifter valley. It can start to peel and get into your oil. Did you paint it or did the builder paint it?

Looks nice otherwise.

Take it easy on that stock block, those are nice HP #s. A pms should be next on your list. I wouldnt rely on that BTM to keep the tune safe.

9T3SVT

Established Member
I dont know about the paint in the lifter valley. It can start to peel and get into your oil. Did you paint it or did the builder paint it?

Take it easy on that stock block, those are nice HP #s. A pms should be next on your list. I wouldnt rely on that BTM to keep the tune safe.

The painted lifter valley is signature Keith Kraft, it's not an issue and they've done it for years.

I had a PMS and I sold it the same week, not all it's cracked up to be. The tune is done via an SCT chip and the air fuel never goes above 11.4.

I've been at this hobby for a good many years, I'm not a kid asking what my HP numbers are going to be. I know what the stock block can handle and I'm not afraid to push it. If it pops then I'll save and get a Dart block ;-)

Teal93

Those are good numbers.:rockon: But my tuner on my car who owns 8.0 car on drag radials told me not to trust that btm either. But if you have a custom tune then that btm wouldnt matter any way if you leave it on 0. I just dont want you to hurt it, because I know it takes months and even years for some of us to do some thing like this to our cars. Sweet car dude. Also about that pms what kind of problems did you have with it. I was thinking of getting it when build my man o war 371

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxSnk

Established Member
It's a high-temp paint which in theory "fills-in" the inconsistent surface of the iron which allows the oil to more efficiently flow back to the crankcase. It's a consistent practice with most professional builders.

9T3SVT

Established Member
Those are good numbers.:rockon: But my tuner on my car who owns 8.0 car on drag radials told me not to trust that btm either. But if you have a custom tune then that btm wouldnt matter any way if you leave it on 0. I just dont want you to hurt it, because I know it takes months and even years for some of us to do some thing like this to our cars. Sweet car dude. Also about that pms what kind of problems did you have with it. I was thinking of getting it when build my man o war 371

I only use the BTM for weather changes and to reduce timing under boost. You can't set it to zero per the instructions that's why we did the tune with dial set at .5 degrees. I moved the dial to pull 1 degree out and the car made 485 consistently.

The PMS has to many features and not enough support. There isn't a ton of reliable users posting tech info for it either. You can get started with it on the www.stangtuning.com forums but the questions and answers are all the same. I had my tune done by a good friend, I know it's safe and the car runs like a raped ape.

racerbox77

Established Member
I only use the BTM for weather changes and to reduce timing under boost. You can't set it to zero per the instructions that's why we did the tune with dial set at .5 degrees. I moved the dial to pull 1 degree out and the car made 485 consistently.

The PMS has to many features and not enough support. There isn't a ton of reliable users posting tech info for it either. You can get started with it on the www.stangtuning.com forums but the questions and answers are all the same. I had my tune done by a good friend, I know it's safe and the car runs like a raped ape.

Does it say why you cant set the boost retard to zero? When run race gas I turn mine to 0.

9T3SVT

Established Member
Vewry nice car. Where did you get the rear seat delete Kit?

I had it made at a local stereo shop in Temecula, CA.

Old thread link

Does it say why you cant set the boost retard to zero? When run race gas I turn mine to 0.

It doesn't say why, it just clearly states not to have it set to zero. It probably doesn't matter anyway.

With those rwhp #'s your car should be runnin about what mine does. Are you going to the track soon?

Out here there aren't many good tracks plus the trans can't take too much more abuse. Mostly I just play with ricers and euro trash on the freeways :burnout:

MillCreekMafia

Established Member
hey man, love all the work you've done to that thing, the rear seat delete/storage is really interesting, and caught my eye. I think it looks really nice. I run a PMS in my car and love it. If you only spent a week using yours though i can understand why you didn't lol. It took me a little while to get the tune right in my car, and to get past the "I hope i don't blow this thing up" phase, but now it's cake, and seems like second nature to me. As far as the BTM question goes that was on here, They warn you not to set it to 0 because then you wouldn't be pulling any timing out for the added boost, and thus blowing a headgasket or worse being the result. So the norm as stated in the instructions is -1* per psi of boost for "race" applications, and -3* per psi for grocery getting. Racerbox77 I know a guy local here who used to fill up on race gas and turn his to zero as well with safe results... however forgot one day and left it on zero when he filled up on pump gas and blew a head gasket lol.

carguy19

Established Member
The painted lifter valley is signature Keith Kraft, it's not an issue and they've done it for years.

I had a PMS and I sold it the same week, not all it's cracked up to be. The tune is done via an SCT chip and the air fuel never goes above 11.4.

I've been at this hobby for a good many years, I'm not a kid asking what my HP numbers are going to be. I know what the stock block can handle and I'm not afraid to push it. If it pops then I'll save and get a Dart block ;-)

Im not trying to debate you about it, just never saw the valley painted like that.

I never heard anyone say a PMS wasn't all it was cracked up to be if it was installed and tuned right. And that they favored a SCT chip, but to each his own I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread