New 2014 Owner -- Back In a Mustang -- Tune Opinions

AWESOMO 4000

Established Member
Hello -

Back in a new 5.0L GT, coming from a 2012 Challenger R/T and formerly a 2007 Mustang GT. Had an Bama Tune (the original...) on my 07 and it ran remarkably well. I understand that Bama is not the greatest for the 5.0L Coyote, and the AED seems to get the nod it appears.

Was waffling between AED, and either the ProCal or a Steeda Tune -- mainly due to the Ford connection with the other two and lessening the chances of something bad happening, though after much searching it doesn't seem like anyone's really had a poor AED experience.

Questions are:

For those who have had either of these three, what was your opinion of them? Anyone really better than the other?

For mods, I'm looking at tune -- maybe an X-pipe. Trying to gauge what I'd gain with just a tune; manual, 3.73s, Brembos, Premium package with leather Recaros. Hoping for mid-12s @ 114ish....

Are CAIs still viewed as a waste of time for these cars? And are K&Ns/AEM panel filters any better if you DO have a tune -- versus the test on here that shows K&N losing 5hp over the stock paper filter?

Yes I did some searching...just looking for some recent feedback and opinions, especially if you'd had more than one of these tunes to compare against...

Thanks -

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Just save yourself the trouble and money and go strait with AED, You will be glad you did:beer:

yep, don't waste your time/money with a pro cal or steeda tune...You will be happy for a day or two, then you will want more! I personally don't give a shit about the Ford warranty, would never want the dealership knuckle-draggers ever touching my car.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
I watched and got a good deal on an AirRaid, seemed from the research I did had the best fitment. Have to watch the water issue, but the stainless steel cover works just be sure to order it with that as well. The CAI isn't really a necessity unless you are tuning.

Get your SCT tuner, get your baseline logs, then do the exhaust intake and tune on the same weekend. You need a tune to run the AirRaid without the MAF spacer tube installed, so instead of doing the work twice you get your baseline logs done stock, then when Sean does his baseline tune for you, install the goodies! You are looking at 40+ horse from those mods. About 8-12 hp on the intake, 8-12 hp on the tune (athough that is not the whole story) and 20 hp on the cat delete / xpipe. I would do that before you change your mufllers too, because my stock mufflers sound awesome with this combo.

The added power is nice, but the torque curve through the midrange is transformed. The tone too that comes
for under the car in the mid RPM range is completely different after the intake and tune. I didn't realize before the tune just how much that changed the sound of the X-pipe, but it sure did. The car never stops pulling, I have given up somewhere near the 150 mph range and it doesn't feel like its letting up. It idles perfect, reverse is much easier (would stall all the time with stock tune). I would skip the lobe idle though, I used for 1 week but driving in 1st gear slow was such an issue I pulled it.

You can see I am assuming AED, because that really is the best option. If you get a used SCT tuner for a couple hundred bucks on the market here, its only a hundred bucks or so more than the other canned tunes, and you are dealing with the best tuner around.

Don't forget the oil separator, look to BOBs. That and hood struts are the first mods I did and most would say are 2 of the quickest and easiest mods that are must haves.

GT915

Established Member
The only tuning experience I have is with AED and I wouldn't have it any other way. I did my exhaust and tune all together and it completely transformed the car. It pulls a lot harder than before and sounds bitchin while doing it. I have run the lope tune for more that a year now and I never tire of it. While the car does shake a bit at idle, like a cammed up car would, I have no stalling or driveability issues as long as I blip the throttle to get it over 1k rpm when taking off. I opted out of spending the money on a cai setup as I feel they only make power on a really cold day or on a dyno with the hood up and a fan blowing on it. They do look and sound cool though.

Speedwagon

Established Member
yep, don't waste your time/money with a pro cal or steeda tune...You will be happy for a day or two, then you will want more! I personally don't give a shit about the Ford warranty, would never want the dealership knuckle-draggers ever touching my car.

+1+1

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
+1 for AED here too. I road course track my car and the AED tune has been fantastic without a single issue. I also threw my car on a local dyno at a dyno day and it was spot on.

scott_0

Established Member
go with Shaun and AED, we get accused of being AED nutswingers on this board by another board, but its with good reason, Shaun knows these cars well and you will make smooth stock like driveability power. the logs he requires in order to tune your car means, you get pretty much a dyno tune

Nuar

Established Member
Go with AED man.
I had Bama at first. It was twitchy, and jerky. Their lope tune would stall ALL THE TIME ass soon as the car was warmed up, then shut off, upon restart, the lightest throttle input and let off would result in a stall.
Went to AED after that and I will never look back. Shaun is THE MAN when it comes to tuning the new coyote motors. The computers are different than previous fords so DO NOT just go to any old shop down the street to get a dyno tune. There are a lot of new variables to consider on the new coyote mustangs and the new ECU they use and Shaun from AED knows all the tricks.
As far as cold air intakes?
I have one, I like the look under the hood and I like the sound of the intake. It probably didn't get me much power (if any) over the stock intake, but like I said... I like it.
For the water through the hood vents, just get the cheap JLT vent plug. I have it and it works flawlessly.
Definitely get some mid pipe. That with the tune really wakes the car up.
Congrats on the car and enjoy the hell out of it.

P.S.
One of the reasons I went with an AED tune and chose to void my warranty is because even the stock Ford tune has a messed up programing where under some odd conditions you could blow your motor up. I wanted to keep it healthy regardless of warranty or not. I don't trust dealerships to change my oil, let alone replace a motor or a short block...

Rdrcr

Established Member
Hello -

Back in a new 5.0L GT, coming from a 2012 Challenger R/T and formerly a 2007 Mustang GT. Had an Bama Tune (the original...) on my 07 and it ran remarkably well. I understand that Bama is not the greatest for the 5.0L Coyote, and the AED seems to get the nod it appears.

Was waffling between AED, and either the ProCal or a Steeda Tune -- mainly due to the Ford connection with the other two and lessening the chances of something bad happening, though after much searching it doesn't seem like anyone's really had a poor AED experience.

Questions are:

For those who have had either of these three, what was your opinion of them? Anyone really better than the other?

For mods, I'm looking at tune -- maybe an X-pipe. Trying to gauge what I'd gain with just a tune; manual, 3.73s, Brembos, Premium package with leather Recaros. Hoping for mid-12s @ 114ish....

Are CAIs still viewed as a waste of time for these cars? And are K&Ns/AEM panel filters any better if you DO have a tune -- versus the test on here that shows K&N losing 5hp over the stock paper filter?

Yes I did some searching...just looking for some recent feedback and opinions, especially if you'd had more than one of these tunes to compare against...

Thanks -

Here are my thoughts on the AED...just finished my review (post #85);

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-Mustang-GT-Upgrades-and-Reviews-Thread/page4

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread